The Student Room Group

STEP and Oxford

How much reflection does STEP performance have on one's application for Oxford? For example, if you get good grades at STEP (at year 12), are you better off applying for Cambridge than Oxford?
Reply 1
Yes, do STEP for Cambridge. Oxford may make you sit their own exam. So decide which uni you like best and focus on them. However STEP is becoming more popular with Imperial, UCL, Oxford and other unis so it may be a good idea to sit STEP in year 12. If you can handle STEP it is a good idea to sit it. I think it will give you a huge advantage wherever you go.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.
Original post by hcam
I think it will give you a huge advantage wherever you go.
In the sense that it will help you later in the degree or admission-wise? :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Elysǐum
How much reflection does STEP performance have on one's application for Oxford? For example, if you get good grades at STEP (at year 12), are you better off applying for Cambridge than Oxford?

I did STEP I in yr 12, got an ok grade, mentioned on ucas, and applied to Ox this year. Was not asked about it at interviews.
Reply 4
I would only really sit it if you think you can get at least a 1 (or I suppose a 2 is ok). Of course it's not required for Oxford, but if you can get a good grade in step, you are likely to do well in the admissions test anyway, so it doesn't really matter what they think of it. It's good preparation.
Reply 5
4 reasons to do the STEP

1) If you get a good grade in Step it will make the MAT/ interviews much more accessible
2) Tutors will be impressed by distinctions in Step 2,3 and will hold a grade 1 in a fairly high regard
3) If you do badly I don't believe you have to report it on the UCAS form
4) Gives you a flavour of what Uni maths is all about

Can't go wrong taking it up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by moya
I would only really sit it if you think you can get at least a 1 (or I suppose a 2 is ok). Of course it's not required for Oxford, but if you can get a good grade in step, you are likely to do well in the admissions test anyway, so it doesn't really matter what they think of it. It's good preparation.

I would not recommend mentioning grade 2. I don't think it will add to your application. But will certainly help with interviews, admission tests, etc.
Original post by Blutooth
4 reasons to do the STEP

1) If you get a good grade in Step it will make the MAT/ interviews much more accessible
2) Tutors will be impressed by distinctions in Step 2,3 and will hold a grade 1 in a fairly high regard
3) If you do badly I don't believe you have to report it on the UCAS form
4) Gives you a flavour of what Uni maths is all about

Can't go wrong taking it up.

To be honest I think they'd be quite impressed by a 1 from someone in year 12 ... Bear in mind that STEP III is supposed to be further maths material, so depending on your current load of maths modules it may be better to take I and maybe II at this stage - they still have all the benefits mentioned above. Don't underestimate the prep needed for STEP too - even the best people in my year (at Cam, not school) definitely spent a couple of months getting used to the style.

I would also suggest you check whether or not you'd have to declare a poor grade on UCAS, it is a public exam so the answer is possibly yes.
A guy a few years back applied with 1,1 in I and II and didn't get in. Take from that what you like...
Reply 9
Original post by twig
I would not recommend mentioning grade 2. I don't think it will add to your application. But will certainly help with interviews, admission tests, etc.

Yup.

I will just emphasize that they probably won't care if you have sat step or not, but the preparation to do it is very good preparation for the admissions tests/interviews anyway, so you are more likely to get in.
Original post by ben-smith
A guy a few years back applied with 1,1 in I and II and didn't get in. Take from that what you like...

But did he get invited to interview? If not, chances are he messed up on the MAT I suppose.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
But did he get invited to interview? If not, chances are he messed up on the MAT I suppose.

think so. Can't be sure.
Reply 12
You're supposed to take it in year 12? o.o
Original post by AshleyB1
You're supposed to take it in year 12? o.o

Nono, don't worry, some people do to test themselves but most people don't until yr 13 :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by milienhaus
Nono, don't worry, some people do to test themselves but most people don't until yr 13 :smile:

Oh, I see. Phew! :colondollar:
Original post by twig

is it not compulsory to declare the grade on UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest