The Student Room Group

When you get your desired job what wage do you expect per week?

Scroll to see replies

Are people forgetting about tax? I saw someone say that they want between 16-19k a year and take home pay a week would be around £390 but actually after tax, 19k would mean £286 a week... I just accepted a job which pays 23k a year and that actually equals £330 a week so less than what they originally said for a job paying 19k!
Reply 41
Original post by Chiko 1001
I don't know where you heard this. It's not the case.

EWTD limits you to 48 hours a week averaged over (I think) 17 weeks. However, almost all juniors sign the opt out agreement which exempts them from the directive so it's had almost no effect in reality, in the competitive areas at least. You DO get paid more though. Your pay is banded- 10, 20, up to 50% bonuses for hours over a certain amount and for antisocial hours. In Edinburgh, where I know people working, almost all the juniors do such massive hours that they earn the top 50% bonus banding, but they work 10-14 hours a day every day...

Wow so in reality they'll be earning more than 30k pa, thays pretty cool for a grad.
Original post by Disenchanted
Are people forgetting about tax? I saw someone say that they want between 16-19k a year and take home pay a week would be around £390 but actually after tax, 19k would mean £286 a week... I just accepted a job which pays 23k a year and that actually equals £330 a week so less than what they originally said for a job paying 19k!

When when people say what wage do you expect they generally refer to the wage the employer offers (thats what all jobs will be advertised as anyway), net will depend on the tax regime and whether they have a student loan etc, also in terms of net disposable income it will depend on whether you have a pension plan and what the terms are. www.listentotaxman.com is the best quick rough and ready reckoner.

As a rule of thumb until you start earning really big money, an extra £1000 in salary equates to about an extra £600 in take home pay if you have a student loan to be repaid.
Original post by abdiz12
Wow so in reality they'll be earning more than 30k pa, thays pretty cool for a grad.

33k, yeah. Not that they have any time to spend it. Those in less manic posts will be on the base rate though. Depends what you fancy and how much stress you are attracted to.
Original post by Disenchanted

I presume most of the figures here are listed gross. But yeah, it can be annoying to see what the end figure is compared with the gross amount!
£25-35k will be really good
Reply 46
Original post by Oasis'
not bad, what job

EDIT and what does <3x mean?

Something in Advertising. But the bold is just my signature. :biggrin:

<3 x
Reply 47
I'm going to request I get paid in TSR subscriptions, so...yeah.

Also, a fair few people on this thread are going to have their rather unrealistic perceptions blown out of the water when they go into the real world.

Quick Reply