The Student Room Group

Has uni made home-life unbearable for you? I hate being treated like a child

My mother is a very insecure woman, and I've always had a difficult relationship with her. her mood-swings are terribly, she's a bully and nag towards my father, and yet we are despite that, incredibly close. Whereas my father and sister can be somewhat withdrawn, apathetic even, I am the one my mum talks to.

Still, I'm at uni now, I've tasted independence, I've looked after myself and lived on my own terms. Now I'm home I just can't bear being treated like a child. My mother was ranting at me earlier over a small spat my sister and I had. I told her to mind her own business. she said, that as my mother it was her business. I reminded her that she goes absolutely off the handle if I stick up for my dad on one of her vile rants. This made her furious. She said that I was under her roof, living off her money, so I would abide by her rules. A pretty nasty row ensued, both of us were pretty i now realise, and it ended with her slapping me on the arm.

I now have a red, stinging hand mark on my arm. I feel furious--i am an adult. How dare she hurt me? and how dare she involve herself, so hypocritically, in things that don't concern her? And yet i know that I'm not living totally independently--it's a naive version. I feel guilty that they're funding my degree, living away etc.

How do i deal with this. Have you felt similarly? Has the taste of adulthood that comes with uni made being treated like a child at home unbearable? Or do your parents treat you as equals?

xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a mother like this also who's latest party trick was to throw a porcelain mug at me because I disagreed with her and told her to leave my dad alone. I am also very independent and struggle when she tells me what to do when i am at home. I just try and walk away now and let her get on with it, i find it easier than arguing for hours and getting nothing out of it. Just try and stay calm and walk away or go out to calm down. maybe then she will think about what she is saying also. Hope this helps x
I do find it quite frustrating, the lack of privacy is very irritating, and I'm not allowed to get a job or anything because it messes with my mums IVA. Ugh.
i disowned mine, have to work hard but Independence is worth it. :redface:
Original post by booksnob
Has uni made home-life unbearable for you?

It has yes, but I am working enough of the time for it to not be an issue. When I am at home though I get accused of doing nothing despite being at work 4 out of 5 days a week... mum has no logic but she gives me more money so what can I do?
Reply 5
I feel totally the same. I'm a Pakistani Muslim, and before I left, (heading into 3rd year) my life revolved around studying, cooking, cleaning and babysitting. My idea of a social life was stopping over to Starbucks for a takeaway drink before heading home from college.

Summer, Xmas, Easter and GLWs - I'm expected to come home. I'm making it clear that I'm not coming home for GLWs unless I choose.

My mother and I bicker 24/7. I can't stand being told what to do, when to do it and how to do it. I also hate the fact that I don't have a social life because it's not allowed when I'm not allowed. But when I'm at uni, I have a crazy social life to make up for it.

I find it so stressful being at home!! (sorry I feel like someone has released something inside me) I hate the boring daily life I have at home and I wish I had more freedom. Sadly culture frowns upon Muslim girls having a life so I'm stuck. I've spoken to my older sister (who got married last month) and i have told her that I'm working up the courage to tell my mum that I love wearing sleeveless dresses. It sounds so stupid but it's such a massive thing in our religion. I'm constantly battling with my mum to stake a claim on the independence that I rightfully should have.

*breathes and collapses*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Ps, sorry OP I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. You're right, your mum doesn't have a right to hit you and good for you, sticking up for your dad :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yes, hence the reason I've decided not to go back home :smile:
Kind of - it's just different, constantly being told to tidy up and being told how much I'll change, that I'll stop liking electro music and start liking wine and the countryside and wanting kids one day. Which is kind of an insult to me, because the things I love and hate aren't fads but I've been like that since forever. At uni it's so easy, no one really questions you and you can just do whatever you want and be yourself and that's cool. At home I just feel my parents are on a different wavelength, obviously as there's a ~25 year age gap. I love them and to give them credit they're pretty liberal and easy to get on with, but I can't wait to get back to uni and be independent/live with people my age. And I do see uni as my home now & have done since about November!
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't bother going home for the summer, most I can deal with at home is a couple of days. I love my family but they drive me crackers if I stay around them for too long, and my home just doesn't feel like "home" anymore.
Original post by Anonymous
i disowned mine, have to work hard but Independence is worth it. :redface:

Really? What happened?

Is it possible if you could PM me? I have some things I need to ask you.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I didn't bother going home for the summer, most I can deal with at home is a couple of days. I love my family but they drive me crackers if I stay around them for too long, and my home just doesn't feel like "home" anymore.

Same here, doesn't feel like "home", never did.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
I'm not at uni yet but I'm not being treated the way I deserve, so I'm leaving (for uni) and will not be returning very often.

I am the type of person who likes to keep myself to myself and take care of my own issues without having people judging me and telling me what to do. I also have a massive desire for independence and rebuilding my life so I don't like people telling me what to do...I'd rather have my life on my own terms and if I'm not getting that then I will just leave and keep my distance and go my own way.

That's what I am doing anyway.

EDIT: Also, I hope that 4 years away at university will give me the chance to grow and develop as a person, more than what 19 years living with my parents has given me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Once you get some independence, there's no going back. I often found myself bored ****less and fed up of having to live by someone else's (usually petty) rules whenever I came home from university for the holidays.

And yes, "home" didn't feel like "home" anymore. I felt like I was camping/lodging rather than actually living in my own home, not to mention that the travel between the two places just got tedious even though it wasn't that far. I rarely felt truly settled and got fed up of my life constantly switching contexts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I love my family, but there's 7 of us living in a 3 bedroom house. It'll be so nice just to go out and have my own space. I'm only going about 2 hours from home, so I'll still be in regular contact with them, but we'll probably meet halfway rather than going back home. I'm going to love this independent stuff.
I'm a 2013 Uni applicant so my input to this thread isn't entirely relevant, but I feel I can relate to this.
For quite some time now I have been sick of the house I live in and my parents, and like Dee Leigh says, I have a strong desire to become independent and sort of 'rebuild' myself come university.

Here comes quite a bit of a rant; the reasons why I have had enough:
- I hate being nagged at by my stepmother each and every day; it seems as if I must be the politest person in the world to avoid criticism (this may even be the case for some people with their real mums!)
- No matter how correct a choice of mine may be when surrounding something, my parents still like to follow a philosophy of that their decisions are superior to mine.
- Speaking of my stepmother, I am extremely deterred from inviting anyone around my house as she often can be quite bitchy, and I can imagine her nagging at petty things during my friend's stay. It wouldn't surprise me if some people have a parent/guardian who has a similar effect.
-Continuing the rather personal trend, I have found myself to of been a victim of favouritism. Probably because he's older than me, all of my life my dad has favoured my older brother. My brother didn't try hard at A levels, and got into a less-than-impressive course. Still, my dad likes to talk about him a lot, if there's been any updates related to my brother my dad seems to revel in them (i.e. he has done some measly thing like compiling a mediocre report for his journalism degree, to which my dad bragged to some guests one evening).
Adding to this point that my dad doesn't seem to take an interest in my higher academic aspirations; I feel as if he won't acknowledge any success of mine until I actually get into a relatively high-flying course.... it's like I'm in a dark corner constructing a circuit for a big light, which will turn on with a specific brightness (dependant on results) come results day next year. This unacknowledged academic journey of mine is a strong reason why I crave to be at university. I want see the light shining brightly, instead of faffing around with the theoretical wiring.

All my dad unfortunately seems to be doing is trying to f**king convince me that a few of my top uni choices are too high for me! This infuriates me, how can a parent put a limit on someone's aspirations? I don't have much of a social life, and so have made 'getting into a top uni' as practically my only goal for quite some time.

