Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Ask An American" Thread

Announcements Posted on
Make a difference in the community and greet new people - join the Welcome Squad! 22-10-2014
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey friends!

I've noticed a lot of threads about particular questions regarding American culture, areas to study, stuff to do, how people perceive Brits, etc...

I'm an American whose done a lot of travel in the States as well as internationally... I'd love to answer any questions if I could help! I can't tell you anything about specific schools, but anything about Americans, culture, getting around, stuff to do, etc...

Ask.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey man!

The US is very diverse, and you'll meet so many different types of people everywhere you go. There's tons of stereotypes about Americans, but only a few hold true across the board.

It's true that there is still a perceivable difference between the number of whites and blacks in the middle class, but you'll find American colleges to be diverse and pretty liberal and race isn't an issue like it might have been 60 years ago. We have an African American president, too. As for Islam, it really depends on who you talk to and where you're at. At a college, people could probably care less what religion you are as most universities tend to be skeptical when it comes to religion. With my travels through Europe, I actually found more people to be threatened by muslims than in most American cities. But that's my perception. Just be who you are. America is big enough that you'll definitely find the right group to fit in with.

SATs... there are different types of test books. That's how I prepared... the tests aren't that much fun. But you can retake them if you're not happy with the score. I don't have any specific advice on that, but good luck! Maybe pick up a different book, there are some good ones out there.

As for close-knit, it depends on the Uni. Most schools with good sports teams tend to be pretty supportive of their teams, and I think there is a sense of pride about what school you attend. I am not sure if it is all that different from the States, though.

For the Ivy's, I think as an international student you stand a pretty good chance, especially being (no offense intended) an ethnic minority. American uni's are obsessed with diversity at the moment, and scholarship opportunities are there for the taking. I applied to a few Ivy's and was accepted, but I ended up going where I got the financial assistance to pay my way through school (smaller, public universities). Understand that schools in the US are really pricy. Sometimes, a well regarded public university means as much to an employer as an Ivy. Certainly, Yale and the others are extraordinary and known for academic excellence, but research lots of schools.

You'll love America! It's big, diverse, and a bit quirky! Take full advantage of the opportunity... it's a great chance to see the world!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I think I just have one question which is what's an average american's reaction to a British person?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do American schools actually go mad for the football or basketball teams like they do in the movies and TV shows :L I have been wondering this for so long oh and does every kid want to be 'popular'?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you call trousers pants?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do American girls love my London accent?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do American's understand that the British are the only friends they have in the world?

Also, do the chicks dig the accent as much as films make out?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a semester in the USA , an just wondered if there are any areas I should avoid due to me being homosexual?

Also what do you do about alcohol due to the drinking age being higher?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a silly question: is the Gettysberg Address really as important as all the films make it out to be?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can international students do Med after pre-med? Because I heard they only accept locals and green card holders in to their med programs, is that true?
    Thanks in Advance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank man
    If you don't mind me asking what did you get in SAT and also which schools did you get accepted?
    Do people in the three colleges I mentioned party a lot?
    How's it like having a room mate? And do you have any bad experiences?
    I am most likely going to need financial aid, how much is that goin to be much of a disadvantage ( especially stanford since they are need based for international students )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfish232)
    Hi,

I think I just have one question which is what's an average american's reaction to a British person?
    Aha! The accent. Most Americans love British accents... Of course different people have different reactions, but most will find it to be pretty interesting, and will ask you a lot questions about where you're from, what you do, etc.

I think it goes back to the British Invasion... 60s music and all really changed popular culture. Also, Oxford and Cambridge... people think if you're British, you're automatically more intelligent. Not all of us are like this, of course, and many have a good knowledge of accents, etc. But you'll certainly get some attention.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    Do American schools actually go mad for the football or basketball teams like they do in the movies and TV shows :L I have been wondering this for so long oh and does every kid want to be 'popular'?
    Doesn't every kid want to be popular =) hahaha!

It actually depends on the school. If a school is known for their football team and if they're a "party school," then after a win at a home game you'll see some kids outside burning couches, some guys ripping their shirts and all. Of course, this is only some of the "rowdier" schools... but every school has a few of the crazy ones =).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurentommo)
    Why do you call trousers pants?
    Because we drive on the right side of the road? I don't know... traditionally American English developed a different spelling, grammar, and terminology. Like the boot of the car is called the trunk. We call the letter "z" "zeee" and use it more where some British words use an "S"... there are a lot of small differences. I think originally it was just to give the middle finger to the British monarchy and show we could be more than a colony (with the publication of early US Dictionaries some editors made it a point to differentiate American English from British English)... It's interesting to see the difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Why do American girls love my London accent?
    Well they won't all love your British accent =). But it might be an asset in some contexts! In general, just like being an American abroad (as I got quite a bit of attention in the UK with an American accent), people like anything "foreign" because it seems different and exciting. I think that's a big part of it.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ListenerFriendly)
    Hey friends!

I've noticed a lot of threads about particular questions regarding American culture, areas to study, stuff to do, how people perceive Brits, etc...

I'm an American whose done a lot of travel in the States as well as internationally... I'd love to answer any questions if I could help! I can't tell you anything about specific schools, but anything about Americans, culture, getting around, stuff to do, etc...

Ask.
    1. Which of the Presidential candidates do you support?
    2. What is your favourite country in the world? (You don't have to be modest if it's USA)
    3. Where did you study?
    4. Do you like your cuisine?
    5. Do you like living in USA?
    6. What are your favourite sports?
    7. What do you think about the war in Afghanistan?
    8. What's your favourite film?
    9. What's your favourite music artist/band?
    10. What's your favourite piece of music?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)
    Do American's understand that the British are the only friends they have in the world?

Also, do the chicks dig the accent as much as films make out?
    Hahaha... I think we realize that, yes. The reality is that many Americans are just as opposed to America's interventionist foreign policy as most liberal Europeans are. Just our politicians keep screwing us... no fun.

Everybody's asking about the accent... I think Hollywood over does everything... but the accent will be something you'll get asked about. It might not get you into bed, but it could be a cool icebreaker :P...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swbp)
    I'm doing a semester in the USA , an just wondered if there are any areas I should avoid due to me being homosexual?

Also what do you do about alcohol due to the drinking age being higher?
    Well I'm almost 22, so alcohol age isn't an issue to me. But the bars are really strict, and in the UK/Europe I never get asked for my ID, but in the States its regular. Don't worry, though, colleges are renown for underage drinking and house parties. Just go where the parties are.

Also, nearly ten states have already legalized gay marriage. Homosexuality is usually just an issue with bullies that get on the news and in presidential debates. Not something to worry about. Most places are tolerant, and you won't run into any trouble. Probably make a lot of friends at the Uni's LGBT chapter if you choose to join... usually every school has one.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you a cowboy?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    this thread seems to be very popular... but I have a few questions, if you don't mind :P

1. Have you visited england quite a bit/ not just london tourist spots? if so (and even if not), what strikes you as being the biggest differences between here and the USA? did anything surprise you?
    2. I've heard that generally in America, the cost of living and housing is cheaper. Do you think this is true?
    3. (from your experience, and not trying to be offensive), are there really as many dumb americans as we brits think there are? :P
    EDIT: GINGERS! do americans hate gingers as much as brits do?!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 5, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.