The Student Room Group

How do you fund your nights out? Need to budget!

Anyone got any good tips to budget nights out? I go out about twice a week on average but end up spending 40+ each night!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dont take more cash than you want to spend. Leave your cards at home too.
That's great advice from daviesblue.... it's really that simple that you literally don't take any more cash than you can afford and definitely DONT TAKE YOUR CARDS!!!!
No shoes no shirt and see if you get service?

Seriously no cards, just the right amount of cash.
Reply 4
I hear you man! Starting uni in September, but I've been working the last 7 years. Some nights I could go and spend in excess of 100, most I did was 250 :frown:.

Need to get it down to about 20. Agree with them two above though!
See if you can get guest-list + free entry some places. That always helps. And pre drink before you go out.
try going out later and having a few can at home first..... also helps!!
Reply 7
We do have a few in the car. Spend about 8 quid on pre drinks but then I go mental and spend everything I have in the club!!

I think I will pre drink (£6), buy two drinks in the club (£6-8), entry fee (£5-8), kebab lol (£4) and hopefully that will be my limit of spending (so that's £26 at most). Or I can just go out less?...NAH! :biggrin:

Cheers for the advice though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MancBoy
We do have a few in the car. Spend about 8 quid on pre drinks but then I go mental and spend everything I have in the club!!

I think I will pre drink (£6), buy two drinks in the club (£6-8), entry fee (£5-8), kebab lol (£4) and hopefully that will be my limit of spending (so that's £26 at most). Or I can just go out less?...NAH! :biggrin:

unless your in london or having expensie cocktails it shouldnt cost £8 for two drinks in a club- most clubs on student nights do deals like £1 or £1.50 drinks, so two should cost £4 at most. Also again unless your a guy in London the entry fee shouldn't be as much as £5-8- it should be closer to £3-4, or less if you put your name on th guestlist. And snack when you get home, its cheaper.
All that seems awfully expensive. £8 for two drinks?! Wow.

My husband and I go out roughly once a month. We spend :

£20 babysitter
£30 petrol to and from hotel/home
£10 pre-club samosas and poppadums
£5 taxi fare there from hotel
£4 entry fees
£20-£25 drinks between us (4-5 double vodka and irn bru each - at a rate of £2.50 a drink)
£5 taxi back to hotel
£10 next day brunch

total : £104-£109 between the two of us.

plus we pre-book a hotel, which costs anywhere between £10-£25.50 depending on whether I've been able to get a sale room or not.

So, ignoring the costs that wouldn't apply to you (hotel, babysitting, petrol, pre-club meal, taxi), we spend £39 between us on entry fees, drinks, and food afterwards.
Divide that by two, and that makes £19.50 each.

So...why are you spending £40 on your own? That's insane! And you reckon that even if you cut down on your expenses, you're going to be spending £26 still?

I can't understand how it could be so expensive tbh.
Take a set amount of cash. I always give my taxi money to my friends (when I'm going out at home, there's no need for taxis in Loughborough) before we get into the club and then the rest of the money I have is mine to spend.
Reply 11
That's insane if you're still a student.
put a limit of 15pounds per night and you re fine
I always pre-drink before going out, for example a bottle of wine for around £5. £1 towards a taxi with mates on the way out. Two or three drinks out plus entry if it's a weekend would be about £10. I try to walk back because it saves money on a black cab on the way home which usually ends up about 6 pound if I'm on my own so just makes the night more expensive. Also avoid getting food, or id I do just get chips and not a kebab lol so it costs about £2 instead of £6! :smile:
Reply 14
Well we drink doubles. So that costs around £2-3 each for a double vodka lemonade. A beer costs around £2.50. So I usually have one of each so that makes it around £5.50 or £6 at most.

Entry fee is around 3-5 quid.

Kebab is a must. There's nothing better than having a kebab after a piss up but yeah I guess you're right I need to calm down on it. I am also weight training so I reckon these kebabs are a bad idea!

Pre drinks, me and my mate share an £8 Smirnoff. I usually accompany it with a £1.50 bottle of boost. So I guess that makes it around £5.50 or £6 at most if I buy chewing gum/breath mints.

So all in all I could end up spending £17 or under £20 at most. I shall try this on my next outing and see how I feel.

How are people funding their nights out? and how much are you spending?
I make the mistake everytime of taking out my cards :redface:

Though recently I've started withdrawing only a set amount, say £20. On event nights (you should be aiming for these) we get:
- Pre-drinks - £6-8
- Entry - £3-4 (look for the guys selling wristbands)
- Drinks inside - ~£10 (on events we can get vodka redbulls for £1 each)
- Loose change = Mcdonalds after

Overall, smashed night. Oh and be selfish, don't buy your friends drinks. They didn't bring the cash, their loss. Although you can spare one or two for a sweet girl (or boy if you're a girl who buys men drinks?) :wink:

The biggest expense I've ever had on a night out was £70. Can barely remember the night. Was a christmas thing, ended up at several different bars and clubs :O
(edited 12 years ago)
Start predrinking earlier then. It saves you money and its fun at the same time! We'll start an hour or two before we go out and its always the best part of the night. If you need to buy more than 1 drink once you've got in, you're doing something wrong.

The only place i really buy drinks is the student union because its so cheap (£1.80 for a pint) and we don't need to bother with cabs. If we're going into the city centre i'll usually spend between £15-20, cab there and back is £3 and entry fees are never more than a fiver, plus one drink and some drunk food afterwards. I've done nights out where i've bought nothing other than the cab + entrance fee, its easy if you drink enough beforehand. Just set yourself a limit.
Reply 17
Someone's clearly not seen the 2litre bottles of strongbow for sale! :tongue:
Original post by KCosmo
Someone's clearly not seen the 2litre bottles of strongbow for sale! :tongue:

Hey, some people have taste :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by MancBoy

Predrinks I would say spend about £4 for a 4pack of beer/lager

Club entry fee should NOT be more than £5 with student ID

3 drinks at £4 each - 12

cheese and chips/quickly microwavable food at home from poundland- 3 pounds

12£ max

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending