The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Beebumble
I thought you wanted to do journalism?:s-smilie:
A level 2 course is lower than an access course it's the same standard as GCSE. Access will get you on to a degree.

I do, I would like to or if not that then social care or something similar. When you see Access will get me onto a degree, can I only have a degree if I go to Uni or can I gain a degree through college? For example that Access course you found for me, if I sit that and complete it successfully and finish the course after 1 year (its only 1 year long) but don't decide to go to Uni or continue at college, would I still be able to get a job through the course I studied and completed?
Original post by Quiet:)
you have to do an access course but you still will have to resit your Gcses because it is apart of the course. you might have to do like a foundation diploma but you need English and maths as well as pass three other subjects because the minimum requirement is 5 Gcses A to C. good luck but I'm sorry to says this but you need to get Gcse and A levels to get into university.

If you do a diploma that is equivalent to A levels they will you do functional skills level 2 and that is equivalent to GCSE and a lot of universities accept this.

People on here said I could do an Access course but alongside that sit my G.C.S.E. whilst on the Access course?

Can I or do I need to enroll separately to resit G.C.S.E. 's , also say I was to resit my maths and English and science would I have to enroll on 3 courses or can I resit English, Maths and Science in one course instead of 3? this may have already been answered previously by another member, sorry if it has, haha
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oasis'
I do, I would like to or if not that then social care or something similar. When you see Access will get me onto a degree, can I only have a degree if I go to Uni or can I gain a degree through college? For example that Access course you found for me, if I sit that and complete it successfully and finish the course after 1 year (its only 1 year long) but don't decide to go to Uni or continue at college, would I still be able to get a job through the course I studied and completed?

People on here said I could do an Access course but alongside that sit my G.C.S.E. whilst on the Access course?

Can I or do I need to enroll separately to resit G.C.S.E. 's , also say I was to resit my maths and English and science would I have to enroll on 3 courses or can I resit English, Maths and Science in one course instead of 3? this may have already been answered previously by another member, sorry if it has, haha

Um you can enrol to resit Math, English and science again. However you would have to enrol to an adult college. some colleges might ask you to pay if your over the age of 20 I think. it really depends on what you want to do. for example: if you wanted to resit your Gcse and do a diploma then you can do both. What are you planning to do? just retake your GCSEs or you want to do a level three course that is equivalent to A levels.
a lot of universities ask for at least a C in math & english gcse's even if you have amazing a-level results
Reply 83
Um you can enrol to resit Math, English and science again. However you would have to enrol to an adult college. some colleges might ask you to pay if your over the age of 20 I think. it really depends on what you want to do. for example: if you wanted to resit your Gcse and do a diploma then you can do both. What are you planning to do? just retake your GCSEs or you want to do a level three course that is equivalent to A levels.

I'm planning to enroll at West Lancs college, they do adult courses there. I think its free for 18-24 yr old's. I want to resit Maths, English and perhaps Science, would that mean having to enroll on 3 separate courses?

If so I'd have to make sure the times of the courses do not overlap one another
most colleges/6th forms ask for 5 C grades, so its not impossible to get into uni with those grades, but very hard to get onto the next stepping stone before uni. So yeah, with less that 4 C grades you'll not get the opportunity to qualify for uni.
Original post by Oasis'
I'm planning to enroll at West Lancs college, they do adult courses there. I think its free for 18-24 yr old's. I want to resit Maths, English and perhaps Science, would that mean having to enroll on 3 separate courses?

If so I'd have to make sure the times of the courses do not overlap one another

I am sure you can do that. you just need to ring up the college and ask them about it. I was retaking my English once and I was doing my diploma and I did my English lesson every Saturday and I chose to do it on that day. you college might offer classes that could be on Saturday. I am not sure because no all college are the same. I don't think it will overlap but it might mean that your timetable will be full up and might have to come in every day.

I would call them up. i'm sure the admission team will try their best to make your timetable manageable.
Reply 86
I am sure you can do that. you just need to ring up the college and ask them about it. I was retaking my English once and I was doing my diploma and I did my English lesson every Saturday and I chose to do it on that day. you college might offer classes that could be on Saturday. I am not sure because no all college are the same. I don't think it will overlap but it might mean that your timetable will be full up and might have to come in every day.

I would call them up. i'm sure the admission team will try their best to make your timetable manageable.

I think once they reopen after Easter I'll call them up to ask, I just have so many questions to ask and am to impatient to wait for them to reopen!
Original post by Oasis'
I think once they reopen after Easter I'll call them up to ask, I just have so many questions to ask and am to impatient to wait for them to reopen!

OK I wish you the best of luck. I don't know if this would be useful for you but do you know anyone in your situation that has been to the college. you could ask someone that has been to the college and how their system works. you could look at their website, they might have something there.
Did the whole college process go ok for you? :smile:
Reply 89
I pissed around at school instead of doing my work and left with a C in Music and the rest ranged from D's-F's. I then spent 4 years at Sixth Form sorting out my grades and am now at Uni. So yes it can be done but you have to work hard to get there.
Reply 90
what about people with manly Bs in their GCSEs, what kind of job sectors can they look into.......
Original post by Oasis'
is King's a university?

Yes, King's College, London
Reply 92
I think if you do really well in your a levels, it could potentially make up for your gcse grades.
You can go to uni but it would probably be a case of going to college or doing a HND/HNC/Foundation degree before actually getting a place on a Honours degree course. I know of people who haven't done particularly well at GCSE but have gone on to uni, because their A Level grades were fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending