The Student Room Group

Why do people obsess over celebrities?

Not really sure if this is the right forum to post this in but anyways...

Like the title says, why do people obsess over celebrities? What's the point? There is someone I know who literally goes to the extent of knowing each of her favourite celebrities birthdays and times, to the exact minute. She knows the weight most of them were when they were born etc etc.

Fair enough some of them are talented but obsessing over someone you don't know seems a bit over the top.

Does anyone else agree?

Scroll to see replies

Celebrities are a amazing! What's not to love about them?
Reply 2
because jkljl;jligttyfgiui.
Normally I would be extremely judgemental about people like this, but seeing how obsessed I am with Anneke Van Giersbergen lately I can't really say anything. Still I don't know the facts you were on about in the OP I just know the exact number of days until I am seeing her live.

Then again, she's hardly a celebrity, just a very talented musician who sung for one of my favourite bands, and has done lots of great projects since leaving them. She's not that famous at all, at least not in the UK, where I have never met someone who knew of the gathering, and only someone who had ever heard of her because she was a guest singer on Addicted by The Devin Townsend Project.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
If it's regarding someone talented; I don't see why not. But the amount of talentless 'celebrities' we are bombarded with nowadays is just ridiculous.
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Celebrities are a amazing! What's not to love about them?

Surely that would depend on which celebrities we're talking about?
Becuase they dominate the media and publications like magazines, online articles etc. To be honest, I don't know many that are 'obsessed' with them, unless they're fit they become a popular icon because of their looks :smile:
Reply 7
I have been asking this question for so long :/ Yeah they are talented and some are also good looking but they are only people. Shouldn't you be too busy obsessing over your partner or looking for a partner to obsess over rather than obsessing over someone who doesn't know you and it will only lead to disappointment.
It's a form of escapism.
cuz they are rich
Because they think they're supposed to.
Reply 11
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
Normally I would be extremely judgemental about people like this, but seeing how obsessed I am with Anneke Van Giersbergen lately I can't really say anything. Still I don't know the facts you were on about in the OP I just know the exact number of days until I am seeing her live.

Then again, she's hardly a celebrity, just a very talented musician who sung for one of my favourite bands, and has done lots of great projects since leaving them. She's not that famous at all, at least not in the UK, where I have never met someone who knew of the gathering, and only someone who had ever heard of her because she was a guest singer on Addicted by The Devin Townsend Project.

I wouldn't call that obsessed! I have so much respect and admiration for Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol - in the sense that i think he is incredibly talented and I go to see him at any opportunity i get because of this. The person in question goes to the extreme of saying they "love" said celebrities and think that they would do anything to defend/stick up for them.

I might just be assuming that all people with these obsessions are the same and that they all go crazy. Suppose the likes of Justin Bieber, One Direction etc etc are the worst culprits.
I am not sure if it is obsession but I do tend to following actors, directors, cinematographers, writers etc. whose work I love. It justs helps to look forward to a new book or film, that I know I will like or something to escape from the mundanity of college work by looking into. The good looking ones get extra attention :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I've never obsessed over celebrities. I appreciate some of them because they obviously provide entertainment. But beyond that I really don't give a toss, hence why I'm so bad in quizzes about celebrities and the such...
What mainstream media says goes. You will be interested in this idle gossip, you will buy the Sun, Ok Magazine etc etc, don't worry your little minds about whats actually happening in the world that matters.
Reply 15
Original post by JordanS94
I have been asking this question for so long :/ Yeah they are talented and some are also good looking but they are only people. Shouldn't you be too busy obsessing over your partner or looking for a partner to obsess over rather than obsessing over someone who doesn't know you and it will only lead to disappointment.

Totally agree. Why waste all your energy on someone that ultimately you will probably never meet. They will never really notice or care for you that much.

I understand being desperate to see them live (in the case of musicians/comedians etc) but obsessing over them is a bit too much.
Because not much is going on in their own lives.
It's just living and breathing idolatry and is a part of our nature. It's also a voice for people who don't have one.
Reply 18
Why do people gossip at all?
Reply 19
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people"- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending