The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

strange decision by LSE

right, two of my friends from school applied for maths and economics at LSE. both had your standard gcse's (few A*s rest As maybe the odd B or C). one got AAAB for A/S and been predicted AAA (econ,maths,geog) and has been rejected. other got BBCD for A/S (and is obviously doing retakes) got predicted AAB (somehow)(econ,maths,sociology) and has been placed on the internal shortlist.
what the hell do you think the reasoning is behind that?! strange.
Reply 1
maybe one had a brilliant PS
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Crap personal statement can get you thrown in the bin at the first hurdle.

Also.. maybe the application was too late?
Were your friends both 'home' students by any chance?
Reply 4
Aye, The 2nd person probably had a much better personal statement. The personal statement is the most important thing other than being predicted to get the entry requirements or higher.
Reply 5
And it's only the internal shortlist.
Reply 6
lilsunflower

yes
lilsunflower

What proof do you have for the insinuation you're making? Foreign students at LSE have produced dozens of world leaders over the years: they compete to get in, and they are very highly qualified: if you want to see foreign students get an easy ride go to Durham or Notts...
Reply 8
W.A.S Hewins
What proof do you have for the insinuation you're making? Foreign students at LSE have produced dozens of world leaders over the years: they compete to get in, and they are very highly qualified: if you want to see foreign students get an easy ride go to Durham or Notts...

lol...I've had faculty staff tell me it's easier for foreign students.
W.A.S Hewins

Maybe coz' I'm a foreign student too?

Lolz.. I'm not saying that foreign students aren't capable of being 'world leaders', it's just that they tend to get in with slightly lower offers or slightly lower grades. For example, ALL my friends at school who applied to LSE Law (highest grades being AABB) were accepted while I read about all these UK people with far better grades getting rejected.

Plus, it goes across all unis except oxbridge, that foreign students are not required to come for interview.
Reply 10
lilsunflower
Maybe coz' I'm a foreign student too?

Lolz.. I'm not saying that foreign students aren't capable of being 'world leaders', it's just that they tend to get in with slightly lower offers or slightly lower grades. For example, ALL my friends at school who applied to LSE Law (highest grades being AABB) were accepted while I read about all these UK people with far better grades getting rejected.

Plus, it goes across all unis except oxbridge, that foreign students are not required to come for interview.

Hey, do not hurt the feelings of our dear friend, he's so damn proud of being an LSE student that this sort of thing is bound to crush him.
Reply 11
doesnt mean n e thing. i was at oxford 4 my intaview- met one guy predicted 5As at Alevel and another predicted AAB for a history related subject it hink econ and history or sumthng. n e way the guy wit AAB prediction got in at LSE and the one wit 5As.
i met a girl who got rejected by 5 out of her 6 unis- guess who she got......LSE.
the moral of the ucas story: its a lottery, dnt keep your hopes up no matta how good you are (how cynical am i!)

Latest

Trending

Trending