The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

London 'Blackspeak' and 'Black' Grime/Rap Music

Scroll to see replies

And this doesn't close opportunities for you at all. You just have to speak with a correct etiquette at interviews. End of.
Original post by Bonged.
I wouldn't call the word "wastegash" harmless tbh.
It is tantamount to any word for an undesirable female. :rolleyes: Is the entire English language harmful because words like 'bitch' or '[word beginning with 'c']' are applied to females?

I've yet to be mugged by someone that sounds like prince charles, or indeed even cockney.
I've yet to be mugged; therefore, muggers don't exist. Go to Glasgow, Manchester or Liverpool where there are equivalent crime rates amongst coetaneous persons. If you are mugged by somebody with a strong, locally-concentrated accent, are all persons who possess that accent criminals?

Nope, but most of them were criminals. I witnessed several attacks on teachers, a boy getting hacked with a machete, bought weed off them all the time.. :tongue:
Marked by your disdain of people who speak with this accent, I am certain you do not know even close to 'most' of them to make any valid assertion that they were once criminals. Do not use assumptions to prove your point.

You too are a criminal by the act of purchasing a controlled substance, yet do not speak using slang.

Good question, most were on btecs and I have a feeling were pushed into going because it would keep them off the streets.
An unsubstantiated feeling that is based solely on a prejudice. The overwhelming majority of colleges in inner-city London will have substantial numbers of people who speak using London slang; however, most of these people do not progress into criminals. If you can present evidence of causality, do so.
Peak.
Reply 83
If I had a penny every time someone has made a stupid thread like this I would make Bill Gates look poor.
Original post by sabre2th1
Many Black, Asian and White teenagers**

Why do you care? No-one is forcing it upon you

No, but it is an all-pervading label on young black people. It saddens me that many inner city young black people are not trying to appear different from these types of stereotypes.

Let me put it into perspective:

If the Prime Minister spoke in this type of speech, he would lose all credibility - in fact, he would never have been elected, let alone climbed so high up!
Reply 85
Original post by whyumadtho
It is tantamount to any word for an undesirable female. :rolleyes: Is the entire English language harmful because words like 'bitch' or '[word beginning with 'c']' are applied to females?

I've yet to be mugged; therefore, muggers don't exist. Go to Glasgow, Manchester or Liverpool where there are equivalent crime rates amongst coetaneous persons. If you are mugged by somebody with a strong, locally-concentrated accent, are all persons who possess that accent criminals?

Marked by your disdain of people who speak with this accent, I am certain you do not know even close to 'most' of them to make any valid assertion that they were once criminals. Do not use assumptions to prove your point.

You too are a criminal by the act of purchasing a controlled substance, yet do not speak using slang.

An unsubstantiated feeling that is based solely on a prejudice. The overwhelming majority of colleges in inner-city London will have substantial numbers of people who speak using London slang; however, most of these people do not progress into criminals. If you can present evidence of causality, do so.

hm.. if the vast majority of violent criminals in that area have that particular accent, and it is separate to the naturally occurring dialect of the area, yeah, it indicates criminality.

I'm just explaining where I got my perception. I did witness these things and grew accustomed to regular rioting in lessons. The rioters all spoke with this accent. Interestingly the 5 or so non rioting students did not.

hah, yeah that's true but i don't machete people or mug old ladies so...

it depends how you define criminal. most will have been involved in violent activity by the time they get to college anyway. if these colleges are like how my college was.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bonged.
hm.. if the vast majority of violent criminals in that area have that particular accent, and it is separate to the naturally occurring dialect of the area, yeah, it indicates criminality.
Amongst teenagers in inner-city London, this accent/dialect is salient, yet most teenagers in inner-city London are not criminals.

I'm just explaining where I got my perception. I did witness these things and grew accustomed to regular rioting in lessons. The rioters all spoke with this accent. Interestingly the 5 or so non rioting students did not.
Okay. Most other schools will tell you a different story.

hah, yeah that's true but i don't machete people or mug old ladies so...
You're a criminal.

it depends how you define criminal. most will have been involved in violent activity by the time they get to college anyway. if these colleges are like how my college was.
Most colleges are not like your college. Based on your portrayal of your educational history, and the fact that you are attending such an oh so abhorrent college with all of those horrible, slang-speaking, criminal ethnic minorities, it sounds like you're not too intelligent yourself. Don't try to put yourself on some academic pedestal when you're just as smart as everyone else who attended/attends your school/college.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Amongst teenagers in inner-city London, this accent/dialect is salient, yet most teenagers in inner-city London are not criminals.

Okay. Most other schools will tell you a different story.

You're a criminal.

Most colleges are not like your college. Based on your portrayal of your educational history, and the fact that you are attending such an oh so abhorrent university with all of those horrible, slang-speaking, criminal ethnic minorities, it sounds like you're not too intelligent yourself. Don't try to put yourself on some academic pedestal when you're just as smart as everyone else who attended/attends your school/college.

Not in inner cities.

Lol. And proud! :biggrin:

Most in Britain yes. Dunno about London.

Grades didn't affect your place in the college. You just had to have a certain number of gcses. My university isn't in London.

Don't be racist. Plenty of idiotic whites speak this way also.

Ad hominem, much? Poor show, old bean. :pierre:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Bonged.
Creating a creole in London really doesn't benefit those who speak it. I often quite literally cannot understand people that talk like this, whatever ethnic box they tick.

If I can't, and I grew up in London, do you really think that people at job interviews etc would? And that they would choose someone that speaks London creole rather than someone that speaks coherent English?

