The Student Room Group

uk student to american UNIs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Since May 1 is a deadline to say yes/no to one uni only, I think one has to decline all UK unis as well prior to accepting a US uni. what is the procedure?

Can someone clarify? thanks
Original post by MirandaPanda
What? Your sentence above makes no sense whatsoever.

NYU is NOT need-blind for international students (indeed I cannot find any information which states that it is need-blind for internationals, so I have no idea where you've got your information from).

Most importantly however, your post makes no sense. The definition of need-blind is where an applicant's financial status is not taken into account when being considered for admission. It makes NO sense to be need-blind but then not offer full-need to admitted students; so for example, if I need aid of $X to be able to attend NYU, and I'm given an offer b/c NYU is supposedly need-blind, but then not given $X of aid I need to actually attend, its a wasted offer.

A university, including NYU, cannot be "need-blind" and "not meet full-need"; its an utter waste of time and resources.

Yes but needs blind proposes that if you are given an offer they WILL supply you with the financial aid to attend. For example, Cornell do offer Internationals aid but they are not "needs blind". As a result they will not take into account you're financial status with deciding you're application but may give you an offer with little to no aid accompanied. Where as Harvard, Yale, or Dartmouth will have to supply you with the aid regardless of how much it is if they choose to give you an offer. NYU are not needs blind becuase their financial endowment is not generous enough to supply it. This why you will only find the top (richest) schools supplying "needsblind", schools such as Harvard, Yale, and MIT.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mclovin123
Yes but needs blind proposes that if you are given an offer they WILL supply you with the financial aid to attend. For example, Cornell do offer Internationals aid but they are not "needs blind". As a result they will not take into account you're financial status with deciding you're application but may give you an offer with little to no aid accompanied. Where as Harvard, Yale, or Dartmouth will have to supply you with the aid regardless of how much it is if they choose to give you an offer. NYU are not needs blind becuase their financial endowment is not generous enough to supply it. This why you will only find the top (richest) schools supplying "needsblind", schools such as Harvard, Yale, and MIT.

That is exactly what I've written in my post.
Honestly how do people afford to go to American unis. Harvard medicine is over $50000 a year?
Is it all loaned, or scholarships? Always been fascinated by it.
Reply 44
Original post by RocknRap
Unlike UK uni's which only really care about academics, top US uni's love extra-curriculars, especially if they're at a top level.

I think it's because they're spoiled for choice. When you've got the best and brightest applying for your university, you know everyone's academically capable enough, so you end up using the extracurriculars to discriminate between candidates.
Original post by Tabris
I think it's because they're spoiled for choice. When you've got the best and brightest applying for your university, you know everyone's academically capable enough, so you end up using the extracurriculars to discriminate between candidates.

Not really.

In general, their definition of "best and brightest" does not equate to having perfect grades. Lots of people here got rejected from the ivy league universities, with a few of them having straight A* or great scores on the IB. Does this mean that everybody who did receive an offer had excellent grades + ECs? I have a friend who got into Brown and they haven't even done their A-Levels yet.

It's not a competition about who's more involved in so and so extracurricular activities, nor is it as straightforward as doing a few things and getting in. (although that is the case when one goes lower down the rankings but if one wants financial aid, they aren't going to find it there!) No one knows what to do to get in because there is no exact formula. As a rule of thumb, one needs to have good enough grades, SAT scores and a few extracurricular activities that they participate in. That's the bare minimum to know you've got a shot at that 75 dollar lottery.
Original post by Tabris

Exactly; Colleges like Harvard/MIT can pretty much fill their entire entering classes with perfect 2400 applicants, so they choose to take EC's into account too, as their flush with choice frankly.
Original post by MirandaPanda
Exactly; Colleges like Harvard/MIT can pretty much fill their entire entering classes with perfect 2400 applicants, so they choose to take EC's into account too, as their flush with choice frankly.

Wondered if you know how A-level would be converted to GPA(as in GPA for high school)! I saw a thread here in TSR where they actually explained it but when I do the calculation it just goes above 4 and that doesn't seem right!:colondollar:
Reply 48
This convo is ridic. NYU is a suck school
Reply 49
Reds gonna red is all I have to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending