Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'd never really thought about this until now...

Announcements Posted on

I'd never really thought about this until now and as I type I'm not even really sure what my question is, but I've just realised that practically all of my female friends (I am female too) are in relationships...and I suppose I kind of feel inadequate as I'm not.

I genuinely have a wide circle of friends and am not complaining that my two best friends have boyfriends and I don't or something silly like that. All except one of my female friends from home has a boyfriend. All of my female friends that I live with this year and am living with next year at uni (in a girls house) have boyfriends. All except one of my female friends on my course at uni has a boyfriend. My main extracurricular results in me mixing mostly with guys - there are a couple of girls in this who I'm close to, one of whom is in a relationship, the other has recently come out of one

I've never had a boyfriend before and sometimes this bothers me, sometimes it doesn't - I try and keep telling myself that it just hasn't happened because I haven't met the right person. I know that I'm not horrifically ugly because I've had a few ONSs with guys who were genuinely good looking (and I'd assume wouldn't start on someone they're repulsed by...), and I don't generally find it particularly hard to pull in a club if this is my intention. On the way back from a night out one of my female friends commented on how she'd noticed a lot of guys looking at me. I also have a wide circle of male and female friends who are all very different people which suggests my personality doesn't make me someone to avoid.

So yeah, I guess that I'm just looking for reassurance that it's not abnormal for a nearly 19y/o girl to not be in a relationship despite the fact that the vast majority of my friends are and that I don't necessarily need to change myself in order for someone to like me romantically...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'd never really thought about this until now and as I type I'm not even really sure what my question is, but I've just realised that practically all of my female friends (I am female too) are in relationships...and I suppose I kind of feel inadequate as I'm not.

I genuinely have a wide circle of friends and am not complaining that my two best friends have boyfriends and I don't or something silly like that. All except one of my female friends from home has a boyfriend. All of my female friends that I live with this year and am living with next year at uni (in a girls house) have boyfriends. All except one of my female friends on my course at uni has a boyfriend. My main extracurricular results in me mixing mostly with guys - there are a couple of girls in this who I'm close to, one of whom is in a relationship, the other has recently come out of one

I've never had a boyfriend before and sometimes this bothers me, sometimes it doesn't - I try and keep telling myself that it just hasn't happened because I haven't met the right person. I know that I'm not horrifically ugly because I've had a few ONSs with guys who were genuinely good looking (and I'd assume wouldn't start on someone they're repulsed by...), and I don't generally find it particularly hard to pull in a club if this is my intention. On the way back from a night out one of my female friends commented on how she'd noticed a lot of guys looking at me. I also have a wide circle of male and female friends who are all very different people which suggests my personality doesn't make me someone to avoid.

So yeah, I guess that I'm just looking for reassurance that it's not abnormal for a nearly 19y/o girl to not be in a relationship despite the fact that the vast majority of my friends are and that I don't necessarily need to change myself in order for someone to like me romantically...
    No it's not abnormal for your friends to be in a relationship and for you not to be.

It seems to be more of a choice on your part (i.e not settling for anything less then the person, which is and has always been my line of thought).

It's better to hold out for the right person then settle for someone for just the sake of it.

However, I keep an open minded view of what is the right person, rather then adhering to a strict criteria, because relationships are all about chemistry.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    tbh you're in a lucky situation.
    all of your friends boyfriends are sooner or later dump your friends (no offence) but it's because they're still young.
    whereas you will find someone who is mature, knows what he wants and wants to be with you forever, so basically you don't have to go through as much pain and heart break as they do? if that makes sense?
    i say for now you just pull random guys (if that's who you are) to experiment on? i mean you only live once right?
    i suggest this because it will help you find a "type" you like and will narrow down a sort of "search" everyone looks out for.
    hope this helped. (:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think lifes better w/o a guy dragging you down, but thats my opinion
    i do know how yu feel though, sometimes i jst want to feel what its like

oh well,
    xx

(Original post by Ben_LiveYourDreams)
    No it's not abnormal for your friends to be in a relationship and for you not to be.

It seems to be more of a choice on your part (i.e not settling for anything less then the person, which is and has always been my line of thought).

It's better to hold out for the right person then settle for someone for just the sake of it.

However, I keep an open minded view of what is the right person, rather then adhering to a strict criteria, because relationships are all about chemistry.
    Aha thanks I do see what you mean - as a guy do you ever think that a girl isn't interested in dating if you've never known her to be in a relationship though? Maybe think she's happy single and therefore unapproachable?

(Original post by whoami?!)
    tbh you're in a lucky situation.
    all of your friends boyfriends are sooner or later dump your friends (no offence) but it's because they're still young.
    whereas you will find someone who is mature, knows what he wants and wants to be with you forever, so basically you don't have to go through as much pain and heart break as they do? if that makes sense?
    i say for now you just pull random guys (if that's who you are) to experiment on? i mean you only live once right?
    i suggest this because it will help you find a "type" you like and will narrow down a sort of "search" everyone looks out for.
    hope this helped. (:
    Mmmm...I can see some of them staying together forever as some of them have already been together for years and are genuinely pretty serious. Others I definitely can't see working long term, so I see what you mean to a certain extent!!
    ...pulling random guys can be fun, and I've done it over the last few months, but I can't help but feel that having a high number will put the nice guys off in the future?! Also the emotional attachment to guys you sleep with generally isn't fun to deal with!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.