Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ronaldo > Messi

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSMark)
    Lets wait and see how he does in the World Cup, the biggest stage of them all.

I dismiss the criticism about prior internationals though, Messi is only 24 right? He has to make World CUp 2014 his though, to be named among Maradonna, Pele etc. What better place to do it than in Brazil!
    Its debatable whether the World Cup is the biggest stage anymore, the last few have been extremely poor. Although it should be international football seems to lack something at the moment.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No. Just no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by American Vampire)
    Should the 'keeper have saved it?
    exactly what I was thinking. Fair enough it was a great strike, but it was poor goalkeeping, that needs to go round the post or over the bar
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSMark)
    I agree with the outcome, however how you justified it, NO!

Fifa would probably take a bribe of £1 to name Harry Potter as the world's best player.
    Some people bloody voted Aguero to be player of the year truly bamboozling picks some of them
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    Its debatable whether the World Cup is the biggest stage anymore, the last few have been extremely poor. Although it should be international football seems to lack something at the moment.
    Of course its the biggest stage and how is your justification of poor formed?because just because Spain aren't the most aggressive side,doesn't mean some people didn't find their play enjoyable.The other world cups before the last one were very high quality and I think the thing that ruined the last world cup was that the two in form sides,Germany and Argentina had to draw in the Quarters and that Germany had a bad game against Spain,apart from that it was a good world cup.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to make a comment about the World Cup debate.

People can say all they want about the World Cup not being as high standard as the Champion's League, but the fact of the matter is that the World Cup will always be the greatest stage.

With the World Cup you have to play in a team, against teams and in stadiums (even countries) that are quite unfamiliar to you with respect to club football. You are put out of your 'comfort-zone' to to speak, you require a different sort of temperment to that which is required to play at the Camp Nou in a CL quarter final, for example. There is also the small matter of having the pressure of your home country weighing upon your shoulders.

People give examples of players like Kleberson winning the World Cup and to be honest it is a rather tiresome arguement. Kleberson won't have the pressure that players like Ronaldo and Messi will have; who carry with them any hopes of international silverware for their respective nations.

Transcending that club form, mentality and bottle into the international stage and playing a key role in your country's success is what will make you one of the best of all time. Sure, people can claim Messi to be the best of all time, but if (and this is a big if) he fails to win the world cup, this claim will never be indubitable, there will always be doubt.

The fact of the matter is that we will never know; we didn't record every one of Pele's matches back in the day and therefore we cannot confirm the genius that anecdote tells us about, unlike Messi where every bit of skill can be dissected and foamed over. And this is the main reason why you hear World Cups being used to differentiate between the best. My opinion? Well, Pele won 3 World Cups spanning 12 years - I don't think it will be done again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    Of course its the biggest stage and how is your justification of poor formed?because just because Spain aren't the most aggressive side,doesn't mean some people didn't find their play enjoyable.The other world cups before the last one were very high quality and I think the thing that ruined the last world cup was that the two in form sides,Germany and Argentina had to draw in the Quarters and that Germany had a bad game against Spain,apart from that it was a good world cup.
    someone doesnt like your views haha I agree the world cups have been lacking. He didnt say anything about them being aggressive. Many people thought the last world cup was poor because the football was pretty bad, the big clubs didnt really perform, officiating was piss poor. The biggest moment in that world cup to remember was de jongs kick on Alonso that says how it lacked something that really made it stand out.
    (Original post by isitinyet?)
    no he doesn't. Also, look at the players messi is surrounded by in the argentina team and he still doesn't produce. Ronaldo has dragged portugal through a lot of close matches without being surrounded by tevez, aguero, higuain...

And being proven in two leagues means it's not the team that makes ronaldo so special but his individual ability. Messi is class but i'm 100% certain he wouldn't have enjoyed the same success playing in the premier league. Theres a lot more physicality to the defending which ronaldo was able to cope with (being 6ft+).
    And he does play as a mid for Argentina, also its all nice having amazing attacking players but sadly you cant play 9 attackers 1 defender and a keeper. Portugal are balanced nicely. Ronaldo has hardly dragged them through much. Also did you see the team United had back then as well they were a quality side. Im 100 percent certain Messi would have success in the premier league since his technical ability would trump. Besides Ronaldo physical? Having a laugh the guy flops like a fish
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    no he doesn't. Also, look at the players messi is surrounded by in the argentina team and he still doesn't produce. Ronaldo has dragged portugal through a lot of close matches without being surrounded by tevez, aguero, higuain...

And being proven in two leagues means it's not the team that makes ronaldo so special but his individual ability. Messi is class but i'm 100% certain he wouldn't have enjoyed the same success playing in the premier league. Theres a lot more physicality to the defending which ronaldo was able to cope with (being 6ft+).
    Ronaldo has hardly done anything with Portugal. When they got to the Euro 04 final he did nothing, and since then they haven't done anything more than Argentina. Ronaldo is also surrounded by players like Nani, Moutinho, Varela, Fernandes, Pepe, Alves... hardly bad players.

You're logical is stupid. David Silva, Sergio Aguero, Luka Modric and Juan Mata are some of the best players in the league (and maybe in the world in their positions) and they cope perfectly fine in the PL. Messi is better, quicker and stronger than these, yet you'd think he'd struggle? :rofl:

The Premier League isn't the only league in the world where physical games, tough tackles and big players exist. Messi gets extremely rough treatment in Spain/in CL and is the best player in the world, this wouldn't change if he played in the PL.

