Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS Maths With Stats - i am failing :(

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I am in my first year doing AS Maths with Stats and i am seriously failing. I started to struggle in mid november and its being getting harder since. I sat my C1 exam in Jan and got a U - i did all the work i could to in hope pass it. Since then i have just given up, i paid for a resit and am now resitting C1 and doing C2 and S1 all in May. I need some advice about how to get through this. I am revising now but Did any of you go through this? will it effect me when i apply for uni?
    Thanks x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went through the same thing, don't worry! Some of us just take a little longer to get to grips with Maths, that's all. I was getting Us in C1 and M1, and managed to get a B for C1 in January and am averaging a B/C for M1. I did this through asking for help on questions in the Maths forums, getting myself some good, concise revision guides (I got the CGP ones), as well as doing questions in the textbook and doing plenty of past papers.

Most universities will only see your AS grade at the end of the year, so if you got a B and was getting Us beforehand, it doesn't matter at all, because they won't know.

Good luck in Maths and feel free to PM me if you need any help with anything.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have certainly taught people who gained U on C1 first time and then, eventually, achieve a reasonable grade overall

However, these would usually be students who had not worked particularly hard prior to their Jan exam

If you did work before the exam, as you say that you did then one of these may be the case

• Maths A Level is too hard for you
    • The work that you did was not effective
    • You thougt you did enough work but you will really need to pick up the pace
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to do but practise, unfortunately.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    USe livemaths effectively
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloo:))
    Hey guys

I am in my first year doing AS Maths with Stats and i am seriously failing. I started to struggle in mid november and its being getting harder since. I sat my C1 exam in Jan and got a U - i did all the work i could to in hope pass it. Since then i have just given up, i paid for a resit and am now resitting C1 and doing C2 and S1 all in May. I need some advice about how to get through this. I am revising now but Did any of you go through this? will it effect me when i apply for uni?
    Thanks x
    In my school we had to do C1, C2 and S1 all at the same time. It's really not as difficult as it sounds and I'm sure if you put in the effort you'll get the grades you want.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teachers, they're there to help you pass the course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which board you are sitting but I'm doing OCR and Cambridge Advanced Mathematics textbooks are great. They offer tons of questions and not just longwinded exam style Q's with lots of concepts mixed together, each chapter has questions of gradually progressing difficulty so you can get your fundamentals sorted before bringing it all together in the exam style questions at the end.

Also, past papers. If you're struggling I would advise that you aim to do all of the available past papers for your board, and as many as you can from other exam boards prior to the exam. Get help with the questions you can't do and just keep going.

I sat C1 in January and managed to score 101/105 UMS using the above technique and I am far from a natural when it comes to maths- I have to work very hard to grasp new concepts (as the majority of my posts about C2 will show). Don't be disheartened if you don't understand things straight away just keep practicing as the more you do the better your result will be.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 1, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.