Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can you not watch Mad Men?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I discovered this series a few days ago when one of my friends tweeted about it being what he watched because Breaking Bad is taking ages to produce a new series. I loved Breaking Bad, so I gave this a try...

Ive now watched all of the first two series!

Its absolutely brilliant. Interesting plots, its funny, its thought-provoking...I love it. I particularly love how they show society so well in the 1960s.

This thread isn't really about storylines and 'omg i cant beleive...' but just your thoughts on it.

Thanks

Vb
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    I discovered this series a few days ago when one of my friends tweeted about it being what he watched because Breaking Bad is taking ages to produce a new series. I loved Breaking Bad, so I gave this a try...

Ive now watched all of the first two series!

Its absolutely brilliant. Interesting plots, its funny, its thought-provoking...I love it. I particularly love how they show society so well in the 1960s.

This thread isn't really about storylines and 'omg i cant beleive...' but just your thoughts on it.

Thanks

Vb
    It's a sorry state of affairs that there doesn't appear to be any other contemporary Mad Men thread, as we're currently up to Season 5, Episode 8.

Not sure where you are at the moment in season 3 or 4, but what I can tell you without spoilers is that the quality of the show continues to improve and currently the show has moved up a gear and is in just one of the best runs of episodes i've ever witnessed. It's up there with the very best shows, but has probably surpassed them all in terms of a hot streak. Just awesome stuff. I'd like to talk more about it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha wow i gave up trying to promote it on TSR after the tremendous lack of response to this thread lol - glad theres someone else!

I watched upto the end of season 4 - I better get started on season 5 then - downloading now... lol

nb. i still rank breaking bad as the best show ever - do u watch that?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found mad men really slow and not much happening with it. I stuck with it, and tbh I am enjoying it now.
    Mad Men isone of those shows that you either get or don't get or you need to stick to, to appreciate it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Haha wow i gave up trying to promote it on TSR after the tremendous lack of response to this thread lol - glad theres someone else!

I watched upto the end of season 4 - I better get started on season 5 then - downloading now... lol

nb. i still rank breaking bad as the best show ever - do u watch that?
    Yes and it would certainly be in contention for best show i've ever seen
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The show is definitely up their with the best. Glad to see there's at least some people around here that like it. :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    This has become my favourite show of all time, I don't think there has been an episode that I have found in the slightest bit boring, which never happens.
    And Pete Campbell is one of the best characters in any show, ever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dothestrand)
    This has become my favourite show of all time, I don't think there has been an episode that I have found in the slightest bit boring, which never happens.
    And Pete Campbell is one of the best characters in any show, ever.

pete's certainly had some wonderful moments this season. and some fantastic brief exchanges, like this one:

http://http://thatisawesome.co/post/22599451704/the-greatest-exchange-in-mad-men-history-happened

I just kinda hope he makes it though this season. there's been a lot of morbid foreshadowing going on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position as the OP lol. I watched the first 2 series in one week
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm a mad man.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I've seen one episode and it seemed boring to me. I'm just not a fan of advertisement/the sixties in America.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just started watching it today, not sure why I suddenly felt the need but I'm glad I did! Limiting myself to one episode a day or I will have no life left
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    Meh, I've seen one episode and it seemed boring to me. I'm just not a fan of advertisement/the sixties in America.
    Like most dramas, you don't have to have any interest in the subject matter. Does anyone in the world have a curious interest in 'life on a quiet suburban australian street' - no, but a lot of people watch Neighbours. It just happens that with Mad Men you probably need either a slightly longer concentration span or a little patience. That said, I knew I was going to watch the whole season after 2 episodes, so maybe it's just not for you.

A shame because the sixties was a fascinating time. Moon landings, terrible assassinations, amazing music, wars, civil unrest... it has it all in spades
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    pete's certainly had some wonderful moments this season. and some fantastic brief exchanges, like this one:

http://http://thatisawesome.co/post/22599451704/the-greatest-exchange-in-mad-men-history-happened

I just kinda hope he makes it though this season. there's been a lot of morbid foreshadowing going on
    Hmm. That makes me think - an attempted suicide would be considerably more interesting than flat out killing him off. It would be cool to see how the characters would react to that, especially Roger.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB525
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're one of the 5 people who haven't seen Game of Thrones then I suggest you check that out as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    Like most dramas, you don't have to have any interest in the subject matter. Does anyone in the world have a curious interest in 'life on a quiet suburban australian street' - no, but a lot of people watch Neighbours. It just happens that with Mad Men you probably need either a slightly longer concentration span or a little patience. That said, I knew I was going to watch the whole season after 2 episodes, so maybe it's just not for you.

A shame because the sixties was a fascinating time. Moon landings, terrible assassinations, amazing music, wars, civil unrest... it has it all in spades
    If I made myself to watch it I'd probably like it (considering all the good reviews), but I don't have time to watch things that I wouldn't absolutely adore. When I'm not REALLY into a show, I usually forget to tune in to the new series (like I never started the new series of Damages, True Blood, Gossip Girl...) So I prefer not to watch it at all.
    Hope that answers it more coherently.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyPsy)
    Hmm. That makes me think - an attempted suicide would be considerably more interesting than flat out killing him off. It would be cool to see how the characters would react to that, especially Roger.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MB525
    He's the obvious choice for somesort of death story-line, what with his current situation of being trapped in a marriage he wants out of, with a wife that can't have kids, in a home subsidised by her parents, in a job for which he doesn't get the respect he feels he deserves, coming to terms with getting old, having been rejected by Mrs Dawes etc etc. He's just learned to drive, something he told us is pointless in Manhattan. I reckon he going to go off his head, drive his car through the wall of the Dawes home and take out that gun he's got, shoot Howard Dawes in the head and then possibly kill himself. I also reckon Michael Ginsberg is going to get drafted to vietnam.

But second guessing Mad Men is practically impossible and pointless.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think Ginsberg would be drafted? I would find that really odd considering we've hardly got to know him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    because we're approaching the peak involvement in the vietnam war and nobody has been drafted yet, save for Greg and that was his choice. Surely someone, somehwere along the way is going to get drafted and nobody else fits the bill. They're all old and married etc. It wont be the first time they've given us a glimpse of a fascinating character then done away with them - see Salvatore.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another tremendous episode and this week Chekov's gun appears to have swung round to be pointing square at Layne, whose existence appears to be fairly miserable. Makes a nice change from Pete, and since he appears to do moreoless the same job as the ginger sex robot then his grip of a lasting place in SCDP and Mad Men may be about to be permanently loosened.

Loved Kinsey's appearence as a Hare and his terrible script 'The Negron Complex' lol. I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up somewhere in season six, writing for a show less prestigious than star trek, or is a scientologist or something.

Scene with Don and Joan was great, as was Joans smashing the airplane of the desk and THERE'S AN AIRPLANE HERE TO SEE YOU SURPRISE!!!

More foreshadowing with some defiinite misdirection re. Don being drunk in charge of a powerful car, which they just turned into an opportunity to show Don powering along, interpret how you will. There's been so much death/car talk this season and with the foreshadowing, you do wonder if someone will perish in an accident.

Three episodes to go. What's this all leading up to. I have a feeling that loads may happen in the last one or two episodes. I think we may see a number of these stories play out and almost certainly we'll lose one or two characters.

And of course, will Don start screwing other women again or will he not. He's probably got the furthest to fall of all the characters, certainly in terms of what he represents. Be funny to see him as a hobo.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 21, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.