The Student Room Group

Integrate 1 + sinx/cos x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by This Honest
I'm quite stuck on this question: Integrate 1 + sinx/cosx by substitution.
The book also says let u=sin x

Now I was thinking of changing it into sec x + tan x but that didn't get me far

Should I bring cosx to the top?

Sorry btw, I can't use latex so please bear with me!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply 41
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
An alternative approach would be to notice that 1+sinxcosx1+cos(π2x)sin(π2x)2cos2(π4x2)2sin(π4x2)cos(π4x2)\dfrac{1+\sin x}{\cos x} \equiv \dfrac{1+\cos (\frac{\pi}{2} -x)}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{2} - x)} \equiv \dfrac{2\cos^2 (\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2})}{2\sin (\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2})\cos (\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2})}, which after a bit of cancelling leads to logs directly.

EDIT: just realised the OP was asked for a specific sub, so this can be ignored.

By the way, how do you so quickly think about alternative techniques?
Reply 42
Original post by steve2005

Sorry for the confusion, it's B.

It's sorted though. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by steve2005

The question is B
Reply 44
Original post by raheem94
So we were solving the wrong question. The question was different, right?

Yes, as I pointed out you may have mis-interpreted.
Reply 45
Original post by f1mad
Yes, as I pointed out you may have mis-interpreted.

Thanks, but i have understood it before that we were solving the wrong question.
Reply 46
Thanks, but i have understood it before that we were solving the wrong question.

No, my post quite clearly indicates I was referring to the question OP had vaguely posted (since the answer is correct).
Reply 47
Original post by f1mad
No, my post quite clearly indicates I was referring to the question OP had vaguely posted (since the answer is correct).

Yes, i know OP's question was ambiguous, and we all misunderstood it, nuodai cleared the doubt.
By the way, how do you so quickly think about alternative techniques?

Not sure how to answer this. It just stuck out to me as a good approach.
An alternative approach would be to notice that 1+sinxcosx1+cos(π2x)sin(π2x)2cos2(π4x2)2sin(π4x2)cos(π4x2)\dfrac{1+\sin x}{\cos x} \equiv \dfrac{1+\cos (\frac{\pi}{2} -x)}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{2} - x)} \equiv \dfrac{2\cos^2 (\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2})}{2\sin (\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2})\cos (\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2})}, which after a bit of cancelling leads to logs directly.

That's a cool way but I think your third step took it a bit far. Surely it'd be better to do:
1+cos(π2x)sin(π2x)1cos(xπ2)sin(xπ2)Tan(x/2π4) \dfrac{1+\cos (\frac{\pi}{2} -x)}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{2} - x)} \equiv \frac{1-cos(x-\frac{\pi}{2})}{sin(x-\frac{\pi}{2})} \equiv Tan(x/2-\frac{\pi}{4})
Which is standard though I doubt many people know the tan half angle formula.
EDIT: SIGN ERROR!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ben-smith
That's a cool way but I think your third step took it a bit far. Surely it'd be better to do:
1+cos(π2x)sin(π2x)1cos(xπ2)sin(xπ2)Tan(x/2π4) \dfrac{1+\cos (\frac{\pi}{2} -x)}{\sin (\frac{\pi}{2} - x)} \equiv \frac{1-cos(x-\frac{\pi}{2})}{sin(x-\frac{\pi}{2})} \equiv Tan(x/2-\frac{\pi}{4})
Which is standard though I doubt many people know the tan half angle formula.

I think you might have got your identities wrong here. cos is even and sin is odd so you would still have 1+cos(x-pi/2) for the numerator.
Reply 51
Go on to Wolfram alpha and type in integrate "insert question etc" by substitution on search or whatever and then it will show you a complete step by step method.

Someone please tell me why there are some retards negging me!!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
I think you might have got your identities wrong here. cos is even and sin is odd so you would still have 1+cos(x-pi/2) for the numerator.

It's quite possible.
is it not true that cos(y)=-cos(pi-y) and siny=sin(pi-y)?
It's quite possible.
is it not true that cos(y)=-cos(pi-y) and siny=sin(pi-y)?

It is true but π(π2x)=x+π2\pi - (\dfrac{\pi}{2} - x) = x+\dfrac{\pi}{2}. Just a simple sign error. Even with this issue fixed, both methods would bring you to a similar conclusion, I think.
It is true but π(π2x)=x+π2\pi - (\dfrac{\pi}{2} - x) = x+\dfrac{\pi}{2}. Just a simple sign error. Even with this issue fixed, both methods would bring you to a similar conclusion, I think.

:colondollar: answering the question once and for all why I suck at maths.
:colondollar: answering the question once and for all why I suck at maths.

If lack of mathematical ability can be measured by the number of sign errors we make then I'd be among the worst around...

Quick Reply

Latest