Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating Pains Au Chocolat after best before?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigyouth)
    you could still choke on it though..
    Tbf most people use common sense on these matters...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetsAndSugar)
    Tbf most people use common sense on these matters...
    Whilst it is common sense not to eat something like eggs past their use by, the 'best before' isn't so easily judged unless the product itself is 'tested' (and if it is a long time past the date, it may not even be safe to do this) or asked about. - Eating a Pains du Chocolat may be more dangerous than eating a loaf of bread 3 days past best before, (example) but how am I to know this when I google yet get no answer? This means the next route has to be used - asking.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just eat it, ignore the date

I keep my milk till waaaay after the use by date :indiff: I mean, until it actually goes off. Why throw it off if it tastes/smells fine. Same with your pain aux chocolate, warm it up a bit if it's too crispy, it'll be nicer :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotfireLegend)
    Whilst it is common sense not to eat something like eggs past their use by, the 'best before' isn't so easily judged unless the product itself is 'tested' (and if it is a long time past the date, it may not even be safe to do this) or asked about. - Eating a Pains du Chocolat may be more dangerous than eating a loaf of bread 3 days past best before, (example) but how am I to know this when I google yet get no answer? This means the next route has to be used - asking.
    Pretty sure eggs are sold with a use by date, rather than a best before... but it's common sense to sniff a food item and check for mould before tasting if it's a couple of days past the best before date. That is the next route, not asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. :confused:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetsAndSugar)
    Pretty sure eggs are sold with a use by date, rather than a best before... but it's common sense to sniff a food item and check for mould before tasting if it's a couple of days past the best before date. That is the next route, not asking a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. :confused:
    There might've been something I was unaware about regarding the 'rottenness' of a food item, especially if only past a 'best before'. For example, chicken doesn't exactly smell or look bad if you defrost it and cook it improperly, does it? But by the time you've eaten it and realised something's wrong, you've probably got Salmonella :P

Hence the asking. My fears proved to be unfounded
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotfireLegend)
    There might've been something I was unaware about regarding the 'rottenness' of a food item, especially if only past a 'best before'. For example, chicken doesn't exactly smell or look bad if you defrost it and cook it improperly, does it? But by the time you've eaten it and realised something's wrong, you've probably got Salmonella :P

Hence the asking. My fears proved to be unfounded
    Yes it does. Raw chicken and out of date chicken look and smell vastly different to fresh, cooked through chicken. Besides, chicken and other raw foods can as you said cause food poisoning. The only thing I know of that can definitely cause food poisoning after it's been cooked that I wouldn't eat after a best before date is rice as it can give you a very nasty case of food poisoning due to the air getting in the rice (it's something like that anyway).

If in doubt I think about what's in the product - in a pain au chocolat, it'll be pastry (butter, eggs, flour) and chocolate. The eggs have been cooked through so there's nothing there really that can harm you if there's no mould present and it still smells good.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Yes it does. Raw chicken and out of date chicken look and smell vastly different to fresh, cooked through chicken. Besides, chicken and other raw foods can as you said cause food poisoning. The only thing I know of that can definitely cause food poisoning after it's been cooked that I wouldn't eat after a best before date is rice as it can give you a very nasty case of food poisoning due to the air getting in the rice (it's something like that anyway).

If in doubt I think about what's in the product - in a pain au chocolat, it'll be pastry (butter, eggs, flour) and chocolate. The eggs have been cooked through so there's nothing there really that can harm you if there's no mould present and it still smells good.
    Ah, merci. That's the answer I was looking for - thanks! (And sorry for being incorrect on the chicken - I didn't think that was the case!) - The rice is a better example of what I wanted to illustrate.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    THEY ARE OK TO EAT.
    IF they have no MOULD ON.
    Because it's a BEST BEFORE date not a USE BY date.

Glad we cleared that up.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.