Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not clamping down on benefits is destroying the UK

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    For anyone that doesn't understand why we need to overhaul the welfare state:

http://fora.tv/2010/04/26/Mark_Steyn...ow#fullprogram

Steynamite.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Bingo.

However the Duke of Westminster etc do not approve so it will never happen, even though it'll take the country out the crapper in about one second.
    Yep, the Land Value Tax is the economic silver bullet. It'll make housing affordable, redistribute monopolised land and reduce our dependence on dodgy financial products devised by the City. But we'll never adopt it because there are just too many V.I's. At least when the proles were proper peasants they knew who was to blame for the plight: landowners. Nowadays we've allowed neoliberal economiststo bamboozle us into a state of apathy.

I fully intend on taking advantage of the next housing related land bubble. As far as our economy is concerned there's only one game in town.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Yep, the Land Value Tax is the economic silver bullet. It'll make housing affordable, redistribute currently monopolised land and reduce our dependence on dodgy financial products devised by the City. But we'll never adopt it because there are just too many V.I's. At least when the proles were proper peasants they knew who was to blame for the plight: landowners. Nowadays we've allowed nbeoliberal economics to bamboozle us into a state of apathy.

I fully intend on taking advantage of the next housing related land bubble. As far as our economy is concerned there's only one game in town.
    Haha! Too true.

Not just neoliberal economics, social engineering too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the Land Value Tax is the economic silver bullet. It'll make housing affordable, redistribute monopolised land and reduce our dependence on dodgy financial products devised by the City. But we'll never adopt it because there are just too many V.I's. At least when the proles were proper peasants they knew who was to blame for the plight: landowners. Nowadays we've allowed neoliberal economiststo bamboozle us into a state of apathy.

I know of a couple of people who bought desolate wasteland outside of Croydon for next to nothing because they knew, with Croydon's continued expansion (like all towns), it would one day become much more valuable.

So they sat on it for ten or fifteen years and now it's a massive car park and they're millionaires. The end.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to have the willingness to reply to threads and posts that were wrong on so many levels...

Then I took an arrow in the knee.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Haha! Too true.

Not just neoliberal economics, social engineering too.
    Landowners, business owners - same difference, same boot on the neck of the working class.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Landowners, business owners - same difference, same boot on the neck of the working class.
    Are you a marxist?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Are you a marxist?
    What do you mean by "Marxist"?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know, and our reliance on financial trading partly explains why we were hit so badly by the recession. Any country with an economy dependent on banking and finance (Iceland, Ireland, Britain, the U.S et al) is likely to find itself in a heap of trouble when the business cycle (in reality house price cycle) comes to an abrupt halt. A banking based economy isn't something to be proud of, in fact it's a bit of warning signal that things will go Pete Tong in the not to distant future.
    Well it's a little hard to do anything but financial services when we cant concentrate on manufacturing because we dont have raw materials and we have a national minimum wage. This automatically makes our goods uncompetitive. Oh, who brought in the national minimum wage?

If you're against the benefits culture as I am to be consistent you have to remove 'benefits' for the rich as well as the poor. I totally agree that we should teenage mums leeching off the state, but lets look into the other ways the government wastes our money too.
    What benefits do the rich receive from the Government??
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    So "we need to deter living on benefits".

If you ignore the hysteria you would realise that people don't actually want to spend their life on benefits. It is amazing how many people actually think that. The media do a great job of running at least 1 story per week of one family living in an expensive house claiming 30K+ for their 10 kids though.

I only read the first post so don't know if you actually came up with any suggestions rather than just ranting but the tone of the OP means I'm not really intrigued to look.
    Well for a start stop voting in left-wing Governments who get the country into £1 trillion of debt and then this money can be put to better use for providing training/education/jobs to those who dont have anything.

Which is what I said in my original post.....
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)

It would depend on their situation; but non-income based benefits like child benefit (for now) and disability living allowance. For those out of work, they may be entitled to contributions based JSA or employment support allowance. And then there's the non-monetary benefits, such as free prescriptions, etc.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Why is it any solution from a leftie has to involve "tax"?

Seriously- it's not even funny anymore......

Do you know why lefties have to keep suggesting "tax"? Because tax is a way of preventing nature from running it's course. It's like a handicap in golf, someone is too good a player so you have to try and handicap them. A rich person is successful therefore tax the hell out of them to give to the single mum.....

It doesnt really do much good for a country....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "Marxist"?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxism
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It would depend on their situation; but non-income based benefits like child benefit (for now) and disability living allowance. For those out of work, they may be entitled to contributions based JSA or employment support allowance.
    I doubt the rich people either claim them actively or care if they were taken away.....

In other words, I doubt they get on the phone to the benefits office and ensure they receive these benefits once they resign from their £100k job.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

All the infrastructure that enabled them to become rich, for a start.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking you what you mean. I'm aware of what wikipedia says. Are you asking me if I'm a Marxist-Leninist or if I think Marx's analysis of capitalism was essentially correct? Or something else?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here's another IWCA article, see what you make of this one
    http://www.iwca.info/?p=10145
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well for a start stop voting in left-wing Governments who get the country into £1 trillion of debt and then this money can be put to better use for providing training/education/jobs to those who dont have anything.

Which is what I said in my original post.....
    I remember some labour vitriol actually. The ranting and waffling probably took away from what you were trying to say.

You know as well as I do that power in this country will always fluctuate between labour and the tories so that isn't going to happen. What party is governing shouldn't really matter in terms of addressing the problems which have lead to too many people having no choice but to rely on welfare.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking you what you mean. I'm aware of what wikipedia says. Are you asking me if I'm a Marxist-Leninist or if I think Marx's analysis of capitalism was essentially correct? Or something else?
    Marxist-Leninist.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here's another IWCA article, see what you make of this one
    http://www.iwca.info/?p=10145
    Good stuff. Don't totally agree though. The "white working class" isn't politically important and their population is declining rapidly. That's why labour isn't interested.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.