Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if you could would you send your child to a private school?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would you send your child to a private school?
    yes
    65.60%
    no
    25.34%
    undecided
    9.06%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    After experiencing both private and state educations, I can assure you that in state schools inverted snobbery is horrid. I dislike snobbery just as much but I find it very hypocritical when students from poorer backgrounds begrudge others simply due to the family they were born in.
    It's not just snobbery, inverted or otherwise, that children of all classes are guilty of. I experienced all kinds of ignorant prejudices at school, hopefully it's something people will grow out of with time and education.

I don't think the right response to inverse snobbery is to put your kids into a private school. The worst thing for middle class kids to do is crowd together in private schools and shut themselves off from the working class kids. That sort of separation causes both normal and reverse snobbery in the first place!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not if there was a perfectly adequate state school nearby.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    We've had a misunderstanding, I meant the students in the state school, not any state school rivalry that some TV shows portray! My point was that there are different backgrounds in state schools which can be beneficial but it can backfire.

By 'rough' I mean aggressive, mouthy, loud and so on.
    Ah right I see what you mean now.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    No as if they're good enough then they'll succeed.

(Hoping this will be the case for me, anyway)...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Grammer.
    If no grammer, private.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been to both private and state schools and to be honest, I prefer the state school. People in state schools are actually coming out with the same grades as people in private schools
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I definitely would. Not all privately schooled kids turn out to be "snobs". That's just a stereotype. I went to public schools (that's what we call non-private schools. I am not sure if this is right terminology here in the U.K. Do you guys call them state schools?) all the way until the first year of high school and then switched to a private school for the last few years of secondary schooling. I found the teachers at my last high school to be so much more dedicated to teaching and well - trained than the ones who taught me in public schools. I also witnessed less harrassment witin the student population and found the atmosphere in classrooms to be friendly and generally pleasant. Being part of the school "family" also helped with my personal development. I geniunely think I walked out more self assured and less timid that I was before.
    In saything that, not all private schools are the same. Neither are all public schools. If I can find a public school with great reputation and if my kid is smart enough to get in (probably not if she/he inherits mama's genes), I'll send him/her there. Afterall, all we want is the best for our [hypothetical] kiddies.
    Another thing: I also feel like I was more sheltered at a private school. I sat my exams in the IB, not with our local qualification. In retrospect, the local qualification seems to be more rigorous/competitive and would've probably prepared me better for uni.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless the schools in the area were crap, then no.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrhythmia)
    I definitely would. Not all privately schooled kids turn out to be "snobs". That's just a stereotype. I went to public schools (that's what we call non-private schools. I am not sure if this is right terminology here in the U.K. Do you guys call them state schools?) all the way until the first year of high school and then switched to a private school for the last few years of secondary schooling. I found the teachers at my last high school to be so much more dedicated to teaching and well - trained than the ones who taught me in public schools. I also witnessed less harrassment witin the student population and found the atmosphere in classrooms to be friendly and generally pleasant. Being part of the school "family" also helped with my personal development. I geniunely think I walked out more self assured and less timid that I was before.
    In saything that, not all private schools are the same. Neither are all public schools. If I can find a public school with great reputation and if my kid is smart enough to get in (probably not if she/he inherits mama's genes), I'll send him/her there. Afterall, all we want is the best for our [hypothetical] kiddies.
    Another thing: I also feel like I was more sheltered at a private school. I sat my exams in the IB, not with our local qualification. In retrospect, the local qualification seems to be more rigorous/competitive and would've probably prepared me better for uni.
    private schools are called both private public here in the UK state run schools are just called state schools
    where are you from, if you dont mind me asking ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well in general yes but it depends on the reputation of the schools where you live, as well as the personality of the child, i.e. the more of a risk-taker they are, the more preferable a cosseted education will be, and the more prissy they are, the more preferable a rough and ready education will be.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    private schools are called both private public here in the UK state run schools are just called state schools
    where are you from, if you dont mind me asking ?
    Ooo I recognise your flag. I am from the same place you are from. GO KIWIS.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooo I recognise your flag. I am from the same place you are from. GO KIWIS.
    ah excellent, its about time I ran into a fellow Kiwi on here, many Brits, Americans, Indians and Europeans but no New Zealanders North or South island ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    ah excellent, its about time I ran into a fellow Kiwi on here, many Brits, Americans, Indians and Europeans but no New Zealanders North or South island ?
    North Island You?
    I miss home so much!!! As much as I enjoy going to uni here, I can't wait until my degree finishes so I can pack my bags and run back home.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    North Island You?
    I miss home so much!!! As much as I enjoy going to uni here, I can't wait until my degree finishes so I can pack my bags and run back home.
    yar North Island town called Waipawa in the Hawkes Bay area
    aha touche :P i miss New Zealand havent been there in so long since the parents moved to Britain :/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.