The Student Room Group

Why do people obsess over celebrities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kohler1994
I wouldn't call that obsessed! I have so much respect and admiration for Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol - in the sense that i think he is incredibly talented and I go to see him at any opportunity i get because of this. The person in question goes to the extreme of saying they "love" said celebrities and think that they would do anything to defend/stick up for them.

I might just be assuming that all people with these obsessions are the same and that they all go crazy. Suppose the likes of Justin Bieber, One Direction etc etc are the worst culprits.

Ah they are a lot more annoying. I've listened to sooo much stuff by here over the last few weeks but I don't constantly write status updates going "OMG I LOVE ANNEKE SO MUCH". Although I did have to bite my tongue very very hard when my housemate said she wasn't as good as Rihanna. No rational argument about music to be had with someone who doesn't believe in the existence of anything that hasn't been in the top 40 in the last 6 months."
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It's a form of escapism.

A lesser religion?
Reply 22
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Ah they are a lot more annoying. I've listened to sooo much stuff by here over the last few weeks but I don't constantly write status updates going "OMG I LOVE ANNEKE SO MUCH". Although I did have to bite my tongue very very hard when my housemate said she wasn't as good as Rihanna. No rational argument about music to be had with someone who doesn't believe in the existence of anything that hasn't been in the top 40 in the last 6 months."

Exactly! Most of the top 40 now is manufactured rubbish!

The thing that annoys me the most personally is when people insist on forcing their opinion on you. Also annoys me when they tell you that their favourite celebrity or musician is a "nice person" and that they have a "good personality"... Yes they may well be both of those things but you don't know because you've never met them! The argument i get back is "Yeah, well they tweet nice things so that's how i know that they have a nice personality" :facepalm:
Exactly! Most of the top 40 now is manufactured rubbish!

The thing that annoys me the most personally is when people insist on forcing their opinion on you. Also annoys me when they tell you that their favourite celebrity or musician is a "nice person" and that they have a "good personality"... Yes they may well be both of those things but you don't know because you've never met them! The argument i get back is "Yeah, well they tweet nice things so that's how i know that they have a nice personality" :facepalm:

Hmmm to be fair Anneke seems absolutely lovely from interviews and things, and from others who met her, can't judge that 100% though.

I don't try and force my opinions on others per se, but I get annoyed when people aren't open minded enough to give things I do show them a go without dismissing them out of hand before I even play it. Which does happen a fair bit.
Reply 24
Hmmm to be fair Anneke seems absolutely lovely from interviews and things, and from others who met her, can't judge that 100% though.

I don't try and force my opinions on others per se, but I get annoyed when people aren't open minded enough to give things I do show them a go without dismissing them out of hand before I even play it. Which does happen a fair bit.

Yeah they seem to be nice people but like you said, you can't say 100%. The really famous people could more than likely just be putting that on for the cameras. Lots of them give to charity which again could just be simply to make themselves look good. I'm sure most of the time it is genuine but you can't say that with absolute certainty.

I'm with you on the second point. If they listen to it and don't like it then fair enough, each to their own. But when people outright refuse to listen to things because it isn't in the top 40 or isn't "their type of music". You really don't know till you give it a listen. Curiosity is killing me now with Anneke Van Giersbergen... Going to go give her a listen if i can find it :smile:
Original post by Becca94
because jkljl;jligttyfgiui.

Was there a spider on your keyboard?
Yeah they seem to be nice people but like you said, you can't say 100%. The really famous people could more than likely just be putting that on for the cameras. Lots of them give to charity which again could just be simply to make themselves look good. I'm sure most of the time it is genuine but you can't say that with absolute certainty.

I'm with you on the second point. If they listen to it and don't like it then fair enough, each to their own. But when people outright refuse to listen to things because it isn't in the top 40 or isn't "their type of music". You really don't know till you give it a listen. Curiosity is killing me now with Anneke Van Giersbergen... Going to go give her a listen if i can find it :smile:

She's done so much different stuff I'm not sure what to recomend lol.

The gathering - herbal movement
the gathering - strange machines
anneke van giersbergen - I wake up
agua de annique - sunken soldiers ball.

The Gathering literally changed my life, in terms of music anyway. If it weren't for them I would never really have got out of just listening to metal and classic rock all the time.
It's a form of escapism.

This. I admit I can get a bit obsessed with celebs sometimes. For example, listening, singing along and dancing to Rihanna's music lifts my mood and is definitely a good form of escapism, as well as taking inspiration from her makeup and hairstyles and fashion in order to improve myself and look good like her. I'm the same with many other different celebs too. I have a very mundane life as well so it's quite intriguing to live vicariously through others who are successful and inspiring.

