Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Can he turn this around?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My brothers doing is AS levels this year. He has just been predicted BCCD or BCDD I can't fully remember one result. He is set on studying medicine. In my opinion he wont be able to. Can anyone who has done A levels tell me if it's possible to turn this around? I studied Scottish Highers so I'm uncertain of the English system.

Thanks.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he works hard then yes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    With hard work, determination and belief then yes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by POWW!)
    If he works hard then yes.
    Hey thanks. Can you tell me would his A levels predictions that go on his UCAS form just be based on his AS level results from the end of this year? Thanks
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack1618)
    Hey thanks. Can you tell me would his A levels predictions that go on his UCAS form just be based on his AS level results from the end of this year? Thanks
    Yes they would. He wouldn't be considered for medicine without much better predictions than these or much higher achieved AS grades, peferably straight A's or above. He will be up against people with A*A*A*A* and the like. He will also have had to have done shadowing and volunteering and other work experience to support his medicine application. He may be better taking a gap year, getting this experience and applying with actual grades if he thinks his A2 end results will far exceed his predicted or achieved grades at the end of AS.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoswyn)
    Yes they would. He wouldn't be considered for medicine without much better predictions than these or much higher achieved AS grades, peferably straight A's or above. He will be up against people with A*A*A*A* and the like. He will also have had to have done shadowing and volunteering and other work experience to support his medicine application. He may be better taking a gap year, getting this experience and applying with actual grades if he thinks his end results will far exceed his predicted or achieved grades at the end of AS.

Ok thanks, makes sense! I don't think he has the motivation tbh. He has had to be motivated to get to this stage, private school etc. I just want to open his eyes. Thanks for the info!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack1618)
    Ok thanks, makes sense! I don't think he has the motivation tbh. He has had to be motivated to get to this stage, private school etc. I just want to open his eyes. Thanks for the info!
    I would say that he sounds typical of some research I was reading that says some males don't really get motivated until their early twenties. Females tend to be more focused and organised earlier on, hence girls doing better than boys at earlier stages of schooling. However when they do get going the males then tend to catch up rapidly in terms of focus and work ethic.

Maybe then he's just one of those type of people. I did wonder when I read the research though whether this affects what they end up doing ie. they don't get into medicine etc at 18.. Maybe he needs to work or something for a few years before university !!!!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, I achieved almost double my predicted grades at AS Level. With all due respect, they mean largely twiddly squat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabushkaMan)
    Absolutely, I achieved almost double my predicted grades at AS Level. With all due respect, they mean largely twiddly squat.
    Did you work a lot harder between receiving your predictions and your final AS exams? thanks for your input
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I worked a hell of a lot harder than I had ever done previously in main school, and also went up about 3 grades from GCSE. It can be done.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.