Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Double Majors

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do all unis in the US offer the oppurtunity to take a double majors, and doing to two degrees simultaneously?

if not which unis do offer them which are good for business/finance related courses?

Thank you
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge, every University offers double majors.

A double major is NOT going two degrees simultaneously. You will graduate with only ONE bachelor's degree, but your degree will be two different subjects.

For example, my degree is "Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Politics" where philosophy is one major and politics is another major.

In the US we also have 'minors', which is essentially 1/2 of a major (you only take 1/2 of the classes which a major student would do). You can double major; you can major and have a minor; you can major and have a double minor; You can double major and have a minor; You can double major and double minor. I'm going to point out that the latter two (double majoring and having a minor, or double majoring and having a double minor) are almost impossible, due simply to time and credit constraints.

The best Undergraduate Business schools in the US, in order:

University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
    University of California - Berkeley (Haas)
    University of Michigan (Ross)
    University of Virginia (McIntire)
    New York University (Stern)
    University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flager)
    University of Texas - Austin (College of Business)
    Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper)
    Cornell University (Dyson)
    University of Southern California (Marshall)
    Emory University (Goizueta)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The university of notre dame mendoza is actually a top school for business. Not sure what the.above order is based on but a lot of those.schools.are interchangeable.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharri5)
    The university of notre dame mendoza is actually a top school for business. Not sure what the.above order is based on but a lot of those.schools.are interchangeable.
    The USNews Undergraduate Business rankings - it's the most accepted ranking in the US.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    The USNews Undergraduate Business rankings - it's the most accepted ranking in the US.
    not necessary for business. Among my friends BusinessWeek held a bigger sway. OP, BW is a good source for info about the schools and their program.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    not necessary for business. Among my friends BusinessWeek held a bigger sway. OP, BW is a good source for info about the schools and their program.
    LOL. No. Sorry, but you and your friends clearly are unfamiliar with US schools; either that or you're unfamiliar with the actual perceived rankings of business schools as well as the accuracy of rankings.

BW puts Notre Dame as the #1 Business school in the US.

That's so blatantly false it's not even funny

They put Notre Dame, UVa, and Emory above UPenn Wharton.

Sorry, but anyone who actually lives in the US knows that that's not even close to true. Wharton is and had been, for a very long time, the top business school in the country.

The BW rankings are WAY off. Like I said, the USNews rankings are by far the better rankings.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    LOL. No. Sorry, but you and your friends clearly are unfamiliar with US schools; either that or you're unfamiliar with the actual perceived rankings of business schools as well as the accuracy of rankings.

BW puts Notre Dame as the #1 Business school in the US.

That's so blatantly false it's not even funny

They put Notre Dame, UVa, and Emory above UPenn Wharton.

Sorry, but anyone who actually lives in the US knows that that's not even close to true. Wharton is and had been, for a very long time, the top business school in the country.

The BW rankings are WAY off. Like I said, the USNews rankings are by far the better rankings.
    the bw rankings aren't off. They just judge things other than reputation. Once again. The us news rankings are not the be all and end all on b schools. I detect you don't know what the **** you're talking about, especially if you think Mendoza isn't good. Jokes on you
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    the bw rankings aren't off. They just judge things other than reputation. Once again. The us news rankings are not the be all and end all on b schools. I detect you don't know what the **** you're talking about, especially if you think Mendoza isn't good. Jokes on you
    I don't happen to go to school in the US or anything like that. Nor I have applied and gone through the whole process of undergraduate education and applied to postgraduate courses :confused:

Let's see... UPenn vs. Notre Dame

UPenn is far richer
    UPenn is far more reputable
    UPenn spends far more on research per year
    UPenn employs a better faculty
    UPenn is much harder to get into
    UPenn provides better need-based aid (making it cheaper than Notre Dame in most cases)
    UPenn grads make, on average, more money than Notre Dame
    UPenn grads end up on Wall St. more than any other school.

Remind me, how is Notre Dame somehow 'better' than UPenn? :confused:

Stern isn't even on the rankings you provided, even though it's one of the most sought after and has one of the largest number of Wall St. graduates of any school in the US.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't happen to go to school in the US or anything like that. Nor I have applied and gone through the whole process of undergraduate education and applied to postgraduate courses :confused:

Let's see... UPenn vs. Notre Dame

UPenn is far richer
    UPenn is far more reputable
    UPenn spends far more on research per year
    UPenn employs a better faculty
    UPenn is much harder to get into
    UPenn provides better need-based aid (making it cheaper than Notre Dame in most cases)

Remind me, how is Notre Dame somehow 'better' than UPenn? :confused:

Stern isn't even on the rankings you provided, even though it's one of the most sought after and has one of the largest number of Wall St. graduates of any school in the US.
    Lol, you liar. I never said Mendoza was better than Penn so stop lying. What I said was that the us news rankings did not have the final word and your meaningless order of schools was just that, meaningless. Again, jokes on you.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol, you liar. I never said Mendoza was better than Penn so stop lying. What I said was that the us news rankings did not have the final word and your meaningless order of schools was just that, meaningless. Again, jokes on you.
    You tried to claim that businessweek rankings aren't wrong; you tried to claim the businessweek rankings were accurate.

They put Notre Dame as number 1, followed by UVa and Emory and then UPenn.

Meanwhile, it's clearly false that Notre Dame is better than UPenn. UPenn is very clearly much better than Notre Dame.

Thereby, those rankings are in no way accurate. :confused:

Apparently you cannot understand that?

Either we can assert: (1) that the businessweek rankings are not accurate because they attempt to put Notre Dame as being better than UPenn; or (2) you can try to claim that Notre Dame is better than UPenn (which is clearly false).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You tried to claim that businessweek rankings aren't wrong; you tried to claim the businessweek rankings were accurate.

They put Notre Dame as number 1, followed by UVa and Emory and then UPenn.

Meanwhile, it's clearly false that Notre Dame is better than UPenn. UPenn is very clearly much better than Notre Dame.

Thereby, those rankings are in no way accurate. :confused:

Apparently you cannot understand that?

Either we can assert: (1) that the businessweek rankings are not accurate because they attempt to put Notre Dame as being better than UPenn; or (2) you can try to claim that Notre Dame is better than UPenn (which is clearly false).
    how slow are you? Or is it that you just like lying? My point was that the bw rankings were legitimate and had the same if not more legitamacy than u.s. Anyone with any knowledge knows how great Mendoza is. The only reason Wharton gets more play is of it's rep. If you had any sense you'd know rep wasn't everything. A look at Mendoza's an d others placement stats show the strength of the program. Stop acting like the only legitimate b school is Wharton. Seriously, how slow are you?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    how slow are you? Or is it that you just like lying? My point was that the bw rankings were legitimate and had the same if not more legitamacy than u.s.
    They clearly don't. :confused:

They're saying Mendoza is better than Wharton. Which is blatantly false. Wharton is by far a better school. NYU Stern is better than Mendoza.

Stern is arguably on par with Wharton for Finance - as Stern benefits from it's NYC location.

Mendoza is nowhere near as reputable as Wharton, Stern, Sloan, Haas, Ross, etc. All of these schools have better placement record, higher average salaries, and so on. :confused:

Mendoza is very clearly not better than these schools.

And, in fact, I never lied. You're trying to claim that Mendoza is better than Wharton. You provided the rankings saying 'Look, it's #1 on these rankings'. For those rankings to be acceptable, you have to claim that Mendoza is better than Wharton (otherwise the rankings are useless and might just be done by picking numbers for all you know). Mendoza is not better than Wharton - nor is better than McIntire, Ross, Stern, Sloan and Haas. That ranking doesn't even include Stern.

You very clearly don't know anything about business schools in the US.

Anyone with any knowledge knows how great Mendoza is.
    It's not on the same level as Wharton. Nor Stern, Sloan, Haas or Ross.
    Sorry, that's just a fact.

The only reason Wharton gets more play is of it's rep. If you had any sense you'd know rep wasn't everything.
    It has a better faculty, better employment record, higher starting salaries and so on and so forth. :confused:

They aren't anywhere close to being on the same level.

A look at Mendoza's an d others placement stats show the strength of the program.
    Compare their placement record to Wharton, Sloan, Haas, Ross and Stern. You'll see that these schools place more students into higher position with higher starting salaries.

Stop acting like the only legitimate b school is Wharton. Seriously, how slow are you?
    Stop acting like Mendoza is as good as Wharton by trying to use the Businessweek rankings to justify it. They're crap rankings and everyone knows it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They clearly don't. :confused:

They're saying Mendoza is better than Wharton. Which is blatantly false. Wharton is by far a better school. NYU Stern is better than Mendoza.

Stern is arguably on par with Wharton for Finance - as Stern benefits from it's NYC location.

Mendoza is nowhere near as reputable as Wharton, Stern, Sloan, Haas, Ross, etc. All of these schools have better placement record, higher average salaries, and so on. :confused:

Mendoza is very clearly not better than these schools.

And, in fact, I never lied. You're trying to claim that Mendoza is better than Wharton. You provided the rankings saying 'Look, it's #1 on these rankings'. For those rankings to be acceptable, you have to claim that Mendoza is better than Wharton (otherwise the rankings are useless and might just be done by picking numbers for all you know). Mendoza is not better than Wharton - nor is better than McIntire, Ross, Stern, Sloan and Haas. That ranking doesn't even include Stern.

You very clearly don't know anything about business schools in the US.

It's not on the same level as Wharton. Nor Stern, Sloan, Haas or Ross.
    Sorry, that's just a fact.

It has a better faculty, better employment record, higher starting salaries and so on and so forth. :confused:

They aren't anywhere close to being on the same level.

Compare their placement record to Wharton, Sloan, Haas, Ross and Stern. You'll see that these schools place more students into higher position with higher starting salaries.

