I want to learn C++ ...

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    But what do I download? XD

There's Visual C++, Borlander C++

Is C++ even free? XD

I'm really not sure where I should be looking so advice from your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I cannot use c++, I do know that C++ is free, as it is a programming language, and therefore asking if it is free is like asking whether the Chinese language is free.

Have a look online for tutorials, or there are plenty of books on amazon
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You need to download a C++ compiler.
    The only free ones I know of are gcc, CLang/LLVM and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express. The last one is probably your easiest way to get started if you are running Windows.

However: Why do you want to learn C++ in particular?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You might be better starting off with an easier language to learn, such as C# or Java, and learn the basics behind programming techniques and methodologies.
    That would be my suggestion anyway - finding a beginners guide to Object Oriented programming in, say, Java.

Anyway, good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have worked with C#/C++ for the past three years. And even I still rely on Google to tell me how to do things.

I would recommend starting with something a tad easier, like C#. The two are "similar", in that some things carry over and the context of most things is similar. But I guess comparing the two is like comparing an orange to an apple. The two are both fruit but taste completely different.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    But what do I download? XD

There's Visual C++, Borlander C++

Is C++ even free? XD

I'm really not sure where I should be looking so advice from your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    I think the important question is 'Why?'
    Any reason you want C++ in particular? Or do you just want to learn programming in general? What is your previous experience with computers like?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are two things that one needs in order to begin development in C/C++. The first is a text editor, which is used to write and edit the source code. The other is a compiler, which translates C/C++ code into an executable computer program. However, most developers use an integrated development environment which encapsulates the process of editing, compiling, building and debugging programs.

Suitable for beginners

Quincy 2005 is a rather old but stable C/C++ IDE. It is based around the mingw gcc compiler and is still used by some universities today to teach programming.

Code::Blocks is a more feature-complete mingw based IDE.

Microsoft Visual C++ Express is a free version of Microsoft's commercial compiler and IDE. However, it only implements the original (outdated) version of C, not the new C99 standard, and for that reason it is not recommended.

XCode is Apple's IDE for Macs, iPhones and iPads. It utilises their own CLang/LVLM compiler.

More advanced options

Netbeans fully featured IDE with support for multiple languages and operating systems. It is, however, quick tricky to configure for C/C++ on Windows.

Eclipse is an industry standard development environment.

Recommendations

These are my subjective recommendations:

Coding on Windows
    Quincy is a good starting point for learning the basics and once you have outgrown it there is a fairly straightforward path to Code::Blocks.

Coding on Mac
    XCode should be the default starting point. It offers a great native user interface with a good compiler and all the tools you will need.

Netbeans and Eclipse both offer more features and plugins than the above but can be more complicated to set-up and overwhelming for newcomers.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    You need to download a C++ compiler.
    The only free ones I know of are gcc, CLang/LLVM and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express. The last one is probably your easiest way to get started if you are running Windows.

However: Why do you want to learn C++ in particular?
    (Original post by HazzaBui)
    You might be better starting off with an easier language to learn, such as C# or Java, and learn the basics behind programming techniques and methodologies.
    That would be my suggestion anyway - finding a beginners guide to Object Oriented programming in, say, Java.

Anyway, good luck!
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I think the important question is 'Why?'
    Any reason you want C++ in particular? Or do you just want to learn programming in general? What is your previous experience with computers like?
    Thanks, I have experience with BBC Basic, using that for A level coursework and I thought I may as well move on to other things that may have more applications. I'm starting an engineering course come September and I thought learning C++ might be useful, even then, just for fun because it is object orientated
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigLampshade)
    I have worked with C#/C++ for the past three years. And even I still rely on Google to tell me how to do things.

I would recommend starting with something a tad easier, like C#. The two are "similar", in that some things carry over and the context of most things is similar. But I guess comparing the two is like comparing an orange to an apple. The two are both fruit but taste completely different.
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    There are two things that one needs in order to begin development in C/C++. The first is a text editor, which is used to write and edit the source code. The other is a compiler, which translates C/C++ code into an executable computer program. However, most developers use an integrated development environment which encapsulates the process of editing, compiling, building and debugging programs.

Suitable for beginners

Quincy 2005 is a rather old but stable C/C++ IDE. It is based around the mingw gcc compiler and is still used by some universities today to teach programming.

Code::Blocks is a more feature-complete mingw based IDE.

Microsoft Visual C++ Express is a free version of Microsoft's commercial compiler and IDE. However, it only implements the original (outdated) version of C, not the new C99 standard, and for that reason it is not recommended.

XCode is Apple's IDE for Macs, iPhones and iPads. It utilises their own CLang/LVLM compiler.

More advanced options

Netbeans fully featured IDE with support for multiple languages and operating systems. It is, however, quick tricky to configure for C/C++ on Windows.

Eclipse is an industry standard development environment.

Recommendations

These are my subjective recommendations:

Coding on Windows
    Quincy is a good starting point for learning the basics and once you have outgrown it there is a fairly straightforward path to Code::Blocks.

Coding on Mac
    XCode should be the default starting point. It offers a great native user interface with a good compiler and all the tools you will need.

Netbeans and Eclipse both offer more features and plugins than the above but can be more complicated to set-up and overwhelming for newcomers.
    Thank you both very much for the advice and detailed answer. I'll go with your recommendation and start off with code::blocks and see where I go from there, thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Download an IDE. I'd recommend Eclipse
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Code::Blocks is amazing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend the book Accelerated C++ if you have already had some experience with programming
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    And when you find a good compiler, you should grind through the basic tutorials at cplusplus.com

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.