Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ronaldo > Messi

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    ? When did I say Crouch was better than Messi or even comparable to Messi? I was merely pointing out his efficiency compared to a far superior player who on paper should be statiscally destroying Crouch.

Why have you brought up Rooney? My argument was not that "Crouch has a better strike rate, therefore Crouch >> Messi". Please read in context before making some smart-aleck comment.

As for the Higuain thing - BS, all you've done there is show that you don't watch Argentina play outside of the WC. Messi set up like 3 of Higuain's WC goals, but to suggest that he always assists Higuain is BS.

And to suggest that Messi is this selfless player who always looks for the pass is also complete crap, seeing as he took 30 shots at the WC (4th most in the tournament).
    You do realize i was on about the Copa America where he had all those assists for Aguero as well, Messi only had one assist at the world cup.

Did you see who had Most shots missed? Ronaldo tied with Gyan and Sneider. Messi could have had 3 had it not been for a performance of a lifetime from Vincent Enyema.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    You do realize i was on about the Copa America where he had all those assists, Messi only had one assist at the world cup.

Did you see who had Most shots missed? Ronaldo tied with Gyan and Sneider. Messi could have had 3 had it not been for a performance of a lifetime from Vincent Enyema.
    Messi had 2 assists at Copa America... Messi set up pretty much every one of Higuain's goals in the game vs. South Korea.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

Did you just make that stat up? Ronaldo had 9/21 shots on target. Gyan was 17/32, Sneijder was 11/27. If my maths is correct, Ronaldo missed 12, Gyan missed 15, Sneijder missed 16... How are any of them tied?

Messi was 15/30. Shots on target doesn't mean much because I'd rather a player go for top corner and miss than just poke it straight at the keeper for a shot-on-target.

The fact that Messi shot 30 times means he wasn't this benevolent, selfless guy who just wanted to create goals for others.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo's right quad> Messi's right leg though.... FACT!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    IF you mean the Brazillian Ronaldo in his prime then absolutely.

But C.Ronaldo doesn't quite top Messi in performance on the pitch. In my opinion Messi has been and is the best player in the world. Watching him a couple years ago I knew he would become the best.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newky)
    IF you mean the Brazillian Ronaldo in his prime then absolutely.

But C.Ronaldo doesn't quite top Messi in performance on the pitch. In my opinion Messi has been and is the best player in the world. Watching him a couple years ago I knew he would become the best.
    yeh, R9 was MILES better than Messi, and there's certainly not a great deal of difference between the other Ronaldo and Messi. R9 was truly mesmerising
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    There is an argument to be had, Ronaldo should be the best player in the world, but Messi just provides that spark when his team needs it, in the biggest games.

Ronaldo isn't doing that consistently for Real Madrid, certainly not in the biggest games. He can do it, he did it for United, he just needs to do it more against teams like Barcelona for Real.

They are two very different players. If I was putting a dream team together but could only have one or the other, I'd take Ronaldo. One thing he has done which Messi hasn't is adapt to a different team, and change his game.
    I agree. I want to see Messi prove himself in either Italy or England for a couple of seasons before I will consider him the greatest.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damidude)
    I agree. I want to see Messi prove himself in either Italy or England for a couple of seasons before I will consider him the greatest.
    If I'm being honest, I'd be happy to see him play well for Argentina, where they play a completely different system to Barca. I won't say he's not trying, he refused Spanish citizenship to play for Argentina.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    Actually i think you will find it is.
    No its not. Actually.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that really puts messi on top year after year is his trophy cabinet. If this year Ronaldo helps Madrid to a La Liga title (probable) and Champions league (they simply cannot beat barca 1on1) double added to a good euro 2012 then i dare fifa not to give him the award for best player. It was the only reason my beloved thierry henry never won the ballon'dor because arsenal never gave him that success.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavin27)
    The only thing that really puts messi on top year after year is his trophy cabinet. If this year Ronaldo helps Madrid to a La Liga title (probable) and Champions league (they simply cannot beat barca 1on1) double added to a good euro 2012 then i dare fifa not to give him the award for best player. It was the only reason my beloved thierry henry never won the ballon'dor because arsenal never gave him that success.
    Henry's a don.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavin27)
    i think that's a very good point. but again, it's also a quality that messi possesses that ronaldo hasn't yet exhibited, his ability to 'carry' for lack of a better word, his team, hence the trophies being in messi's cabinet and not ronaldo's
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DopeSk1llz)
    i think that's a very good point. but again, it's also a quality that messi possesses that ronaldo hasn't yet exhibited, his ability to 'carry' for lack of a better word, his team, hence the trophies being in messi's cabinet and not ronaldo's
    Please tell me you're not suggesting that Messi has carried Barcelona to their recent trophies.

Zidane carried France to the WC Final in 06.
    Maradona carried Argentina in 1986.

Messi has never had to carry anything in his footballing career. In fact, the one opportunity that he had to really "carry" a team was at the World Cup, and we all know what happened there.

Ronaldo carried United in 07/08/09 more than Messi has ever carried/carries Barca.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very true i am firmly in the messi is better than ronaldo camp mainly because of that point and the fact messi never shirks in the big games but if ronaldo can have a stupendous Euro 2012 and lead his team to victory in that tournament and win LA liga even without the CL he would have to be given the trophy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo carried United enough.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me you're not suggesting that Messi has carried Barcelona to their recent trophies.

Messi has never had to carry anything in his footballing career. In fact, the one opportunity that he had to really "carry" a team was at the World Cup, and we all know what happened there.

Ronaldo carried United in 07/08/09 more than Messi has ever carried/carries Barca.
    Yes, I mean Ronaldo only had Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Giggs and Scholes to create things for him...:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Yes, I mean Ronaldo only had Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Giggs and Scholes to create things for him...:rolleyes:
    Not to mention their Stalwart like defense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by nase14_aldayz)
    Ronaldo carried United enough.
    and whilst at united, ronaldo was almost unanimously the better player. hence his winning of the ballon d'or and world player of the year in 2008. 2008, coincidentally, being the year united won the double.

i say 'carry', but i also say 'for lack of a better word' - he is largely influential in all the games he plays in for barca, and without him, they do not necessarily perform as well - not that they play badly at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They are both great players but what sets them apart is that Messi uses his brain more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

You have a good point especially in your examples but if you look at the timing of their goals throughout the season (when there goals have been scored in the 90 mins) messi scores more goals in the 75-90 mins than any other interval, often turning draws into wins, whereas ronaldos goals are more evenly spaced. Another interesting stat is that without ronaldos goals madrid would have only dropped around 5 points give or take and i would be supremely confident in saying barca would have lost more points without messis goals. So in terms of this season at least there is more evidence than ever to suggest messi carries barca.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The way Messi distorts the defence when he doesn't even have the ball is just something that no other player can do.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.