(Original post by Dalek1099)
    It may be the the more historic and more of an occasion, but the quality of play in the CL is higher than in the WC.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    Michael Owen won WPOTY once, Thierry Henry never won it. But I still think Henry was a better player.
    Whilst i agree Henry was the better player. MO never won that either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviesblue)
    Whilst i agree Henry was the better player. MO never won that either.
    Well Owen won the Ballon d'Or one year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no he doesn't.

scholes and giggs (30+) compared to xavi and iniesta in their prime? OK... And sorry but ronaldo cruised past defenders when he wasn't diving. Messi dives yet he seems infallable to criticism for some reason.
    Yes he does 3 people have said it now. What does age have to do with anything? If they can control the play they can control the play like Scholes can. Because Messi doesn't do it as much il admit he does but he is also subject to a ton of heavy challenges and constant shirt pulling where as Ronaldo tries to flop every time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo: 2 goals at the World Cup and 3 goals at the European Championships.

Messi: 1 goal at the World Cup and 2 goals at the Copa America.

Ronaldo > Messi
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryci)
    Yes he does 3 people have said it now. What does age have to do with anything? If they can control the play they can control the play like Scholes can. Because Messi doesn't do it as much il admit he does but he is also subject to a ton of heavy challenges and constant shirt pulling where as Ronaldo tries to flop every time.
    do you even watch la liga?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    he has a better goals per game ratio than messi for one, and they aren't comparable at all to the quality in the argentine team. Seems a bit hypocritical of you to come out with that after stating my 'logical is stupid'.

o rly? How many of them are on track to score 40+ goals like messi is in la liga? None? Messi would not be scoring goals at will in the PL. Even disregarding the physicality, there's just a better standard in the PL that Ronaldo dominated. I like how you state messi is stronger than these players, where's your evidence? In fact i'd like to see your evidence for messi being quicker than mata and aguero.

In all honesty, your argument is based upon your perceptions, not fact.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF8-SJ5JNpo theres a bit of a chase down against aguero. Not hard to have a goal to game ratio like that when your team mates basically hold the ball on the line and wait for you to tap it in . How is there a better standard? Wheres your evidence Ronaldo is stronger as well then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you even watch la liga?
    No i watch bundesliga
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    I'll try and explain...

1. Ronaldo is faster
    2. Ronaldo poses an aerial threat
    3. Ronaldo is a greater set-piece threat
    4. Ronaldo has proven he can do his thing in the 2 best leagues in the world.
    5. Ronaldo performs at a similar level to Messi despite not having Xavi & Iniesta feeding him the ball all the time.

Messi has greater close control than Ronaldo, but in the other aspects of their games, and overall, Ronaldo > Messi.

Could Messi do what Ronaldo did in 07-08 in the Prem without Xavi & Iniesta & Alves? Doubt it.
    i dont know what you are on about ,but definitely i want some....

only the 4th is true,all the others are not soo clear as you make them seem..{if u want i give you the aerial threat also} but all the others are totally crap like you have never watched la liga or real football....and only watched them while you play on fifa.. ronaldo gets more support in real than messi gets in barca...see assists received and assists given and you ll understand how out of point you were{not to mention the goals that ronaldos are almost all in the line in the small area..ronaldo is faster but without the ball{and thats not soo sure} but messi is more important faster WITH THE BALL... another funny thing you said
    "but in the other aspects of their games, and overall, Ronaldo > Messi." in which aspects exactly? messi= better scorer ,better dribbler{not just faking in front of the defender with pointless flashy tricks when 80% in the end he ll loose the ball like ronaldo}, stronger{see messi never dives video} more creative ,more assists than ronaldo and also he can just take the ball and run straight to the goalkeeper and be stopped only by foul.

all the crying words about having xavi and iniesta in his team are just pathetic.. maybe he has them but more important THEY HAVE HIM!

Could Messi do what Ronaldo did in 07-08 in the Prem without Xavi & Iniesta & Alves? Doubt it.[/QUOTE] you really want answer?? can ronaldo do what messi does in all the important games {arsenal four goals,when they were loosing 0-1,classicos goals,champions league finals goals and man of the match performances,all the records he has broken ,if i remeber correctly ronaldo lost the penalty in the final of the champions league and almost man utd loose the trophy to chelsea} oBVIOUSLY you dont really know about football if you support messi over ronaldo still...GLAD I HELPED YOU :chaplin: ANSWER when you learned about REAL FOOTBALL...

*btw messi isnt even my favourite player* but still i can separate my favourite to the best.. {you enlgish ..will never understand football at the end whatever happens,stick with rugby better}
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And let's face it, Argentina aren't exactly short on talent, are they? Tevez, Aguero, Di Maria, Mascherano, Banega, Higuain ...

Look at Portugal, Ronaldo is the only stand out player really, some good players but no way near Argentina's class.

To the person above, it's quite funny how you mentioned Ronaldo's penalty miss in the CL final when he scored in that game.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Messi is the better dribbler
    2) Messi steps up in every big game, scoring twice as many as Ronaldo in the CL this year
    3) Messi has scored more free kicks than Ronaldo this year
    4) Messi is younger
    5) Messi has far outscored Ronaldo this year even when counting the ridiculous amount of penalties Ronaldo has had
    6) Messi does not dive unlike Ronaldo, he has pride and passion

Most ****ing IMPORTANTLY which all you idiot Ronaldo fanboys like to ignore when comparing each other is assists...

Messi is 100x the playmaker Ronaldo is, he is unselfish and has a ridiculous 22 assists to his name this season.

Anyone who believes that Ronaldo is better is a moron and who is clueless about football.

These 3 videos sum up why Messi gets compared with the greatest players ever and Ronaldo doesn't...

• 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryci)
    No i watch bundesliga
    they how can you even be having this debate? :facepalm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.