Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why does society force guys to bottle up their emotions?

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    You may sho
    w three emotions:

1. Surprise

2. Anger

3. Triumph

Need you any more?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedesifems)
    er.. any person regardless of gender should share emotions with parents, it's what they are there for.

We live in a macho society, men are supposed to be men, I guess.
    But how does the definition of 'man' encompass anything beyond having a y-chromosome and being considered an adult?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    er.. any person regardless of gender should share emotions with parents, it's what they are there for.

We live in a macho society, men are supposed to be men, I guess.
    I'd rather share my emotions with basically anyone other than my parents.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    But how does the definition of 'man' encompass anything beyond having a y-chromosome and being considered an adult?
    That wasn't my point.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't my point.
    "men are supposed to be men" - seems like it was exactly your point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    "men are supposed to be men" - seems like it was exactly your point.
    I didn't mean it in that context. I meant that as we are a macho society, men are supposed to be as such.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    ok i dont mean force at gunpoint or anything. technically we are a free society so they could show as much emotion as they like. but i mean more in the sense of there is extreme pressure from peers, family and other people that guys should bottle up their emotions. showing their emotions is a sign of weakness, unmanly, homosexual etc. if a guy shows caring emotions for a girl, he is seen as a nice guy pushover and not manly enough. guys dont speak to other guys about their problems for fear of being ridiculed. for example, if a guy has a problem about his relationship, it'd be embarrassing to talk with your parents or siblings, your male friends would ridicule you and your female friends would view you as a pushover/gay. who else can a guy turn to? only a counsillor but the NHS has a very long waiting list (several months or more) so by the time he sees a counsillor, his problem would probably be over.

why is it seen as so wrong that guys can't show emotion? its not a healthy way of living and suicide rates are much higher among young guys than young girls.
    Because we're guys, we have no emotions :cool:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.