The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Racharx
Hi, if i didnt take biology at A level, there's no chance of apply? :frown:

Hi,

Unfortunately, you do not meet the minimum entry requirements as UCL requires both Chemistry and Biology studied at A Level.
Reply 101
"Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level."

So... how much is "some"? :holmes:
Reply 102
I have the following predicted grades:
My predicted grades are the following:
Chemistry HL - 7
Biology HL - 7
Economics HL - 7
English Lang & Lit SL - 7
Portuguese Lit SL - 7
Math SL - 7

Total: 42/42

I am planning in having B in TOK and B in EE, having 2 additional points.

Is there any chance for my application to be accepted in UCL?

And how strong does UCL rely on the BMAT?
Reply 103
Original post by jinye

And how strong does UCL rely on the BMAT?

I cannot comment on your predicted grades as I do not understand your system, but if you are predicted a 44/45, I wouldn't say you don't have a strong chance!

UCL looks at everything so even with a weak(er) BMAT, you may still have a good chance! A friend of mine didn't do so well but still managed to get an interview (followed by an offer)!

Original post by suncake
"Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level."

So... how much is "some"? :holmes:

Nothing that will make or break an individuals application as far as I know.
Reply 104
Original post by Revent
I cannot comment on your predicted grades as I do not understand your system, but if you are predicted a 44/45, I wouldn't say you don't have a strong chance!

UCL looks at everything so even with a weak(er) BMAT, you may still have a good chance! A friend of mine didn't do so well but still managed to get an interview (followed by an offer)!

My system is the International Baccalaureate. However I am really scared of the BMAT and the interview, if called for one. I feel that I will really mess up with my chances of getting to any uni for that reason.
Reply 105
Original post by jinye
My system is the International Baccalaureate. However I am really scared of the BMAT and the interview, if called for one. I feel that I will really mess up with my chances of getting to any uni for that reason.

I know it is the IB but I don't know the full logistics of it! However, if you are predicted that, you should be fine academics wise (providing your high school results were decent). The BMAT is just one of many factors that UCL looks at! You should worry about the interviews when/if they come!
Reply 106
Original post by Revent
Nothing that will make or break an individuals application as far as I know.

I guessed as much; I'm just curious in what way would they give preference to certain people, just because they're taking a contrasting (non-relevant!) subject.. Might email them and ask :redface:
Reply 107
Original post by suncake
I guessed as much; I'm just curious in what way would they give preference to certain people, just because they're taking a contrasting (non-relevant!) subject.. Might email them and ask :redface:

If I were to guess, I would say it would be in a scenario with 2 candidates of roughly equal ability with the only notable difference being the contrasting subject that one studied. However, it would be best to email them as you have suggested! Bear in mind that although you may think a subject is irrelevant, the skills that one can gain from studying said subject are almost certainly transferable. For example, you may be surprised by how much paperwork that doctors have to do! I think good communication skills via writing may come in hand in such a situation. A candidate purely studying the sciences may not be as strong in these areas despite the subject itself being more relevant!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by purplefrog
No idea unfortunately. But I don't think it will be as forumulaic as that. It will depend on the cohort that apply and what their data is like. And UCL literally pick all parts of your application to give you a priority rank - so an awesome PS with a slightly better-than-average BMAT can easily offset whatever they define "weak" UMS to be. I suggest reading the post in my sig about UCLMS applications to see just how diversely they pick people (as you'll *hopefully* find out in interview should you choose to apply).

HI , I still haven't figure out how to read sig. Help please...
Reply 109
Original post by SaintSoldier
UCL admissions depends heavily on the cohort, as this rather angry email from them explains:

"It is impossible to predict a candidate's change of a successful application as the application has not been made, the BMAT has not been sat and we have not reviewed the other 2500 applications that we receive each year."

not very friendly...we will be grateful if they could say sth. in 2012 entry...
Original post by Danshu321
HI , I still haven't figure out how to read sig. Help please...

