The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Nottingham for Computer Science

So Ive got the same offer of ABB from both, and Im trying to decide which to put as my insurance.

Ive visited both and I liked the place and the course at both. I understand that Nottingham has a better reputation than Lancaster, but at the same time Lancaster seems to do better than Nottingham in the league tables.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Its been awhile and no one has responded, so im going to bump my post. I need to make a decision soonish, and at the moment im leaning towards Lancaster. But im worried that it doesn't have as good a reputation as Nottingham, even though it seems to beat Nottingham in most of the League Tables.
Reply 2
I have the EXACT same choice!

I'm swinging towards Nottingham now though. Yes Lancaster is higher in the tables, but those are temporary. Traditionally Nottingham is more prestigious...

BUT it doesn't matter. They're both good, well-respected universities. No employer will find a candidate from each and rank one higher than the other because of which they went to; they are basically equal.

I'm probably choosing Notts simply because I preferred the place -- both the campus and Nottingham itself. After all I'll be spending 3+ years there so I think that's important!

In short if you're leaning towards Lancaster then, so long as the reasons for that are sound, go for it. Weighing up their reputations and rankings is splitting hairs really... and it only took me a good 3 months to come to that conclusion!
What about the University of Derby, would you recommend it for Computer Sciences..? or would that addup to the unemployment statistical list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending