The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

London 'Blackspeak' and 'Black' Grime/Rap Music

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by whyumadtho
Respond properly.

:biggrin: I'm not going to debate the validity of the word "dench". That's my cut off.
Reply 121
Original post by Azarimanka
I understand it, I just think that the scum are poorly educated. I just feel sorry for them and their future lives in prison.

lol, can confirm I stack more paper then you legally and mans got his grades. certain man are brave ITT but wont speak up to any guys chattin greez on the bus.

I like to think I am Black educated male. Currently studying for my Economics degree that is if I am not working (I'm a part time Junior Broker). Grew up in South London and still live in an estate in Brixton since birth. My favorite genre of music is Grime music. I do speak slang but only when I'm around people my age. Once the suit comes on I speak formally.
Maybe you shouldn't believe what is show so much in British media and try to actually talk to people who speak slang.

Stereotypical but that is what I genuinely feel when I hear people speaking this nonsense. It should be forced out of them. I wonder whether anyone has thought to do a linguistic survey of London knifcrime. I would imagine most of the knife criminals would use this 'dialect' (aka ill educated moron speak)

It should be forced out of them? They know when and when not to speak it.

For example in school I'd speak slang. However when speaking to a Teacher or Superior I would speak formally and with respect, like every single person in the school.

I'd like to see you bringing that survey around my way, things would turn emotional for you.:colone:

@OP your just a prick really. what race someone is doesn't matter. London slang is more of a class thing, not a racial thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Bonged.
:biggrin: I'm not going to debate the validity of the word "dench". That's my cut off.

Yes, it may be a bit silly. But if we were to argue the validity of a hench load of English words throughout the ages you would see a lot of them are dubious.
Reply 123
Original post by -A-M-P-

@OP your just a prick really. what race someone is doesn't matter. London slang is more of a class thing, not a racial thing.

Even though all the middle class and posh kids are getting on it.

Another proof of how langauge evolves. You're also right about the OP, he is a prick.
Reply 124
Original post by dgeorge
O dear

The introduction of an English dialect other than "proper" Oxfordian English among the lower classes!

How AWFUL.

Because this has NEVER occurred in the UK, or anywhere else before!

/Sarcasm

Pick up an English book (Chaucer is a good one) and see if you understand half of the twaddle that's written in there. I'll wait.

Excellent point, I guess this is just the english language evolving in one sense...

The Elites vs The Commoners..
Original post by Bonged.
I read that as, "My indisputably superior opponent, whyumadtho, has again bested me in debate. I must conjure another pathetic excuse to justify my discontinuation instead of nobly accepting my defeat."

:nopity:

Debate the fundamental argument, not the examples used to instantiate the argument.
Reply 126
I read that as, "My indisputably superior opponent, whyumadtho, has again bested me in debate. I must conjure another pathetic excuse to justify my discontinuation instead of nobly accepting my defeat."

:nopity:

Debate the fundamental argument, not the examples used to instantiate the argument.

lol, really? I read that as whyumadtho has no human contact and is therefore forced to seek it from a person that actively despises them.

Dench. The validity, the legitimacy, the true meaning, let's discuss. :biggrin:

:pierre: :pierre: :pierre:
Original post by Bonged.
lol, really? I read that as whyumadtho has no human contact and is therefore forced to seek it from a person that actively despises them.
Why would a digital entity need human contact? :confused: You know you're my best friend... you're just in denial. :biggrin:

Dench. The validity, the legitimacy, the true meaning, let's discuss. :biggrin:

:pierre: :pierre: :pierre:
It was an example, Bonged. My fundamental point is that the majority of the slang terms used in London were produced in London by Londoners; hence, they are native to Britain.
Reply 128
Why would a digital entity need human contact? :confused: You know you're my best friend... you're just in denial. :biggrin:

It was an example, Bonged. My fundamental point is that the majority of the slang terms used in London were produced in London by Londoners; hence, they are native to Britain.

you need a denching mate.

omg didnt I get it? nooooo! how will i get a job!!
Reply 129
Dench is pretty much just another word of saying Sick or wicked ect

A decent amount of slang we used is from americans btw...

heres a few

copped = buy/bought
bills = 100
bags = 1000
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
No, but it is an all-pervading label on young black people. It saddens me that many inner city young black people are not trying to appear different from these types of stereotypes.

Let me put it into perspective:

If the Prime Minister spoke in this type of speech, he would lose all credibility - in fact, he would never have been elected, let alone climbed so high up!

Blad, thats your problem :cool:
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Who here detests the stereotypical London 'Blackspeak', that stereotypical accent that pervades many black boys and girls in London from about ten years old to their early twenties?

Of course I generalise here, but this irritating accent has now become a signature label for young black people - one can simply hop on a bus at 3.30pm in an area with a large black population and see the groups of young black kids speaking in this low manner with all sorts of slangs and many even playing all of this 'cool' Grime music (mostly dotted with Black 'artists'). (If you can't do this experiment, just watch something like 'My Murder' on BBC 3 or Adulthood/Kidulthood.)

And the Grime/Rap music (British) is also part of this debilitating culture. It further fuels a materialist culture and turns the young peoples' brains into mush. I have a cousin who is being slowly degraded to this low place in life; squandering his money on Nike trainers and his accent has considerably degraded yet he attends a Grammar but it seems to me that he feels the need to be 'Black' (as it were) and he dresses in the 'street' fashion and speaks in such a manner.

Does this culture not degrade the image of young black people?

(Seriously, just hop on a London bus shortly after school closing times and you'll see...)

sw50sw8sw578.gif

Latest

Trending

Trending