Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Ask An American" Thread

Announcements Posted on
Make a difference in the community and greet new people - join the Welcome Squad! 22-10-2014
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    This is probably a silly question: is the Gettysberg Address really as important as all the films make it out to be?
    Really depends on who you ask. There are so many Americans, and if you ask, some people might not even know what the Gettysberg Address is.

But for those of us Americans who know our history, it is probably one of the most famous speeches in US history. Mainly because it occurred during the bloodiest war on US soil, and because of it's short, down-to-earth style that Lincoln used. So yea, it's a pretty big deal. Like the MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Why do American girls love my London accent?
    Don't question it. Go with the flow. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowBob)
    Can international students do Med after pre-med? Because I heard they only accept locals and green card holders in to their med programs, is that true?
    Thanks in Advance.
    That's a really good question, and it's one I can't answer for sure as I've studied primarily the Humanities and Social Sciences... try writing to an international advisor at one of the many schools in the US that offers such a program.

I would have trouble believing that is true considering the high number of internationals that study Med at our unis. It's a large number, and I highly doubt many of them have green cards.

Hope that helps a bit! Ask around: our schools are typically very friendly to internationals...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ququ-pops)
    Thank man
    If you don't mind me asking what did you get in SAT and also which schools did you get accepted?
    Do people in the three colleges I mentioned party a lot?
    How's it like having a room mate? And do you have any bad experiences?
    I am most likely going to need financial aid, how much is that goin to be much of a disadvantage ( especially stanford since they are need based for international students )
    Well I don't remember my score exactly because I took it right when I got into secondary school and didn't take it again before college. My circumstances were a little unique in that I got a merit-based scholarship to attend a small, regional school free for two years based on my high school grades. After that, I applied to a Yale, along with a couple other public schools. I ended up going to a school called Frostburg State University. It doesn't have a very good reputation, and I could've gone about anywhere else. But they accepted all of my credits from my first two years, and offered me scholarships which covered my tuition completely. So it was more financial as I am paying my own way through school.

In your case, talk to some of the international advisors at your school (just write to the admissions office of any of the unis you want to attend), they are typically very efficient (Americans tend to be much quicker in replying than Europeans), and you would probably get many answers to your questions.

I think you should be in a good position for scholarships. There are lots out there, just takes some time to find them.

Good luck! America is lots of fun.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    1. Which of the Presidential candidates do you support?
    2. What is your favourite country in the world? (You don't have to be modest if it's USA)
    3. Where did you study?
    4. Do you like your cuisine?
    5. Do you like living in USA?
    6. What are your favourite sports?
    7. What do you think about the war in Afghanistan?
    8. What's your favourite film?
    9. What's your favourite music artist/band?
    10. What's your favourite piece of music?
    Oh this is fun! Ten great questions!

1. I'm actually not sure yet. I'm an independent, and find our political system to be a bit messed up right now. I voted for Obama in 2008, but he hasn't done too well in my opinion. I like how Ron Paul sounds, but I'm more of a left-leaning moderate and have trouble supporting any Republican.

2. I think Norway is my favorite country, and London is my favorite city. I love America, but have a fascination with European culture.

3. I am finishing my last semester at Frostburg State University, it's a small public school in the mountains of Maryland.

4. American cuisine is every cuisine in the world, just Americanized =). You can find any food you want here; the ethnic food scene is very diverse. Myself, I prefer Indian food.

5. America is huge and absolutely gorgeous... I really like nature and the outdoors, and there is so much wilderness left to explore here. But I'm a restless spirit, and always need to travel! I love traveling in Europe; the UK being one of my favorite countries.

6. I'm not athletically inclined, really, so formal sports were never to good for me. I've always been a music guy. But I love cycling and hiking and backpacking. I just like being in the outdoors. To watch, I definitely prefer American football... it's what I've grown up with.

7. It needs to end. America needs to stop trying to solve all the problems we think exist in the world. We've wasted billions of dollars and thousands of lives. Most Americans disapprove of the war, too (in most poles, the war stands at about 60-70% of Americans wanting out).

8. "Big Fish" or "The Tree of Life" (I saw the Tree of Life in France after it won Cannes last year).

9. I have too many to name... but probably either the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, or Arcade Fire.

10. "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4INBOW)
    Are you a cowboy?
    Hahaha... I could be .
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ListenerFriendly)
    Oh this is fun! Ten great questions!

1. I'm actually not sure yet. I'm an independent, and find our political system to be a bit messed up right now. I voted for Obama in 2008, but he hasn't done too well in my opinion. I like how Ron Paul sounds, but I'm more of a left-leaning moderate and have trouble supporting any Republican.

2. I think Norway is my favorite country, and London is my favorite city. I love America, but have a fascination with European culture.

3. I am finishing my last semester at Frostburg State University, it's a small public school in the mountains of Maryland.

4. American cuisine is every cuisine in the world, just Americanized =). You can find any food you want here; the ethnic food scene is very diverse. Myself, I prefer Indian food.

