Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I want to become a Pilot

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    I don't need to prove it happened. Barrel rolls in wide bodied jets not designed for it pretty much defy the laws of physics and certainly go outside the design of the airframe. If you knew anything about such things you would know of the legend of the Dash-80 barrel roll and how utterly laughable your claim is. Please - save your tales for those who might believe you. Your credibility on anything aviation will only sink lower if you persist. 'Through a redwood forest' only makes it better BTW!
    Not sure what you guys are bickering over, but I'm guessing you're talking about a "jumbo jet" doign a barrel roll?

If so there's actually footage on youtube of it happening.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDizzeeKid)
    Sorry...I was just repeating what I've heard.
    This other guys a jerk, you're right. You only need the A-levels for the BA scheme, however if not all BA pilots atm went through the scheme to get their job.. DUH

Don't listen to him.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    *Technically* there's no reason why *any* aircraft couldn't do a barrel roll if it had a powerful enough engine. It's a 1g manoeuvre, and if performed correctly the combined rolling/ pulling g shouldn't overstress the aircraft.

The reality is that the flight dynamics of all aircraft are different and taking into account the highly swept and narrow wing profile of the 747 and the thrust to weight ratio (when the aircraft is empty) it would probably only be possible to do a very high speed and large diameter barrel without over-speeding or loading too much g.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    *Technically* there's no reason why *any* aircraft couldn't do a barrel roll if it had a powerful enough engine. It's a 1g manoeuvre, and if performed correctly the combined rolling/ pulling g shouldn't overstress the aircraft.
    I was waiting for you to come along with this Scheigg, but I'm disappointed that you didn't expand it into the the potential for rudder stall - obviously not enough hours spent over the GAFA recently!
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Don't be ridiculous. Such a maneuver is practically impossible on flight sim. No, this was a real maneuver performed in a real plane, by a real pilot in real life. You cannot prove this did not happen, so if you must agrue this point further I'd like to see a little more evidence. Jealousy gets you no-where...
    Trying to work out if a troll or a schizophrenic who needs to make up lies.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    This other guys a jerk, you're right. You only need the A-levels for the BA scheme, however if not all BA pilots atm went through the scheme to get their job.. DUH

Don't listen to him.
    I wish I could reply to this, but I can't even work out what your second sentence says, could you rewrite this in English?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    I was waiting for you to come along with this Scheigg, but I'm disappointed that you didn't expand it into the the potential for rudder stall - obviously not enough hours spent over the GAFA recently!
    You're right I suppose, everyone here is so amazingly well educated (especially compared to me) that I should have delved into the finer points of flight dynamics, but then we'd be like PPRuNe!

WRT your previous Q: I'm on Det so sadly I've no idea what's going on at home, sorry! Lots of time to debunk bolleaux myths on TSR though!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    I'm on Det so sadly I've no idea what's going on at home, sorry! Lots of time to debunk bolleaux myths on TSR though!
    Enjoy. Hope it's not too hot and within range of some Brandy Sours.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I wish I could reply to this, but I can't even work out what your second sentence says, could you rewrite this in English?
    Sorry I was tired.

I don't know how the hell I wrote that and thought it was correct.

To be on the BA scheme you need A-levels, but not all BA pilots got their job VIA the scheme, so yes there is pilots @ BA which don't have A-levels. I'm agrreeing with you
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was tired.

I don't know how the hell I wrote that and thought it was correct.

To be on the BA scheme you need A-levels, but not all BA pilots got their job VIA the scheme, so yes there is pilots @ BA which don't have A-levels. I'm agrreeing with you
    Fair enough, reading back, I did come across as a bit abrupt.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _vilaseca_)
    Yeah, coz everyone can spend hundreds of pounds every weekend going flying. A lot of pilots had no experience when they started training. Get real.
    Listen, flying is my passion. I'm ****ing broke because of it, but I don't care. If you're not willing to invest the field isn't for you.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Listen, flying is my passion. I'm ****ing broke because of it, but I don't care. If you're not willing to invest the field isn't for you.
    As he pointed out, not everyone has a mummy and daddy who can pay £200 a week for lessons.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can go to Oxford aviationschool in order to get your Commercial Pilots Licence. Thats going to set you back at least £80000
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _vilaseca_)
    People cant invest coz they dont have the money in the first place is the point im making. Besides, you dont have to spend money to go on trial flights, i got plenty of free flights in air cadets.
    I was in the air cadets too. And technically it's not free seeing as you have to pay subs for air cadets.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to point out that unless you do a flying scholarship, going up in a Tutor when in the cadet (Air Experience Flying) doesn't count for squat. It's about as much use as going for a ride in the car and the driver letting you change the gears.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love4All)
    Hello everyone, I have a question for you all. I am just wondering what you need to become a pilot in the big industry (flying Boeing 747's for a large scale airline). Some people tell me all you need is hours and experience on smaller scale planes and then work your way up. While other people tell me that these days you need an engineering or physics degree first in order to fly the big ones.
    I also need to know know how difficult is it to become a pilot and how long is the course for? Can somebody clear up these questions for me.

Thank you

I hope am posting this into the right forum.
    Hi,
    You don't really need a degree at all. I finished school with an "E" in maths, french, and the only above C I got was a C in science.

I completed my Private Pilots Licence in america as usually it's cheaper than the UK.
    For example it costs around £30,000 in the USA compared to the "special intergrated" courses such as Oxford Aviation Academny of £100,000

You can do Modular which is like driving lessons, you just build up the hours when you want and with whoever you want at your own pace and it's a heck of alot cheaper than Oxford.

You'd become a more Rounded person if you took your time and took it in.

You can definitly do it without a Degree but make sure you have a job to fall back on because the industry is a bit bad at the moment.

So I've finished my private which is around 40 hours of flying.

Then I need to just fly around for 190 hours building time up, that can be done at anytime too and at any school. But you will need to do the CPL or ATP exam, or ATPL in the UK.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The USA is a possibility for training however aren't the FAA changing rules about JAA instructing in the states? Not too sure at the moment.

Totally agree with Flyingaround. Even though I wanted to join FTE Jerez this year, I'm not sure if I will but i'm still not decided yet. These FTOs make shed loads of money from 18y/o kids who have secured loans under their parents house. Having a fall back is crucial as the aviation industry is volatile.

Also be careful of PPRuNe as there is a lot of negativity there..usually from trainees who've done their training and now are sitting on their backsides doing fook all and moaning how this industry ruined their life blah blah blah blah....
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brap4k22DivideBy2)
    The USA is a possibility for training however aren't the FAA changing rules about JAA instructing in the states? Not too sure at the moment.

Totally agree with Flyingaround. Even though I wanted to join FTE Jerez this year, I'm not sure if I will but i'm still not decided yet. These FTOs make shed loads of money from 18y/o kids who have secured loans under their parents house. Having a fall back is crucial as the aviation industry is volatile.

Also be careful of PPRuNe as there is a lot of negativity there..usually from trainees who've done their training and now are sitting on their backsides doing fook all and moaning how this industry ruined their life blah blah blah blah....
    That's true, pprune does depress me. so does the op not replying lol
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyingaround)
    That's true, pprune does depress me. so does the op not replying lol

lolll i was busy with exams.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love4All)
    [/B]

lolll i was busy with exams.
    LOL Don't worry, sometimes even job agencies do the same and i have to keep bugging them

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.