Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should I tell my Uni's about surgery?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey, since applying to University/doing student finance etc I have found out that I am eligible for surgery at the beginning of July to fix my messed up sternum. The surgery is quite major with some risks etc, and there is a reasonably long recovery time, i won't be allowed to lift objects above my head for a few months or carry excess weight for a while..

Do I/should I contact my firm/insurance universities to tell them about this? I've never mentioned any medical illness' etc on my applications because my condition doesn't have any physical problems, my major organs etc are all fine :P. It's more of a psychological problem with how I perceive myself.

I'm not entirely sure if I will need any additional help whilst at uni, because everyone recovers differently and the surgeon isn't sure how long the healing process will take, but I feel conflicted in the sense that I don't want to make a big deal out of this when I could be fine by the time uni starts and it would have no effect at all... But i don't want to ignore it incase I do have requirements like a ground floor apartment or other things like that to make life easier.

I won't find out until the 15th of June whether I am actually 100% having the surgery because funding and other stuff I don't really understand has to be organised, and that's the date of my consultation to discuss the actual surgery before I have it, so for all I know the funding could be turned down and I end up not having any surgery.

That would be even worse because I would of notified them about something that hasn't even happened! So... what would you do?

Thanks for reading
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you have confirmation of surgery and then tell them that day so they've got enough notice.

Hope everything works out
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for an opinion that sounds logical!

And thank you very much ^^ Hopefully it will!
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest contacting the Disability Support Office at your universities - they're well used to dealing with this sort of thing, and if they can't help then they'll know who can
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Should I do that ASAP? Or wait for confirmation of my surgery?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.