The Student Room Group

what do you classify as being fat?

After a discussion at uni, it was surprising how different our views were on what we class as being fat. We know the BMI isn't a very useful tool, neither is dress size as it depends on your build and height etc.

But when you see a person what makes you think 'they are fat'?

On the other hand, where is the line with being too skinny?

Please be sensitive to others views etc, this is just for fun.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fat-when they can't fit through doorways.
Reply 2
If common household objects are in orbit around them, they're probably fat.
Reply 3
When you slap someones belly and it does the mexican wave quite a few times. ( I actually think this a good way to consider if you are fat or not) if it does it about 4 times your are a border line fatty.
Reply 4
When the belly hangs over the belt, or when the side panels of a bra get hidden underneath back-fat.

Being too skinny, I'd say, is when you can see the bones underneath the skin.
(edited 12 years ago)
When you struggle to fit on one seat on the bus without overspill.
when you look at someone and go dayuurrrmmm she be big mayn.
Reply 7
when you have squash people in chairs as you try to get past them in a classroom
Reply 8
Someone who is atleast 27.5 BMI in ratio to their height and appears to be non-muscular or fit unless they look average. But to be really honest? My way of measuring means i don't have to judge people unless they want me to. Fat and Fit, Thin and Fit, regardless is a fit person ect ect, i can't be the one to judge others lifestyles.
When you can't wear heels no more due to having cankles, or your LBD due to bulges.
When you mistake them for a rhino.
Reply 11
Any sort of flaps that shouldent be there is fat I guess. Fat is more than someone thats just podgy.
Reply 12
When you weigh more than the fridge.
myself :cry2:
Is difficult to say really, It would depend entirely on the girl or person whether I would class them as fat or skinny, given pictures I would be able to say but just sizes whether it be clothes size or body measurements I wouldn't really be able to tell but would still be able to give clothes sizes which I would class as fat or skinny
Reply 15
When you start having those rolls of flab..
This:
Fat is when one is large enough to have their own post code.

Or sweat mayonnaise.

A person can call themselves fat when they are on both sides of the family.

You're fat when it takes a year to print your christmas photos.

Or when you're mistaken for a taxi when you wear yellow.
Original post by lyrical_lie
myself :cry2:

Mmmm sexay :sexface:
That's very subjective. It depends on the person. There are people that look/are heavy and look absolutely stunning and there are skinny people that look ill. That being said, there are also heavier people that look bad and there are skinny people that are gorgeous. So, it depends on the person, really.

If the person looks good, regardless of their weigh, do you still need to class them as fat or slim?

Quick Reply

Latest