Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if you could would you send your child to a private school?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would you send your child to a private school?
    yes
    65.60%
    no
    25.34%
    undecided
    9.06%

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    if yes then why if no why not?
    i mean me personally if i could i definitely would schools like Wellington, Haileybury, Marlborough, Rossal etc. are expenetially better than a bog standard comprehensive.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I lived in an area where the local state schools weren't great, I would definitely consider it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    if yes then why if no why not?
    i mean me personally if i could i definitely would schools like Wellington, Haileybury, Marlborough, Rossal etc. are expenetially better than a bog standard comprehensive.
    I could have and I didn't. I saw a lot of people in second rate private schools and also a lot of people in excellent state schools. I also see and read a lot of comments by privately educated people that make me believe that their experience may tend to narrow their minds and educational experience rather than expand it. I mean by this the very traditional and academically orientated approach may not encourage or even allow all aspects of a person to be explored. Obviously this is a sweeping statement and there are many lovely, open minded and broad thinking people from private school backgrounds. There is just a greater risk I think of coming out of a private school with a view of the world which tends to be judgemental of other parts of society, pompous and arrogant.

Having met various members of the Harrow set in my time nothing has made me change my mind about this over the years.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friends have had this conversation a couple of times.

YES -- for the opportunities it would give them in later life, and the education they would get, smaller class sizes etc

NO -- of course it's ridic to believe that everyone at a private school is a snob, but it's definitely true to say that you're gonna encounter more of them than your average comp kiddie... I want my future children to appreciate that they're privileged because mummy and daddy got lucky, not because they are inherently better than anyone else, and I think the comprehensive system allows one to appreciate this a bit more.

If you're a good parent, your child will come out well whatever school they go to
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes to keep them away from the riff raff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, without a doubt I would send him/her to one of the best on the Isles. The government cannot uphold a competent education system, so private is the way.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoswyn)
    I could have and I didn't. I saw a lot of people in second rate private schools and also a lot of people in excellent state schools. I also see and read a lot of comments by privately educated people that make me believe that their experience may tend to narrow their minds and educational experience rather than expand it. I mean by this the very traditional and academically orientated approach may not encourage or even allow all aspects of a person to be explored. Obviously this is a sweeping statement and there are many lovely, open minded and broad thinking people from private school backgrounds. There is just a greater risk I think of coming out of a private school with a view of the world which tends to be judgemental of other parts of society, pompous and arrogant.

Having met various members of the Harrow set in my time nothing has made me change my mind about this over the years.

i see exactly where youre coming from but for me who's experienced both a private school and a state school i must say i infinetly preffered the private experience ... mainyl for all the extra curriculars you get there which a state school wouldnt offer if god himself commanded them to plus i always found the social side a lot better, at least with my experience, people tended to form far closer friendships and retain them for far longer out of school.
    but i do see where youre coming from some people are blinded by it to the rest of the world and some private schools well ...you may aswell set fire to your money for the good its going to do compared to a decent state school
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Yes to keep them away from the riff raff.
    You. Are terrible.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do not at all imagine that I would have children, but if I did, I would certainly do my utmost to give them the very best education possible. I had a state education and felt very held back, especially in secondary school.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on a few things.

Yes - because it would give them opportunities and the benefit of better one to one help. Smaller class sizes too as well as better facilities.

No - I'm not from a rich background, and I would feel pressured to keep up with the lifestyle that private school demands. I would also worry about not fitting in with people who had a lot more money than me.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    No.
    Why?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope :no:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've spent about half of my school years in both state and private schools, and I would make my choice depending on how good the local state schools were. One of the state schools I went to was just as good as most private schools but others were truly awful and really held me back. It would be ridiculous not to give them the best education possible if I could afford it.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Nope :no:
    Why?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    i see exactly where youre coming from but for me who's experienced both a private school and a state school i must say i infinetly preffered the private experience ... mainyl for all the extra curriculars you get there which a state school wouldnt offer if god himself commanded them to plus i always found the social side a lot better, at least with my experience, people tended to form far closer friendships and retain them for far longer out of school.
    but i do see where youre coming from some people are blinded by it to the rest of the world and some private schools well ...you may aswell set fire to your money for the good its going to do compared to a decent state school
    Well you're obviously a person who is able to see things from many different sides and have gained a lot from your education. Its great to hear a defence of private schools that is reasoned and interesting.

• 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course, any self respecting parent would send their child to the best school possible and as such, if a grammar school was not available then i would send them to a private school (Eton preferably).

May even open a private school if i ever have the money in later life.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone who goes to a private school and who has lots of friends in (good) state schools (a few have also got into Oxbridge this year), I honestly believe it doesn't have much influence on your child's education.

Some seem to think that private school will automatically involve more emotional and academic support, but in reality (especially if your private school is selective) you will feel like just one of many other people who are intelligent/clever as opposed to a state school, where there could be more of a range of attitudes towards work. Regarding university applications, from what I've heard when speaking to others, there actually seems to be more of a big deal on Oxbridge applicants in state school (with more help and support) than at schools where it's considered more 'normal' to apply.

I really hate the stereotypes attached to private schools - that if we get good grades, it's because we've had a lot more support from teachers or that we have more opportunities. I think it could even be argued that going to a private school could distort perspectives of reality - too much focus could be given to academics, whilst students could become complacent and overconfident about their own abilities. Going to a good school isn't just about academic work - it's about immersing yourself in other interests and exploring who you are as a person. If your child is clever and you support them, they'll do well. That's why - if there were good schools in my area - I would gladly send my children to state school, confident that they would have the opportunity to work hard and succeed if they wanted to, whilst being in an environment that made them as happy and secure in themselves as possible.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One of my life goals to make sure my children, go to somewhere like Stowe or Eton.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wish my parents would have home schooled me and I would probably do the same. It's just too terrifying out there.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.