The Student Room Group

Year 11's - How many hours of revision are doing a day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by tomp33
Probably like 4-5. Im in year 10 though but I have about 8 exams this summer, one of which is an as level.
Im not worried, there is plenty of time, majority of my exams are in mid-late June.

Why did I get negged...
I have a fair whack of exams, some of which are as, I can comment,
Reply 121
My brother is barely doing an hour...
Reply 122
Original post by lohoj
Hey man, 86% is good :biggrin: its still an A* :tongue:

I found that mock to be easy, others I found harder, and my average score is around 85%. I need to still carry on practising to push it up to the safe 90s% consistently.

Right now, I'm doing 1-2 papers a day.

What's FSMQ? Never heard of it, sorry :tongue:

I am also doing IGCSE History & Spanish. Everything else I'm doing is AQA.

I'm seriously struggling with Spanish GCSE.

Do you do language iGCSE? Any tips?

Hi. I'm doing AQA French... I don't know if you can relate to this or not. But for the speaking and writing exams, just memorise it all. (If your doing AQA, you'll know what I mean). I got A*A*AA... And that is exactly what I did. It was hard work, and I honestly mean that. I never even get As let lone A*s, but I memorised it and went over it and over it... If you want a B overall. Do well in your speaking and writing exams, and in your reading and listening exams you can practically fail them and still get a B. If you do really well in your writing and speaking you can get an A and do the foundation paper.

I hope this helped. :smile:
I'm doing IGCSEs, which are coming up in two weeks :eek: To make things worse, I'm barely studying a hour a day... we still have assignments and homework to do! Co-ordinated science and business studies are killers when it comes to exams.
Reply 124
I'm in yr 12, but in yr 11 I didn't do many hours of revision a day and I got 9 A*s. Maybe 4 at most, but usually 2 or so. For me, the key was to do past papers--do as many as you can, I did all the ones in existence for English which is the one subject I did work really hard for--I was panicking because I got an E in one of my mocks.

For language students, just go above and beyond the criteria; I spent every Sunday afternoon for a few months going over grammar lessons on the about.com section for my language (French) and ended up doing the exams early--I did an AQA GCSE and they do not expect that much of you! If you can even begin to get your head around complicated language, the exam at GCSE will seem like a piece of cake. Speaking and writing are harder but you can memorize the speaking and get away with it, so have someone look whatever you plan to say over and you'll be fine.

And at the end of the day--don't panic. GCSEs don't determine nearly as much as other exams you'll take in the long run. Practice papers are key and don't stress--a good attitude goes a long way, especially in writing exams, to make your work sound confident and assured which appeals to examiners.

OCR 21st century science takers, the CGP revision guides are honestly completely enough. I wrote notes from that like one night before each exam and was fine, and the grade boundaries are such a blessing with that board. They'll go down.

My other advice is if you have any course-works which have been marked but not sent off yet, make sure you get a second opinion, or third. I had nasty surprises with almost all my coursework going down in moderation, loosing me an A* in one of my subjects I thought was for definite based on my teacher's marking. Of course it's a bit hard to tell your teacher 'I don't trust you' but encourage them to be really harsh or something.

Also make sure you structure revision efficiently! GCSEs tend to be spread out over a long time so if you have a week before your final exam, don't revise for it before that week. I also stopped going into school, which they let me do after getting permission from my parents, so if you desperately need extra time and don't feel you're covering a lot in class, go for that. If your school gives you revision packs, use them, they're usually enough for most GCSE papers, particularly essay-based subjects like R.E.
I'm afraid to say, so far, none
I have my GCSEs from May- June and I'm starting to revise from January - April, but when I broke up for the Christmas holidays I had maths homework but the teacher said give a pound to CAFOD but I went on show my homework that is a online thing and I went on it when I broke up and there was nothing to attach from like a sheet and it said print off sheet but no sheet on there. So I'm getting stressed because I don't know what to do and my target is a 5 and I'm getting targets like 2 and 1's but when it comes to exams I panic and I'll forget about it and I'm starting revision classes for history and science but on the same day afterschool but history the time flies and it is quicker but science its slower. I have only been to one maths revision because that it starts at five past one and that is when lunch starts so I have my lunch and its 15 minutes to one when I check my watch and it is 20 past 1 when I get out and it finishes at half past 1 but the first time I went it went over and it was quarter to 2 (1:45) and the bell goes for last lesson is 1:55. So how much revision should I do cause I've got English, history, maths and combined science I.C.T and R.E. I am 15 years old and that is my reply
(edited 6 years ago)
You have no job
Original post by >Username<
So it's currently the Easter holidays... I was just wondering how many hours of revision people are going to be doing over the holidays and in general...

I try to do at least 23 hour every dayz
Original post by Magenta96
4 hours a day

Old Thread but you need minimum 6 hours if you want to succeed with 30 minute breaks every hour.

Quick Reply

Latest