In essence, I feel my views and choices are founded with as much or arguably more maturity than my parent’s choices. I believe they are often more appropriate, yet more than often they are denounced or automatically overruled by my parents. I hate being in a position where I am more correct in a certain matter or standing than someone in my house, yet I just sit there and reluctantly agree with them to avoid confrontation. All of this crap boils down to me spending 95% of my time in my bedroom where my computer is housed. I prefer to avoid my parents and their irritating habits as much as possible, and I bet others on here do the same.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Halogenation
I'm a 2013 Uni applicant so my input to this thread isn't entirely relevant, but I feel I can relate to this.
For quite some time now I have been sick of the house I live in and my parents, and like Dee Leigh says, I have a strong desire to become independent and sort of 'rebuild' myself come university.

Here comes quite a bit of a rant; the reasons why I have had enough:
- I hate being nagged at by my stepmother each and every day; it seems as if I must be the politest person in the world to avoid criticism (this may even be the case for some people with their real mums!)
- No matter how correct a choice of mine may be when surrounding something, my parents still like to follow a philosophy of that their decisions are superior to mine.
- Speaking of my stepmother, I am extremely deterred from inviting anyone around my house as she often can be quite bitchy, and I can imagine her nagging at petty things during my friend's stay. It wouldn't surprise me if some people have a parent/guardian who has a similar effect.
-Continuing the rather personal trend, I have found myself to of been a victim of favouritism. Probably because he's older than me, all of my life my dad has favoured my older brother. My brother didn't try hard at A levels, and got into a less-than-impressive course. Still, my dad likes to talk about him a lot, if there's been any updates related to my brother my dad seems to revel in them (i.e. he has done some measly thing like compiling a mediocre report for his journalism degree, to which my dad bragged to some guests one evening).
Adding to this point that my dad doesn't seem to take an interest in my higher academic aspirations; I feel as if he won't acknowledge any success of mine until I actually get into a relatively high-flying course.... it's like I'm in a dark corner constructing a circuit for a big light, which will turn on with a specific brightness (dependant on results) come results day next year. This unacknowledged academic journey of mine is a strong reason why I crave to be at university. I want see the light shining brightly, instead of faffing around with the theoretical wiring.

All my dad unfortunately seems to be doing is trying to f**king convince me that a few of my top uni choices are too high for me! This infuriates me, how can a parent put a limit on someone's aspirations? I don't have much of a social life, and so have made 'getting into a top uni' as practically my only goal for quite some time.

In essence, I feel my views and choices are founded with as much or arguably more maturity than my parent’s choices. I believe they are often more appropriate, yet more than often they are denounced or automatically overruled by my parents. I hate being in a position where I am more correct in a certain matter or standing than someone in my house, yet I just sit there and reluctantly agree with them to avoid confrontation. All of this crap boils down to me spending 95% of my time in my bedroom where my computer is housed. I prefer to avoid my parents and their irritating habits as much as possible, and I bet others on here do the same.

Join the club, can't wait to go back to uni, I stay in my room all day for this reason too.
She's still your mother. No matter what, you can never pay her back for what she's done for you. No child can. Mothers are special.
Original post by Mr Advice
She's still your mother. No matter what, you can never pay her back for what she's done for you. No child can. Mothers are special.

My mother is not special. She is never going to be special, she lost the right to be special when she abandoned me.

I wish people would not generalise so much on this forum!
Original post by Marsha2112
Kind of - it's just different, constantly being told to tidy up and being told how much I'll change, that I'll stop liking electro music and start liking wine and the countryside and wanting kids one day. Which is kind of an insult to me, because the things I love and hate aren't fads but I've been like that since forever. At uni it's so easy, no one really questions you and you can just do whatever you want and be yourself and that's cool. At home I just feel my parents are on a different wavelength, obviously as there's a ~25 year age gap. I love them and to give them credit they're pretty liberal and easy to get on with, but I can't wait to get back to uni and be independent/live with people my age. And I do see uni as my home now & have done since about November!

I know what you mean. Uni will be my home from September! :smile:

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Glad to know I'm not :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending