Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ronaldo > Messi

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    Ludicrous that people are considering Messi the best player of all time!
    Not really, no.

By all admission, Messi is easily one of the most gifted footballers ever - players as insanely effective as him come about so sporadically, I don't see how anyone could NOT agree that he's up there with the best of all time, at least.

What's ludicrous is that some people actually don't consider him to be the best of all time (or, at the very least, one of the best). I mean, for god sake, what does he have to prove? He's a triple Ballon d'Or winner at the tender age of 24, a triple Champions League winner, Barcelona's record goalscorer, and a scorer in BOTH Champions League finals he's featured in. He is only 24 years of age - Ronaldinho, one of the most insanely talented players of all time, only won his FIRST Ballon d'Or when he was 24, and Messi's already won 3. I'm aware that awards like these aren't an accurate means of gauging a player's worth, but it's testament to Messi that he's been clear winner on so many occasions.

Bloody hell, you really need to wake up and realise that Messi is a big deal, and if people consider him the greatest of all time, rightly so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladotelli)
    Not really, no.

By all admission, Messi is easily one of the most gifted footballers ever - players as insanely effective as him come about so sporadically, I don't see how anyone could NOT agree that he's up there with the best of all time, at least.

What's ludicrous is that some people actually don't consider him to be the best of all time (or, at the very least, one of the best). I mean, for god sake, what does he have to prove? He's a triple Ballon d'Or winner at the tender age of 24, a triple Champions League winner, Barcelona's record goalscorer, and a scorer in BOTH Champions League finals he's featured in. He is only 24 years of age - Ronaldinho, one of the most insanely talented players of all time, only won his FIRST Ballon d'Or when he was 24, and Messi's already won 3. I'm aware that awards like these aren't an accurate means of gauging a player's worth, but it's testament to Messi that he's been clear winner on so many occasions.

Bloody hell, you really need to wake up and realise that Messi is a big deal, and if people consider him the greatest of all time, rightly so.
    He has to prove he can be that good in the best league in the world the Premier League, and then I believe he can be considered to be the greatest until then I would still rather have Ronaldo
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really, no.

He's no where near the best of all time yet! He didn't deserve that second Balon D'Or
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay_T91)
    He has to prove he can be that good in the best league in the world the Premier League, and then I believe he can be considered to be the greatest until then I would still rather have Ronaldo
    Of all the premfaces in the world, the Student Room has been blessed with the most biased of them all..

Let me ask you this, has Ronaldo achieved anything I mentioned in my last post? Or more to the point, does Messi NEED to play in the Premiership to prove himself? Did you even read my last post? Or are you under the impression that La Liga is a walk in the park?

Also, if we're going to be so superficial, doesn't the fact that Messi's been ultimately more productive than Ronaldo this season just reinforce the idea that he's actually a better player? I mean, how better to judge the two than to compare their respective records side by side, for a season, in the same league?*

* = I'd like to point out the final paragraph was spoken in hyperbole.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    He's no where near the best of all time yet! He didn't deserve that second Balon D'Or
    Yet? What does he need to do to prove himself yet?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, where do I start?

Ronaldo is better at free kicks? Really? In 9 years (starting from 2003 until now) Ronaldo has taken 275 free kicks and scored a grand total of.. 18! 18 free kicks scored, out of a possible 275. I mean, you really think he's better? 18 out of 275. Jesus christ. If you want an idea of how bad that is, just imagine Ronaldo taking 257 free kicks. And missing all of them. Messi has a far superior free kick conversion rate (granted, he takes far less), and you think Ronaldo's better at free kicks? People get so caught up when Ronaldo puts away one of those ''knuckleball shots'', they seem to forget how embarassingly bad Ronaldo actually is at free kicks - so bad that I can wager, of all those he's missed, about half of them didn't even get past the wall.

Ball control is impossible to choose? Messi's up there with the likes of Cassano and Iniesta when it comes to killing the ball with a touch - he can kill anything so cleanly, in one perfect motion. Ronaldo, on the other hand, is typically lax when he's trying to control the ball. Messi is head and shoulders over Ronaldo in this department, that much is true.

''Skill'' is a very broad term, but if you mean technical ability, then this is probably even more fallacious than your claim that Ronaldo is a superior free kick taker. Messi is, simply put, the most technically gifted player EVER. Better than Maradona, better than Cruyff, better than Di Stefano, better than anyone. However, while Ronaldo is technically superb, players as technically gifted as him aren't uncommon. Just over the past few years we've had the likes of Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Kaka and Figo who were all, at one point, as good as Ronaldo technically, if not better. Messi on the other hand, is the most effective dribbler of all time - even Maradona in his infinite humility, would admit that much. I honestly can't think of one technical aspect where Ronaldo even comes close to trumping Messi, so that argument is pretty much invalid.

Work rate goes to Messi? How often do you watch Messi? Off the ball, unless he's moving in to position to support a teammate, he's pretty much static. But Ronaldo's aerobic capacity is just brilliant for an attacking player, and he exerts himself a whole lot more by working the channels, chasing after those lofted balls forward and working defenders.

Please, get a crowbar and try to wriggle your head free from your backside, because this is plain asinine.

Oh, and if I haven't already mentioned, Messi > Ronaldo.

Sorry, what? Did you say something?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I don't know whether you're trolling me or you're actually being serious..
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)

Oh wait cause one game makes you better then someone right ? :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

so...1 goal and he is better?

Anyone who says ronaldo is better than messi is a sorry fan boy (PERSONALLY, I prefer ronaldo for various of reasons but I'm not deluded) I think even RONALDO himself doesn't believe he is better than messi, if messi was in that real team they could have scored 5 against barca tonight.

Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo would be the player in the world if messi didn't exist, i think Ronaldo would have won 4 Balon's in a row probably too.

A myth that really pisses me of is "Ronaldo doesn't do anything in the big games"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

What a surprise someone who calls themselves Manchester United posting such a dumb ass comment.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryci)
    What a surprise someone who calls themselves Manchester United posting such a dumb ass comment.
    I'm a Manchester united supporter and I don't agree so I don't see what the team he supports has to do with his comment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    I'm a Manchester united supporter and I don't agree so I don't see what the team he supports has to do with his comment.
    Ever since this ''not arrogant, just better'' mantra was adopted, Manchester United fans are stigmatised - sometimes rather unfairly.

Take it with a pinch of salt.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Keep hatin' guys.

Like it or not, Ronaldo has just destroyed your precious side.

HOW DO YOU FEEL?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    Its the fact that hes clearly biased. Ronaldo played for united, Messi scored twice in CL finals against United so clearly he has something against him. Plus the fact hes a troll.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting quote from BBC highlighting that Ronaldo does infact perform in the big games.

Messi hasn't scored in his last 4 Clasicos, Ronaldo has scored 4 in his last 5... Which one is not a big game player?
    What annoys me about this Messi vs. Ronaldo debate is that people who advocate one or the other are so up the player's arse that they don't make any rational arguments, like Ladotelli.

I liked Ronaldo's performance today - Messi probably touched the ball 20x more than Ronaldo, but he took his chance and he has made the difference, probably winning Madrid the title.

My opinion is that Messi is slightly better, however I feel Ronaldo is actually quite under-rated and that the gap between the two of them isn't that big.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgreg1)
    Interesting quote from BBC highlighting that Ronaldo does infact perform in the big games.

What annoys me about this Messi vs. Ronaldo debate is that people who advocate one or the other are so up the player's arse that they don't make any rational arguments, like Ladotelli.

I liked Ronaldo's performance today - Messi probably touched the ball 20x more than Ronaldo, but he took his chance and he has made the difference, probably winning Madrid the title.

My opinion is that Messi is slightly better, however I feel Ronaldo is actually quite under-rated and that the gap between the two of them isn't that big.
    Ha! Please elaborate.

Exactly which of the arguments is irrational?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of all the premfaces in the world, the Student Room has been blessed with the most biased of them all..

Let me ask you this, has Ronaldo achieved anything I mentioned in my last post? Or more to the point, does Messi NEED to play in the Premiership to prove himself? Did you even read my last post? Or are you under the impression that La Liga is a walk in the park?

Also, if we're going to be so superficial, doesn't the fact that Messi's been ultimately more productive than Ronaldo this season just reinforce the idea that he's actually a better player? I mean, how better to judge the two than to compare their respective records side by side, for a season, in the same league?*

Well if you read my post in order to be considered the best I believe he does have to prove himself in the Prem. Call me biased all you want but you simply cannot argue that team for team La Liga is even nearly as competitive as the Premiership, whilst I never said it was a walk in the park its just not as good. For example if each placed team played their respective placed teams in the La Liga and the Prem, the Prem would come out on top due to strength in depth which La Liga just doesnt have. Also the one clear reason that stands out why Messi has better stats in Spain than Ronaldo is the supporting cast he plays with, namely Xavi and Iniesta. Lastly I do believe that Messi already has to be considered among the best, to be called the best I think needs to play in the best league.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Points 2nd 31 ahead of 3rd.
    Goal difference: 1st 70 ahead and second 64 ahead of 3rd.
    Yes it is a walk in the park.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/le...,11826,00.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay_T91)
    Well if you read my post in order to be considered the best I believe he does have to prove himself in the Prem. Call me biased all you want but you simply cannot argue that team for team La Liga is even nearly as competitive as the Premiership, whilst I never said it was a walk in the park its just not as good. For example if each placed team played their respective placed teams in the La Liga and the Prem, the Prem would come out on top due to strength in depth which La Liga just doesnt have. Also the one clear reason that stands out why Messi has better stats in Spain than Ronaldo is the supporting cast he plays with, namely Xavi and Iniesta. Lastly I do believe that Messi already has to be considered among the best, to be called the best I think needs to play in the best league.
    Any retard who still hides behind the 'without Xavi and Iniesta he'd score less than half those goals' are clueless and don't watch Barcelona. Xavi and Iniesta have set up under 20 goals between them this season, and Iniesta especially has been injured for a while. Sure the style might him perfectly, but just because Xavi passes to him outside the box doesn't mean without him Messi couldn't dribble past three players then chip the goalie from a ridiculous angle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really, no.

you fool, messi is NOT the greatest player of all time. don't be stupid. are you forgetting zinedine zidane? fat ronaldo? is messi even close to surpassing those? no.

the reason why messi wins so much ****, makes loads of assists and scores loads of goals is because he plays for the best team of all time. if your supply is coming from xavi, iniesta and fabregas it'd be rude to not score/assist the amount messi has. zidane and fat ronaldo proved themselves in italy, spain, europe, AND the WORLD. has messi even played in a world cup semi final let alone win one? haha. and the balloon d'or thing doesn't mean jack because there aren't many great players these days

zidane won it 3 times in a row back when bergkamp, henry, figo, fat ronaldo, raul, ronaldinho, pires etc. were about. the only competition messi has is christiano ronaldo, and if people are even asking the question "who's better messi or ronaldo" it automatically implies that messi can't be up there with pele, zidane, maradonna, fat ronaldo and the rest.

they've all won world cups. zidane came out of retirement at the age of 34 and SINGLE-HANDEDLY carried france to the final, what has messi done outside of barcelona? **** all. zidane at 34 was better than messi is now (vid gets interesting after the 3 minute mark if you're too impatient):

zidane influenced a game the way xavi and iniesta COMBINED are doing so these days, kept possession at all times and never dived. he was unique and in a league of his own. messi is just trying to be maradonna (and yes maradonna was better than messi):

anyone who has watched football for 10 years+ will tell you that messi does not stand a chance of being the best of all time. the fact that messi is pretty much the only stand out player these days (because everyone else is ****) gasses people up so nicely. he can't do **** outside of barcelona. 0 goals in the world cup for messi, and wasn't even argentina's best player of the tournament.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.