Aight, jush fow yu den I’ll talk lyk dis, coz I knw u luv it relly :wink:
Nah bruv, wat bout some English people who dunno wtf a Scottish mandel is saying, you gonna tell scotttish people to change their accent and usage of dialect, nah brav I think not! They kick sht out of ya, tru story. :heart:

Don’t say, something doesn’t have a benefit. Everything always has a benefit.
Poor you, that you can’t understand it, you’ll have very poor prospects for jobs if you find it difficult when people speak in a slightly different way, because you’ve been talk how to speak by the book.

As I’ve mentioned before, we are able to alternate the way we present ourselves when speaking, when it comes to education, jobs etc.

Original post by Politricks
England is a developed country, not a developing country, I think what you're trying to say is that it's inevitable that the English language is going to change over the years as a result of immigration and a change in culture...the day when we hear Prime Ministers say "innit" and find the word "gyaldem" in the Oxford Dictionary :lol:

Nobody's enforcing how one speaks, but those who talk in slang are frowned upon by people who don't understand what they're talking about, also it doesn't give a good impression of somebody, as slang is usually associated with street gangsters and troublesome youth.

However, I do occasionally talk in slang with friends, but I understand why people would frown upon me and my friends for doing so, and I accept that, and I share their concerns despite doing it myself.

Well, everybody conforms to something, people who talk in slang conform to the characteristics of their peers, likewise with people who talk formally, they conform with the rest of society.

No. Saying it is developed, suggests that no more changes can be made. Developing shows it is continuing to change. Even today, there are many differences in the counterparts of England, in how someone will interpret their English.

The older generation and middle class tend to speak Received Pronunciation. The youths and working class tend to speak tend to adopt Estuary English.

England is a large country, there are bound to be differences amongst the people. Even within Scotland, there is a variation of accents. Even in the 16th century, there was a huge difference in the way north and south spoke, compared to today.

Nope I don't share their concerns, it doesn't need to just be gangster talk, and dialect varies from places around England anyways. Someone who is a Londoner may find it difficult to communicate with a Liverpudian. Because of their accents and choice of words. You can’t tell everyone to speak in one way now.

Yes, conforming is functional to a certain extent, but someone shouldn't be degraded for NOT conforming, when not needed to.
Original post by Bonged.
Not in inner cities.
Most teenagers in inner-city London are not criminals.

Most in Britain yes. Dunno about London.
I can assure you that most schools do not have 'riots' where the majority of the class are contributors to the disorder. Perhaps in the bottom-set where the unintelligent reside there would be frequent disruption to the lesson... were you in the bottom-set, or did your school not have a stratified system?

Grades didn't affect your place in the college. You just had to have a certain number of gcses. My university isn't in London.
I meant college. Why did you go to this college if it was so bad? Did you not go to any open days?

Ad hominem, much? Poor show, old bean. :pierre:
Learn what an ad hominem is. I have not attacked your fundamental argument by referring to your qualities, so it is not an ad hominem; if I said, "you're wrong because [insert impertinent personal quality here]", it would be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Most teenagers in inner-city London are not criminals.

I can assure you that most schools do not have 'riots' where the majority of the class are contributors to the disorder. Perhaps in the bottom-set where the unintelligent reside there would be frequent disruption to the lesson... were you in the bottom-set, or did your school not have a stratified system?

I meant college. Why did you go to this college if it was so bad? Did you not go to any open days?

Learn what an ad hominem is. I have not attacked your fundamental argument by referring to your qualities, so it is not an ad hominem; if I said, "you're wrong because [insert impertinent personal quality here]", it would be.

The college? No , btec students and a level students were in the same classes.

It was the only one that I could realistically travel to daily.

:pierre:
Original post by Bonged.
The college? No , btec students and a level students were in the same classes.
What reason do you have to believe most of them will be criminals? How they act around their friends is not indicative of how they act elsewhere. Do you have the same mannerisms around your grandmother, your good friends, and at an interview?

It was the only one that I could realistically travel to daily.
In the whole of London, with its multitude of transport options, you could only find one college?
Reply 92
What reason do you have to believe most of them will be criminals? How they act around their friends is not indicative of how they act elsewhere. Do you have the same mannerisms around your grandmother, your good friends, and at an interview?

In the whole of London, with its multitude of transport options, you could only find one college?

I saw most of them doing aggressive, violent things like fighting amongst each other, attacking teachers, throwing chairs, etc etc. Doesn't really matter if they're lovely chaps in front of their granny.

It was the college that my school fed into. When I went for open day it was a vastly different experience. Because the pupils weren't there. lol.

Doesn't really matter now I got through it and I'm at uni. Out of London. :biggrin:
Original post by Bonged.
I saw most of them doing aggressive, violent things like fighting amongst each other, attacking teachers, throwing chairs, etc etc. Doesn't really matter if they're lovely chaps in front of their granny.
It indicates their deportment varies by situation and completely invalidates your assertions that it indicates their intelligence or propensity to commit criminal acts.
Reply 94
It indicates their deportment varies by situation and completely invalidates your assertions that it indicates their intelligence or propensity to commit criminal acts.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. Witnessing them committing criminal acts does indeed indicate their propensity to commit criminal acts. lol.
Original post by Bonged.
I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. Witnessing them committing criminal acts does indeed indicate their propensity to commit criminal acts. lol.
In the context of how they speak. If their deportment changes by situation, it demonstrates there is not a causal link in respect to speech and behaviour.
What about 'cockney speak' and all the other different forms of slang that exist. I guess they all get a free pass huh? And I seriously doubt you've never heard any other race talk this 'blackspeak' you mention.

Get off your ****ing high horse mate! :rolleyes:
Lol fool.
Reply 98
Peak like mountain for u fam
Original post by Polioz
Peak like mountain for u fam

Peak like Everest...jheez, brap brap skeen.

Latest

Trending

Trending