Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stop selling laptops with cameras on the front

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 13 followers

I posted this thread ages ago on a whim. People telling me to get a grip etc need to get a grip.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm more concerned about how much it affects my fan speed and heat levels when I turn it on!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ^^ probably not in the slightest?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'd be quite flattered if someone was willing to watch me just staring at a screen for hours. Besides, it's not like you're going to be doing anything at all embarrassing in front of your laptop, right OP?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    duct tape should do the job:awesome:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock_and_roll)
    Honestly, I'd be quite flattered if someone was willing to watch me just staring at a screen for hours. Besides, it's not like you're going to be doing anything at all embarrassing in front of your laptop, right OP?
    :rofl:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Duct taped, fun's over who ever you are.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's actually quite common for people to hack their way to access to your webcam. Having it permanently attached and on does make you more of a target.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How easy would it be to activate a webcam remotely though? Either through malware or through a browser?
    if you are geeky enough and have an internet connection you can do it. Almost anything is possible with a computer these days so i'm with the OP here. However I tend not to walk around naked with my computer turned on and cam focused on me so i'm not bothered. I close the lid when i'm done with the computer :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how many people are skeptical, this isn't some conspiracy theory. There are plenty of people who are interested in such things, and plenty of people who would sit and watch you - despite how boring you think you are - because they get a perverse thrill out of it. There are whole websites and forums devoted to passing around photos and videos obtained through such means, it's not hard to find them. Of course, it's girls who should be particularly aware.

Now yes, of course, the numbers are on your side and this shouldn't be blown out of proportion; just like identity theft it's way more likely to not be you (in fact if you are a victim then it's probably because you were specifically targeted), but that doesn't mean it isn't wise to at least be aware of it and concede that it does happen. Using something to cover the camera up when you aren't using it isn't a complete overreaction. As for the little green light that comes on when it's in use, I suspect that it's not impossible that someone capable of hacking your webcam could find a way of overriding it.

Here's one guy caught for it, and another, and another, and another and yet another (after a lazy search). Keep in mind for how long someone could be doing this before they get caught (given how computer savvy they must be), the ones caught are only the tip of the iceberg. Added to that, the majority of those caught were only caught because they were stupid enough to contact the victim and then try and blackmail them with the images. It's impossible to put a figure on how many people do it and silently lurk for months/years. Additionally, here's a story about it happening from GQ.

So yeah, I'm not saying to be paranoid, but don't bury your head in the sand about it either. It happens, even though it probably isn't happening to you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Most people who don't know webcams can be hacked are not scared.

Those who know, it's invasion of privacy.
    To be honest if theres a guy spying on you VIA webcam you should have bigger worries.

Like the fact hes probably reading your CV, collecting your bank account details, reading your emails, downloading confidential work, checking your ebay. Having false identies made, making massive purchases uses your details. Using your computer as a proxy server for him to commit more seriouse crime in which you would take the rap as your PC would appear in the logs.

Your life could well be practically over, your reputation could be ruined, you could be left pennyless even arrested and thrown in jail for crimes you didn't commit. I'd be thankfull that hes just been spying on you via webcam.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most laptops have some sort of indication that the camera is operating. Not too sure if this can be bypassed, I'd imagine it'd be on a hardware level so it'd be very difficult to make the camera work without making the LED come on.

Also, the cameras are usually such poor quality that you really don't need to worry about someone watching you through it!

I've disabled mine in device manager as I'll never use it.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I can't believe how many people are skeptical, this isn't some conspiracy theory. There are plenty of people who are interested in such things, and plenty of people who would sit and watch you - despite how boring you think you are - because they get a perverse thrill out of it. There are whole websites and forums devoted to passing around photos and videos obtained through such means, it's not hard to find them. Of course, it's girls who should be particularly aware.

Now yes, of course, the numbers are on your side and this shouldn't be blown out of proportion; just like identity theft it's way more likely to not be you (in fact if you are a victim then it's probably because you were specifically targeted), but that doesn't mean it isn't wise to at least be aware of it and concede that it does happen. Using something to cover the camera up when you aren't using it isn't a complete overreaction. As for the little green light that comes on when it's in use, I suspect that it's not impossible that someone capable of hacking your webcam could find a way of overriding it.

Here's one guy caught for it, and another, and another, and another and yet another (after a lazy search). Keep in mind for how long someone could be doing this before they get caught (given how computer savvy they must be), the ones caught are only the tip of the iceberg. Added to that, the majority of those caught were only caught because they were stupid enough to contact the victim and then try and blackmail them with the images. It's impossible to put a figure on how many people do it and silently lurk for months/years. Additionally, here's a story about it happening from GQ.

So yeah, I'm not saying to be paranoid, but don't bury your head in the sand about it either. It happens, even though it probably isn't happening to you.
    This.

I know that it happens and sometimes I wonder if anyone is watching but chances are I'm safe. If I do get more paranoid, I'll just go and stick something over it until I need it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 8, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.