The Student Room Group

Year 11's - How many hours of revision are doing a day?

Scroll to see replies

None at all, for now anyway. Just live life for now and cram at the end.
Reply 41
Original post by HistoryNerdx
Yesterday I got just under 3hrs done. I was meant to do more but nothing was going in my head and i kept procratinating. Today i'm aiming for 4 but i'm not sure how it'll work out.

Is anyone revising for english lit&lang and how are you doing it?

For lit - read both books again.
Language, I asked my teacher for past papers, I did them and handed them in.

How can one revise for history? (Obviously apart from learning the info) how can we make sure we have the right technique?
3-4 hours, but I'm in Scotland where the maximum grade is a 1 (approximately the same as a GCSE A) and since I can already get that in everything (except English writing :angry:) there isn't that much pressure. I've set a personal target of 90%+ in everything to match all of you A*-ers, but it doesn't really make much difference.

But how anyone can do full days of effective revision when Minecraft exists is beyond me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lohoj
For lit - read both books again.
Language, I asked my teacher for past papers, I did them and handed them in.

How can one revise for history? (Obviously apart from learning the info) how can we make sure we have the right technique?

To revise for History, apart from learning the info, you should also do past papers and lean the structure you need to use for answering the essay style question(the 12 mark ones). Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by lohoj
Wow! You got 10A*s aswell?!

That's incredible!

How come you took soo many subjects?

Thank you! :colondollar:

I got 4 full course options and one half course option at GCSE, as well as compulsory subjects which were: English Lit & Lang, Maths, Statistics (because I was in top maths set), Double Science, RS short course and PE short course. For my short course option I opted to do full course RS, which really only added on a half course due to having compulsory lessons in my timetable already. It was also compulsory for me to take Science in Society AS in Y11. My full course choices were Triple Science, Geography, German and ICT. I have seen people do 14+ GCSEs though, which I always thought must have been pretty crazy :s-smilie:
I never did a single minute of revision and got 8 A's and 5 B's. In hindsight perhaps I should have done some revision, but once you have A level's nobody gives a **** about your GCSE's.
I got 8A* and 2A's with about a combined total of 30 hours from the Easter holidays to the end of my exams. Some exams I didn't bother revising for (i.e. Drama, ICT). I made this 6 hour revision per day schedule that is still hanging on the board in my room 2 years later.
Just learn mark schemes people, more than half the stuff you learn you will get told was complete lies when you get to A Level.

I agree with the post above too, no-one will look at your GCSE's once you've done your A Levels. My unis cared a lot more about the low B i got at A Level chemistry then the A* (100 UMS each time) that I got at GCSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Why is everyone revising for like 8 hours. Seriously you don't need to revise that much I hardly do anything. You don't really need to revise for so long. A couple hours a day is ok, but I'm doing like 1 hour a day, barely that, I want A/B's. My friends who want A*s don't revise that much either, depends if you really have to work hard for the grade or if it's your natural itelligence.
Reply 48
Original post by lukeface
I've got 15 exams in the summer and am aiming for mainly a*s. All this posting of like 3 hours a day is scaring me! I wasn't even aware people were revising during easter! :s-smilie:

I think it depends on the person, personally I like revision :eek: and prefer to get started early but I know people who are only making sure their notes are up to date in Easter then revising hard in study leave. :smile: It also depends on the subjects (I am doing aqa rs luke's gospel with 48 Bible passages to learn!!) and how good your memory is. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by ILM
Well since I'm self-teaching Maths/Psychology, atleast 5. I've got a reasonable amount of the Psychology syllabus to cover; the exams on 14th May. :frown:

My first exam is also on May 14th!
Reply 50
Original post by lohoj
I have 16 exams... aiming for A* I'm as many I can get.

I think I'm gonna start waking up at 9-10am, then revise till 9pm with a few breaks.

Is this actually working for you? And how do you manage it?
Reply 51
Original post by Tommo96
None at the moment. Could anyone give me advice on how much I should be revising? I have 19 exams in May/June but I am only aiming for C grades at minimum.

It depends on the exams you have... And the type of person you are... It's hard for me to say how much you should be revising.
Reply 52
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
About 4 hours

Is this working for you? And how do you manage it?
Reply 53
Original post by YaaahSarah
6-7 hours all A* (aiming for)

Reply 54
Original post by Me123456789
8 hours and 40 mins and then 2 hours for any coursework...

Reply 55
Original post by tomp33
Probably like 4-5. Im in year 10 though but I have about 8 exams this summer, one of which is an as level.
Im not worried, there is plenty of time, majority of my exams are in mid-late June.

Reply 56
Original post by muf_mur
i am taking 9 subjects and i figured if i wanted to finish all GCE and IGCSE past papers, i would have to study for 12 hours a day until o-levels!! I still dont know how i am gonna be able to concentrate for 12 hours a day or where i will get those 12 hours....

Reply 57
Original post by Magenta96
4 hours a day

Reply 58
Original post by books28
I am aiming for all A*s and am doing 11 subjects with 24 exams this summer!
I am planning to do 6 hours of revision a day at Easter to make sure I know the syllabi then start on past papers (which are not included in the 6 hours!)
In study leave I will up that to about 8 hours (including past papers).

Reply 59
Original post by >Username<
So it's currently the Easter holidays... I was just wondering how many hours of revision people are going to be doing over the holidays and in general...

Not enough :frown:

I'm starting tomorrow, and I'll be doing 2 hours a day. So far I've just been doing odd bits when I have nothing to do, and I need to start doing more, which I will :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending