The Student Room Group

I think Jessie J has a better singing voice than Adele.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Profesh
Back to Fiona Apple/Regina Spektor/Aimee Mann, I guess.

I've never come across anyone else who had even heard of them. :redface:
Reply 61
The fact that Jessi J is now seen as a credible artist and in a position to guide others 2 years into her career shows how far British music has fallen since the 90's.

Then again, Universal make **** loads from her and this show so it's not like she could give a ****.
Original post by y.yousef
No.
Because in Jessie J's emotional songs, it is not as heart felt as Adele's.

Congratulations on completely missing my point. You said that Adele is better than Jessie because she is more emotive in her songs. However, Jessie is more technically capable and can do many more things with her voice. If a person values emotiveness over technical ability then they will say that Adele is better, but if a person values technical ability over emotiveness they will say that Jessie is better.
Original post by madders94
FINALLY! Everyone said that Misha outsang Jessie J completely in that and I couldn't disagree more with them, Misha made it sound awful and Jessie J is so much better at it. She does have insane vocal talent and I couldn't believe people actually thought Misha was better, when Misha's performances throughout were quite frankly underwhelming.

Yeah, 'Who You Are' is a song that really requires strong technical ability. Misha can hit notes, but only within a narrow range of octaves. Her note transitions are so amateurish that I'm shocked she even made it to the final 12, and her vocal range is shockingly narrow too. I wouldn't have even put her through to the judge's houses to be frank.
Original post by Retrodiction
Congratulations on completely missing my point. You said that Adele is better than Jessie because she is more emotive in her songs. However, Jessie is more technically capable and can do many more things with her voice. If a person values emotiveness over technical ability then they will say that Adele is better, but if a person values technical ability over emotiveness they will say that Jessie is better.

Congratulations on stating the obvious.
People who like the colour blue, will prefer blue.
People who like the colour pink, will prefer pink.
You must have really used your brain there, to figure this one out. Well done.
Reply 65
Adele for me. There's just something about Jessie J that I really don't like.
Congratulations on stating the obvious.
People who like the colour blue, will prefer blue.
People who like the colour pink, will prefer pink.
You must have really used your brain there, to figure this one out. Well done.

So how can you objectively state that adele is better because she has more capacity for emotive expression? This is a thread on singing ability, and emotive expression is distinct from singing ability, which is a purely technical quality. Come on, do try to think about these things before making your ignorance public.
So how can you objectively state that adele is better because she has more capacity for emotive expression? This is a thread on singing ability, and emotive expression is distinct from singing ability, which is a purely technical quality. Come on, do try to think about these things before making your ignorance public.

Most people would argue the sole purpose of singing, is the ability to adopt an emotive expression, in which people can relate to, even if this is a more up-tempto music. Every utterance should be said with meaning, and not because they were paid for it.

You have anger issues, darling.
Most people would argue the sole purpose of singing, is the ability to adopt an emotive expression, in which people can relate to, even if this is a more up-tempto music. Every utterance should be said with meaning, and not because they were paid for it.

You have anger issues, darling.

What's your evidence that most people would argue this? I'm not aware of any worldwide poll conducted that demonstrated this claim. And emotiveness isn't measurable either. I could just as easily assert that Jessie J has more emotive capacity than Adele, in exactly the same way that you made the baseless assertion in Adele's favour. Technical ability, such as melismas, runs, licks, and vocal range are objectively measurable, and as such carry far more weight in this discussion.

Also, internet psychoanalysis never works, and as such you have literally zero evidence that my comment about ignorance wasn't simply a manifestation of my usual writing style. Try again, dear. Go on, I'll give you another crack at it.
What's your evidence that most people would argue this? I'm not aware of any worldwide poll conducted that demonstrated this claim. And emotiveness isn't measurable either. I could just as easily assert that Jessie J has more emotive capacity than Adele, in exactly the same way that you made the baseless assertion in Adele's favour. Technical ability, such as melismas, runs, licks, and vocal range are objectively measurable, and as such carry far more weight in this discussion.

Also, internet psychoanalysis never works, and as such you have literally zero evidence that my comment about ignorance wasn't simply a manifestation of my usual writing style. Try again, dear. Go on, I'll give you another crack at it.

The same evidence you have against this.
LOL at your anger, it's rather hilarious. :rolleyes:

If you look at how singing came about, in the emytollogical perspective, you will find singing was a product of one expressing their emotions by stringing some words that were meaningful to that individual, and then singing it in a tuneful way.

So that is my evidence. Whats yours babe.
Yeah, 'Who You Are' is a song that really requires strong technical ability. Misha can hit notes, but only within a narrow range of octaves. Her note transitions are so amateurish that I'm shocked she even made it to the final 12, and her vocal range is shockingly narrow too. I wouldn't have even put her through to the judge's houses to be frank.

Nonsense

Both Beyonce and Lady Gaga when asked who was the best in the competition said Misha but she is to black for the UK public Tulisa and Louis ruined her. Not to mention she recieved praise from the judges every single week and from people in the music industry.

Jessie J has a good voice but she has a habit of screaching her way through the song it was out of tune and all over the place at times and over singing it Misha B's sang the song in an upper key that Jessie J couldn't even manage Jessie J said that herself she put so much more emotion and melody into the song. Adele singing live sounds exactly like it does in a recording studio always in tune and not screaching that shows she is a far better singer than Jessie J.
Reply 71
Sorry, people are going to hate me for this, but I really really hate Jessie J. Her performances are just so cringy, her songs are extremely annoying but it is mostly her facial expressions and body movements that make me feel sick. Everyone I've ever met loves her and I just don't see it.

As for Adele, I think I might be the only one, yet again, to find her boring. Her voice sounds average to me and the songs aren't that catchy. Well, she's no Beyonce.
I prefer Jessie J. Adele seems to do the same sort of songs allll the time whereas Jessie J shows off her vocal range.
Reply 73
I liked Jessie J's songs before as well, but after watching her on The Voice, I seem to like her music more!
It seems like she knows what she's on about, unlike a few of the judges on The X Factor.

But I prefer Adele to Jessie J anyday! :smile:
Original post by Shabalala
Nonsense

Both Beyonce and Lady Gaga when asked who was the best in the competition said Misha but she is to black for the UK public Tulisa and Louis ruined her. Not to mention she recieved praise from the judges every single week and from people in the music industry.

Jessie J has a good voice but she has a habit of screaching her way through the song it was out of tune and all over the place at times and over singing it Misha B's sang the song in an upper key that Jessie J couldn't even manage Jessie J said that herself she put so much more emotion and melody into the song. Adele singing live sounds exactly like it does in a recording studio always in tune and not screaching that shows she is a far better singer than Jessie J.

Upper key that Jessie couldn't manage? Please send me a comparative clip where Misha sings it in a higher key than Jessie. Jessie always sings it in a high key, whilst Misha was singing it in her usual dreary low key. Misha isn't capable of singing in a high key. Show me a clip of Misha belting an A5, or even an F5, or of Misha executing a lick, run or melisma of the technical quality of Jessie's, and you'll have a ghost of a point.

And since when has sounding exactly the same as the CD version live been a positive quality? I might as well listen to the CD if I'm only going to get an identical version live. Jessie adds little technical quirks to each performance, and often varies the key she sings the song in entirely. Adaptability is more a display of vocal talent than repeating the same performances in exactly the same ways.
(edited 11 years ago)
The same evidence you have against this.
LOL at your anger, it's rather hilarious. :rolleyes:

If you look at how singing came about, in the emytollogical perspective, you will find singing was a product of one expressing their emotions by stringing some words that were meaningful to that individual, and then singing it in a tuneful way.

So that is my evidence. Whats yours babe.

So? So you're arguing that the intended function of a behaviour at the precise point of its origin dictates how the behaviour is to be used and judged forever onward? And you still haven't answered my point about the measurability. You say Adele expresses more emotion, I say Jessie does. There is absolutely no way of resolving this. At least the technical quality of licks, runs, melismas and the vocal range of an artist's chest voice & head voice are objectively measurable indicators of vocal ability.
The original video I posted of them both singing Who You Are Misha B was a higher key than Jessie J

[video="youtube;Iuf8CJolqxY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuf8CJolqxY[/video]

Jessie J said it herself skip to 2.07 in the video

Screaching and shouting in your preformance isn't good to be able to hold the tone as you do in a studio is far better stop making stuff up about technical quirks yes Adele sings the same sort of songs all the time some would even say boring but to say she doesn't have a fantastic voice or that Jessie J is better than her is nonsense.
Original post by Shabalala
The original video I posted of them both singing Who You Are Misha B was a higher key than Jessie J

[video="youtube;Iuf8CJolqxY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuf8CJolqxY[/video]

Jessie J said it herself skip to 2.07 in the video

Screaching and shouting in your preformance isn't good to be able to hold the tone as you do in a studio is far better stop making stuff up about technical quirks yes Adele sings the same sort of songs all the time some would even say boring but to say she doesn't have a fantastic voice or that Jessie J is better than her is nonsense.

Punctuation, please. Reading your responses is like reading a 6 year old write a story.

Jessie can definitely sing higher than Misha did in that performance; I've already told you to post a video of Misha belting an A5 if you want to demonstrate that she is up to Jessie's standard.

Anyway. Making up stuff about technical quirks? I suggest you leave TSR for a little while and do some reading on vocal theory. Melismas, runs, licks and tone alterations are objectively measurable, and for you to simply dismiss demonstrates very clearly that you don't know what you're talking about. The fact remains that Adele sings her songs in largely the same fashion each time, whilst Jessie alters and adapts her performances to suit the audience, the occasion and to distinguish them from her other recent performances of the same song.
So? So you're arguing that the intended function of a behaviour at the precise point of its origin dictates how the behaviour is to be used and judged forever onward? And you still haven't answered my point about the measurability. You say Adele expresses more emotion, I say Jessie does. There is absolutely no way of resolving this. At least the technical quality of licks, runs, melismas and the vocal range of an artist's chest voice & head voice are objectively measurable indicators of vocal ability.

Woah, grammar overload.

The measure of emotive expression should be determinued, by ones story, and the way they connect themselves with this, through their naturall use of falsetto's and mono-tones. etc.

But when you say measured, it's not that easy. As it is not a quantitive data.
More of a qualitative, where it is down to subjectiveness, and personal opinion.
Even though your personal opinion, is stupid. :smile:
Woah, grammar overload.

The measure of emotive expression should be determinued, by ones story, and the way they connect themselves with this, through their naturall use of falsetto's and mono-tones. etc.

But when you say measured, it's not that easy. As it is not a quantitive data.
More of a qualitative, where it is down to subjectiveness, and personal opinion.
Even though your personal opinion, is stupid. :smile:

Right, so emotive expressiveness isn't measurable, and it's down to personal opinion. Why are you here, then? Anything you say can be responded to with 'I disagree', and there's nothing you can say in defence. Technical ability, on the other hand, is objectively measurable, and is thus the only real way of judging vocal ability.

Quick Reply

Latest