The links displyed below this post (look down)

For those asking about contrasting subject... the preference given is negligible. At least half the year group have 3 maths/sciences at A2. Which is expected seeing as a good proportion of applicants take another subject at A2 in addition to bio+chem.
Reply 111
Original post by purplefrog
The links displyed below this post (look down)

For those asking about contrasting subject... the preference given is negligible. At least half the year group have 3 maths/sciences at A2. Which is expected seeing as a good proportion of applicants take another subject at A2 in addition to bio+chem.

I think I found it...is it the small white triangle within a blue circle...it links to another page with your profile...
i will be applying to ucl (long shot i know!) for med, was thinking of putting my fifth option for pharmacy at ucl...is this okay?
i would be willing to take pharmacy if i recieved four other med rejections as i am on a gap year now :frown:
3A*s 6As 2Bs
A*AAac achieved

thanks,
Reply 114
Original post by psycho analyst
i will be applying to ucl (long shot i know!) for med, was thinking of putting my fifth option for pharmacy at ucl...is this okay?
i would be willing to take pharmacy if i recieved four other med rejections as i am on a gap year now :frown:
3A*s 6As 2Bs
A*AAac achieved

thanks,

Hi, I believe you may be underestimating yourself here. Your GCSE results may not be the best, but they meet the requirements for almost all medical schools. Your A Levels are fantastic and are above what medical schools want (with the exception of Oxford and Cambridge)! If I were you, I would focus on making this gap year productive and fixing your application so that you are playing to your strengths. Best of luck!
Original post by Revent
Hi, I believe you may be underestimating yourself here. Your GCSE results may not be the best, but they meet the requirements for almost all medical schools. Your A Levels are fantastic and are above what medical schools want (with the exception of Oxford and Cambridge)! If I were you, I would focus on making this gap year productive and fixing your application so that you are playing to your strengths. Best of luck!

thankyou :smile: but i know the majority of ucl med applicants have excellent grades! etc my ps is average, just hoping to ace the bmat to increase my chances of interview...im hoping to get a full time job, alongside tutoring children &volunteering at charity shop and care home...
Reply 116
thankyou :smile: but i know the majority of ucl med applicants have excellent grades! etc my ps is average, just hoping to ace the bmat to increase my chances of interview...im hoping to get a full time job, alongside tutoring children &volunteering at charity shop and care home...

You have excellent grades as well! If your PS is average, do something about it; that aspect is almost completely under your control. If it is average, make it excellent. UCL look at every aspect of your application so if you do well in everything, you should be fine!

You are hoping to do so...? Which of those are you hoping to do and which of those are you currently doing?
Original post by Revent
You have excellent grades as well! If your PS is average, do something about it; that aspect is almost completely under your control. If it is average, make it excellent. UCL look at every aspect of your application so if you do well in everything, you should be fine!

You are hoping to do so...? Which of those are you hoping to do and which of those are you currently doing?

i already tutor children, i have previously volunteered at a charity shop and care home for more than a year, just a case of continuing during my gap year. and im hoping to get a full/part time job
Im thinking of applying ucl/sgul/sheffield/exeter and ucl for pharm, ukcat was average at 647.5
:smile:
Reply 118
i already tutor children, i have previously volunteered at a charity shop and care home for more than a year, just a case of continuing during my gap year. and im hoping to get a full/part time job
Im thinking of applying ucl/sgul/sheffield/exeter and ucl for pharm, ukcat was average at 647.5
:smile:

Ah, I see. Well good luck then!
Hey, I'm currently in somewhat of a dilemma, I'm not sure of whether to do the BMAT because I did not take Physics or Maths beyond GCSE level. Would not doing these subjects to AS/A Level put me at a massive disadvantage for the BMAT Section 2? I realize that the BMAT website states that the material is only upto GCSE level but some of the stuff I've seen in BMAT practice papers like mechanics I'm sure was not in my GCSE Maths or Physics. My UKCAT is 705 so I'm thinking of just going for UKCAT schools but I really like UCL and was looking for some advice about whether I'd still be able to well in S2?

Latest

Trending

Trending