Some people will think this is sad and pathetic or whatever, but meh, if it's not hurting anyone then what does it matter to anyone?
tell that to the americans and they are going to boob your country...even though this starts to happen also in european countries. but americans seriously they are over the top with celebrities.i mean even the old people with children etc,not to mention examples like bieber and stuff that can really make me mad.. i heard somewhere that bieber made in 2011 ,53 milions dollars,i mean what the ****?? he isnt that talented,he isnt that good looking,he isnt anything special..and this example goes also to many other examples.
Reply 29
because they have too much time on their hands. Way too much time
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
This. I admit I can get a bit obsessed with celebs sometimes. For example, listening, singing along and dancing to Rihanna's music lifts my mood and is definitely a good form of escapism, as well as taking inspiration from her makeup and hairstyles and fashion in order to improve myself and look good like her. I'm the same with many other different celebs too. I have a very mundane life as well so it's quite intriguing to live vicariously through others who are successful and inspiring.

Some people will think this is sad and pathetic or whatever, but meh, if it's not hurting anyone then what does it matter to anyone?

Nah escapism isn't a bad thing, everyone does in one form or another. It's just we take it too far sometimes, for example when celeb gossip becomes headline news and that's all people talk about despite there being far more important things in the world that need out attention. But hay that's human nature I suppose.
Nah escapism isn't a bad thing, everyone does in one form or another. It's just we take it too far sometimes, for example when celeb gossip becomes headline news and that's all people talk about despite there being far more important things in the world that need out attention. But hay that's human nature I suppose.

Good point. I personally give generally equal attention to all types of news, both the important and not so important types. Though, I think some of the stories you get on the Daily Mail website for example are quite pathetic, for example when they run a whole article on a female celebrity who's gone out running without makeup on (oh shock horror :rolleyes:), or when some dead celeb's daughter's husband's brother is reported a member of the KKK or something (like, so what? haha). Those are just kinda waste of space type stories. I think the articles about celeb's outfits are OK though, since I do like looking at nice clothing no matter who it's on.
Reply 32
People should stop staring at the tv and go and do something enjoyable instead.
Reply 33
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Good point. I personally give generally equal attention to all types of news, both the important and not so important types. Though, I think some of the stories you get on the Daily Mail website for example are quite pathetic, for example when they run a whole article on a female celebrity who's gone out running without makeup on (oh shock horror :rolleyes:), or when some dead celeb's daughter's husband's brother is reported a member of the KKK or something (like, so what? haha). Those are just kinda waste of space type stories. I think the articles about celeb's outfits are OK though, since I do like looking at nice clothing no matter who it's on.

So true. That's the point I was making about obsessions. Fair enough if you want to see what their wearing because it looks good and your interested in fashion. I think that's perfectly normal. But the whole thing about them going out without makeup and so on... Think it's far too far that people care. Not really fair on the celebrities either.

She's done so much different stuff I'm not sure what to recomend lol.

The gathering - herbal movement
the gathering - strange machines
anneke van giersbergen - I wake up
agua de annique - sunken soldiers ball.

The Gathering literally changed my life, in terms of music anyway. If it weren't for them I would never really have got out of just listening to metal and classic rock all the time.

Some of it sounds alright. Not the type of music i can listen to all the time.
Because some people are sad and have nothing better to do.
they're own lives are probably boring, they might be insecure with themselves, maybe they aren't confident enough so like to look up to a role model in order to imitate their traits or something stupid like that.
Reply 36
I think with the case of young teenage girls and male idols (like One Direction, Justin Bieber etc) is that those kind of celebrities are not very sexually threatening because they are so removed from the fan's reality. So young girls can explore their first experience of sexuality in relation to the stars but the relationship isn't usually reciprocated, so it takes the pressure off both the fan and the celebrity. I could probably explain this better but I have just woken up!
it depends, if the said celebrity actually does something worthwhile e.g an actress then I can understand why people are obssessed but if it's a celebrity who is a reality-TV star then I don't really understand the obssession.
Reply 38
Original post by pink pineapple
it depends, if the said celebrity actually does something worthwhile e.g an actress then I can understand why people are obssessed but if it's a celebrity who is a reality-TV star then I don't really understand the obssession.

So do you understand why people say things like "OMG, this actress has just left the house without wearing make up." Seems a bit too far. Why bother? They're just people so why should they need to be perfect all the time?
So do you understand why people say things like "OMG, this actress has just left the house without wearing make up." Seems a bit too far. Why bother? They're just people so why should they need to be perfect all the time?

Not as in an over obssession with the daily life but I can understand why people are interested in the jobs of some famous people

Quick Reply

Latest