Stop acting like Mendoza is as good as Wharton by trying to use the Businessweek rankings to justify it. They're crap rankings and everyone knows it.
    the only thing I could gather from your incoherent post is how much of a ignorant liar you actually are. Just because you think a school is better doesn't mean it is. There are great b schools outside of Wharton and that is a fact. Location does not make one school better than another. Salaries go back to rep. Once again you know ****all about this topic. McIntire, Mendoza and Ross are all great programs. Wharton is once again not the be all and end all. Lol at u talking about faculty. Many of those distinguished profs don't even teach the courses. Wharton is not wear the crowd when it comes to undergrad b schools and that is a fact.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why the two of you are bickering but good on you for arguing about a mundane subject. :rolleyes:
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    the only thing I could gather from your incoherent post is how much of a ignorant liar you actually are. Just because you think a school is better doesn't mean it is. There are great b schools outside of Wharton and that is a fact. Location does not make one school better than another. Salaries go back to rep. Once again you know ****all about this topic. McIntire, Mendoza and Ross are all great programs. Wharton is once again not the be all and end all. Lol at u talking about faculty. Many of those distinguished profs don't even teach the courses. Wharton is not wear the crowd when it comes to undergrad b schools and that is a fact.
    Incoherent? You can't even spell, let alone form a grammatically correct and understandable sentence. :confused:

Wharton is the best undergraduate business school; that's just fact.

There are plenty of great business school, yes. I never said that there weren't. :confused:

Merely, I pointed out that Mendoza is not the #1 business school, contrary to what both you and businessweek are trying to purport.

In the US, the top 5 business schools are usually as follows:
    Wharton
    Sloan
    Haas
    Ross
    Stern

Programs such as McIntire, Kenan-Flager, College of Business (UT-A), Tepper, Cornell and Marshall fill the top 6-10 spots usually.

Mendoza is typically in with Goizueta, Kelley, Fisher, University of Illinois - Urbana, Carlson, University of Wisconsin - Madison and Olin. Which typically fall in the 11-20 range.

If you're not aware of that, then you're clearly very unaware of the actual rankings of business schools, as well as placement records, and so on and so forth. :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Incoherent? You can't even spell, let alone form a grammatically correct and understandable sentence. :confused:

Wharton is the best undergraduate business school; that's just fact.

There are plenty of great business school, yes. I never said that there weren't. :confused:

Merely, I pointed out that Mendoza is not the #1 business school, contrary to what both you and businessweek are trying to purport.

In the US, the top 5 business schools are usually as follows:
    Wharton
    Sloan
    Haas
    Ross
    Stern

Programs such as McIntire, Kenan-Flager, College of Business (UT-A), Tepper, Cornell and Marshall fill the top 6-10 spots usually.

Mendoza is typically in with Goizueta, Kelley, Fisher, University of Illinois - Urbana, Carlson, University of Wisconsin - Madison and Olin. Which typically fall in the 11-20 range.

If you're not aware of that, then you're clearly very unaware of the actual rankings of business schools, as well as placement records, and so on and so forth. :confused:

Wow, you're still lying aren't you? Wharton is not the best and that is a fact. Mendoza and others are just as good. You're slow aren't you? Your incoherent rants are pathetic.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're still lying aren't you? Wharton is not the best and that is a fact. Mendoza and others are just as good. You're slow aren't you? Your incoherent rants are pathetic.
    Alright, since you apparently seem to know it all...

How is Mendoza just as good?

Wharton, Stern, Ross, Haas and Sloan graduates are hired more; they're paid more; they're recruited more; they hold more positions as top executives than graduates from Mendoza; they have better faculty; etc.

How is Mendoza just as good? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Let me guess Wharton rejected you and you're still angry about it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who doesn't recognize bw is clearly someone who knows nothing about business.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who doesn't recognize bw is clearly someone who knows nothing about business.
    Businessweek is no way an accurate ranking. No one takes it seriously. Just because it has the word 'business' in it doesn't mean that it must be completely correct or accurate ranking.

Here's an idea: Do a simple google search and find out why it isn't considered to be accurate at all.

I also love how you clearly stated how Mendoza is better than Wharton, Stern, Ross, Haas and Sloan. Your explanations as to how Mendoza is ahead of all of those top 5 business schools was phenomenal. :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alright, since you apparently seem to know it all...

How is Mendoza just as good?

Wharton, Stern, Ross, Haas and Sloan graduates are hired more; they're paid more; they're recruited more; they hold more positions as top executives than graduates from Mendoza; they have better faculty; etc.

How is Mendoza just as good? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Let me guess Wharton rejected you and you're still angry about it?
    She/he's a troll.

On a related note; even I know location can make a lot of difference. In the UK London is typically the best location for law and IB/finance because that's where a lot of the best companies in those fields are based, among other reasons. In the US I assume it's NYC. Maybe some other cities depending on career etc.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 11, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.