5. America is huge and absolutely gorgeous... I really like nature and the outdoors, and there is so much wilderness left to explore here. But I'm a restless spirit, and always need to travel! I love traveling in Europe; the UK being one of my favorite countries.

6. I'm not athletically inclined, really, so formal sports were never to good for me. I've always been a music guy. But I love cycling and hiking and backpacking. I just like being in the outdoors. To watch, I definitely prefer American football... it's what I've grown up with.

7. It needs to end. America needs to stop trying to solve all the problems we think exist in the world. We've wasted billions of dollars and thousands of lives. Most Americans disapprove of the war, too (in most poles, the war stands at about 60-70% of Americans wanting out).

8. "Big Fish" or "The Tree of Life" (I saw the Tree of Life in France after it won Cannes last year).

9. I have too many to name... but probably either the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, or Arcade Fire.

10. "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens
    You and I have a lot in common
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    this thread seems to be very popular... but I have a few questions, if you don't mind :P

1. Have you visited england quite a bit/ not just london tourist spots? if so (and even if not), what strikes you as being the biggest differences between here and the USA? did anything surprise you?
    2. I've heard that generally in America, the cost of living and housing is cheaper. Do you think this is true?
    3. (from your experience, and not trying to be offensive), are there really as many dumb americans as we brits think there are? :P
    EDIT: GINGERS! do americans hate gingers as much as brits do?!
    Hahaha... great questions =).

1. I lived in Limerick, Ireland, so I spent most of my time in Ireland, but visited the UK quite a bit. I plan on moving back to the UK in the fall to do my Masters degree. I spent most of my time in London and in a few smaller towns around London. I love the British Isles, and the British attitude in general. In general, I think I was most surprised by how many different accents there were (there are more different dialects in the UK than the entire US, which is a linguistic fact). That confused me a little. I was actually mostly surprised by how much American culture was in the UK... music, movies, and all. That surprised me. Because I prefer the British television. But that's just me.

2. Well, certain areas (like San Francisco) have a very high cost of living. But, in general, the US is much, much cheaper. Houses cost less. Food costs less. Beer costs less. I guess that's why a lot of Londoners fly to NYC to shop.

3. I think the US and the UK's intelligence ratio is pretty similar. America is so huge... there are lots of smart people, and lots of stupid people. Maybe our stupid people just talk more :P?

Gingers... I don't recall hating gingers... but maybe, I think it is a matter of personal taste. I'm blond... so no problems here =).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    You and I have a lot in common
    Hahaha! So now you should answer those questions pertaining to you, just to keep it balance :P...
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been to 'Cracker day'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlNextDoor)
    Have you ever been to 'Cracker day'?
    Hahaha... no. I find other ways of entertaining myself :P...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ListenerFriendly)
    In your case, talk to some of the international advisors at your school (just write to the admissions office of any of the unis you want to attend), they are typically very efficient (Americans tend to be much quicker in replying than Europeans), and you would probably get many answers to your questions.
    As an American who usually touts the superiority of the British education system, I have to agree with this. I can't even begin to say how many times I have attempted to e-mail anyone associated with a British university only to be met with:

"I am on annual/holiday leave until the [insert arbitrary date here] and will answer your email after this date if I can spare an iota of my oh-so-precious time." :smug:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    can you tell me what a twinkie is? Also could you explain this base thing in relationships (e.g i got to first base with her), i see it on movies and have no idea what thy are on about.

thanks
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    How often do you eat a takeaway?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Kant Spall)
    As an American who usually touts the superiority of the British education system, I have to agree with this. I can't even begin to say how many times I have attempted to e-mail anyone associated with a British university only to be met with:

"I am on annual/holiday leave until the [insert arbitrary date here] and will answer your email after this date if I can spare an iota of my oh-so-precious time." :smug:
    Hahaha!! Too true! I certainly prefer the UK's educational system, but have to say that the "laid back" attitude makes getting things done a tad difficult hahaha!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermione_moo)
    can you tell me what a twinkie is? Also could you explain this base thing in relationships (e.g i got to first base with her), i see it on movies and have no idea what thy are on about.

thanks
    Twinkies... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie
    They're majorly gross. I don't recommend them. =)

Bases... it's code for how intimate you were. 1st: Kissing, 2nd: All touchy, 3rd: Oral, or some equivalent, Home: Under the covers...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    do you really always use those red beer cups at house parties?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlNextDoor)
    How often do you eat a takeaway?
    To be honest, I never really eat out too much. We have this place called "Panera Bread" which is like a coffee-house/bakery/deli sort of thing that makes the best sandwiches. I like that. And Subway is pretty good sometimes... also I like good Tex-Mex... but I don't eat out too much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suggsina)
    do you really always use those red beer cups at house parties?
    Hahaha... yes. But I'm not much of a partier, to be honest. Never really got into beer pong. Cheap American beer isn't my forte. =)... I prefer Stout, or Real Ales...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the general American attitude to Football (Soccer), Rugby and Cricket?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.