Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Any current or past phlebotomists around?

Announcements Posted on
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

So I'm currently in Year 13 and most likely going to be taking a gap year after receiving (essentially) 4 rejections for medicine.

I've been looking on the NHS Jobs website for the past couple of days, and thought that becoming a phlebotomist for a year would be suitable - it would give me some good clinical experience, while getting paid, and not getting bored after 3 weeks of holiday (which is what usually happens to me ) - given that I won't have any higher education qualifications.

So I've got just a few quick questions to ask you lovely people :
    • What are the hours like?
    • How long is the on-job training - i.e. is there any point in me doing the job of a phlebotomist for a year or so, if I'm (hopefully :rolleyes:) going to university in October?
    • Do you get a good exposure to people from a wide variety of backgrounds - possibly something I could write about in my Personal Statement for next year?
    • How much teamwork is involved - is talking to other phlebotomists / nurses / doctors / other health-care professionals frequent?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

EDIT: Will +rep
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one? :sad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry if the reply is a little late. I'm a second year dental student but got 4 rejections as well when I applied from school, so I got a job as a phlebotomist for a year during the week, successfully reapplied to uni and stopped doing phlebotomy , then at the start of second year got my job back but at weekends (with extras during the week whenever I want).

Hours - Always early start. Our shifts are 4 hours long, usually 7-11am.

Training - 2 weeks , so definitely worth it. And its always good to be skilled in as FY1s do a fair amount of bloods and venflons so it helps to be good at it. You could maybe transfer to weekends when you start uni, as there is a high turnover of phlebs for some reason?

Clinical experience - YES! you meet all kinds of people (not all friendly mind) - its all about your management of it. You have to be able to deal with absolutely every kind of person which I talked about in my dentistry interview which I think swung it because it was a pretty bad interview before i talked about phlebotomy.

Teamwork - Yep The staff are usually lovely and u can pick up a good bit of info. The FY1's are good to talk to esp about applying to uni like top tips, and any advice you need.

Its something a bit different and its good that you start and finish early. Its quite tiring if you get difficult wards/a lot of patients are horrible to you, but as long as you do your best and are professional and friendly all the time, it'll be fine If you need any help applying let me know

(Original post by thegodofgod)
    Hey all,

So I'm currently in Year 13 and most likely going to be taking a gap year after receiving (essentially) 4 rejections for medicine.

I've been looking on the NHS Jobs website for the past couple of days, and thought that becoming a phlebotomist for a year would be suitable - it would give me some good clinical experience, while getting paid, and not getting bored after 3 weeks of holiday (which is what usually happens to me ) - given that I won't have any higher education qualifications.

So I've got just a few quick questions to ask you lovely people :
    • What are the hours like?
    • How long is the on-job training - i.e. is there any point in me doing the job of a phlebotomist for a year or so, if I'm (hopefully :rolleyes:) going to university in October?
    • Do you get a good exposure to people from a wide variety of backgrounds - possibly something I could write about in my Personal Statement for next year?
    • How much teamwork is involved - is talking to other phlebotomists / nurses / doctors / other health-care professionals frequent?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

EDIT: Will +rep
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lesjordans)
    Hey, sorry if the reply is a little late. I'm a second year dental student but got 4 rejections as well when I applied from school, so I got a job as a phlebotomist for a year during the week, successfully reapplied to uni and stopped doing phlebotomy , then at the start of second year got my job back but at weekends (with extras during the week whenever I want).

Hours - Always early start. Our shifts are 4 hours long, usually 7-11am.

Training - 2 weeks , so definitely worth it. And its always good to be skilled in as FY1s do a fair amount of bloods and venflons so it helps to be good at it. You could maybe transfer to weekends when you start uni, as there is a high turnover of phlebs for some reason?

Clinical experience - YES! you meet all kinds of people (not all friendly mind) - its all about your management of it. You have to be able to deal with absolutely every kind of person which I talked about in my dentistry interview which I think swung it because it was a pretty bad interview before i talked about phlebotomy.

Teamwork - Yep The staff are usually lovely and u can pick up a good bit of info. The FY1's are good to talk to esp about applying to uni like top tips, and any advice you need.

Its something a bit different and its good that you start and finish early. Its quite tiring if you get difficult wards/a lot of patients are horrible to you, but as long as you do your best and are professional and friendly all the time, it'll be fine If you need any help applying let me know
    Cheers for the excellent reply!

I've been applying everywhere in London through the NHS Jobs website, but it seems that all of the jobs require either previous experience in phlebotomy (which I don't have) or a Level 2 or 3 NVQ in Health and Social Care (which I don't have either).

Therefore, I emailed (just yesterday, in fact) a phlebotomy team leader at a local hospital asking whether I could either be an apprentice or just get some sort of experience in the area, but haven't had a response yet (chances are I won't be allowed).

Thanks so much again!

+rep
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No probs, hope it helped. With the NVQ thing, I would just apply anyway. There is nothing we do that needs any kind of written qualification if that makes sense, some of the best phlebs ive worked with trained ages ago with doctors and we dont have certificates in venepuncture or anything, so I would just say although I dont have this qualification, I have X + Y A levels, + keen to learn blah blah. its more hands on anyway , all you do is take the blood then label it, and learn some specific requirements eg certain antibiotics need a time wrote on them, thats it honestly! People skills are way more important and if you can show that at an interview I reckon you'll be fine. Med students make up a good number of the weekend phlebs so that will help you as well if you say you're interested in doing it through uni. Hope it goes well for you and if u need any help with applying just ask
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ps one thing I would say, Dont pay to go on these phleb courses! The plastic arm is nothing like real life and It won't help your application as you can't compare it to working in the hospital. You're better just applying for a training post

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 9, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.