Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How hard is the gym?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    You think people in the gym don't lift weights, increasing the weight they lift each session? What do you think they're doing in there?
    I think hes trying to refer to the whole bar only no weight. But even then i doubt hes been to a proper gym.

Im a good example of this. Squating, i have trouble balencing the bar. Its just my muscles havnt developed in the correct way. So i do a set at low weight with the bar. Then ill do a set with much higher weight but with a rubber/plastic thing that sits on my shoulders and holds the bar for me.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    You think people in the gym don't lift weights, increasing the weight they lift each session? What do you think they're doing in there?

(Original post by BKS)
    I did. My technique is very good. I'm also currently deadlifting less than 30kg to work on an injury

You'll find you get a better work out if you do what you need to do rather than what looks good in front of your bros

(Original post by desijut)
    I currently am, 3 months later i squat more than 100kg and deadlift 130kg, and bench 65kg (considering i was struggling with 50kg before this)

People need to leave their ego to the side when starting this stuff. Funny thing is, the "big muscly guys" at the gym will understand what he is doing to start off with so want be judging as they know everyone starts from somewhere...

(Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Some people have literally no upper body strength and have never lifted in their lives. It was a good piece of advice for a total novice...

Anyway OP, it's as hard or as easy as you make it. Push yourself, but don't injure yourself. Enjoy

(Original post by mikestraws)
    90% of lifters on this forum do it or have done it, not to mention the thousands of people on strength forums all over the world who do it/have done it.
    I just don't think it's realistic to expect the majority of people to do. Here I'll take some do it (though I've never seen anyone) but the thought of seeing someone do it with a clean barbell is funny to me Allthought I completely acknowledge that it's more beneficial
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I just don't think it's realistic to expect the majority of people to do. Here I'll take some do it (though I've never seen anyone) but the thought of seeing someone do it with a clean barbell is funny to me Allthought I completely acknowledge that it's more beneficial
    I choose to believe (or at least hope) the majority people but common sense above looking cool. If cool means lifting a heavy then you aren't going to look cool when you are starting out regardless of what you do because you will be weak. So you might as well do what's best while looking uncool. Plus anyone in the gym who's opinion is worth caring about will realise that you could lift more than 20kg but you are lifting light for rehab or technique practice and they will recognised those as important things
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I choose to believe (or at least hope) the majority people but common sense above looking cool. If cool means lifting a heavy then you aren't going to look cool when you are starting out regardless of what you do because you will be weak. So you might as well do what's best while looking uncool. Plus anyone in the gym who's opinion is worth caring about will realise that you could lift more than 20kg but you are lifting light for rehab or technique practice and they will recognised those as important things
    To be honest it's not about looking cool, it's about looking like a tool.

Omg that rhymed
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yay bought my subscription. start tommorow.

What kind of rep numbers should i be doing btw. I dont what to get huge but more of a lean body stature.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    anyone in the gym who's opinion is worth caring about will realise that you could lift more than 20kg but you are lifting light for rehab or technique practice and they will recognised those as important things

(Original post by 'bob')
    What kind of rep numbers should i be doing btw. I dont what to get huge but more of a lean body stature.
    Lower rep builds strength, higher rep builds size. Getting lean is about diet.

You probably should find a program- google or look here at ones that have been talked about. It'll spell out exactly what exercises you should be doing and for how many reps and sets. I doubt you know enough to design a good program so go for a tried and tested one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Omg that rhymed
    Seriously? You may look stupid for the first few weeks but after that, jaws start to drop... seriously

Look at this:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-r...e-squat-500lb/
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Seriously? You may look stupid for the first few weeks but after that, jaws start to drop... seriously

Look at this:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-r...e-squat-500lb/
    It's probably my insecurities and anxieties in these sort of situations where I end up feeling extremely inferior.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As hard as you want it to be i.e.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's probably my insecurities and anxieties in these sort of situations where I end up feeling extremely inferior.
    I felt like that when i first started, everyone does. But once you go through that very short period you will be better for it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doyouevenlift?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    Doyouevenlift?
    I used to. But stopped going because I hate going there alone. Hopefully I'll start with my friends again on Thursday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to. But stopped going because I hate going there alone. Hopefully I'll start with my friends again on Thursday.
    Do it, and start from the empty bar just to prove my point!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Used to? Aren't you sixteen?

You're implying that you quit at least some time ago (long enough to not be mentioning a time), which implies that you started a good while back. I've never heard of a fourteen/fifteen year old who starts lifting giving up just like that.

Maybe you did and gave up, but it tends to be the ridiculously motivated types, and a very small percentage of the population, that actually start lifting at that age. As such, they don't tend to drop it when they're only sixteen.

Unless you're talking about 'lifting' in the way that people in my school used to talk about it, when they were 16/17, and in the school gym. It was just 'how many chin-ups can you do?' and the one rep max on the Smith machine. The more 'serious' lifters did upper body work, but noone was on a serious lifting program.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deccles)
    Make sure you rest as much as you work out, by having rest days and getting as much sleep as possible then it allows for muscle growth to take place. Make sure the weights you're lifting are actually pushing you as well - so often I see people down the gym doing weights so quickly and easily that they're just trying to make their workout as easy as possible.

I'm in the process of losing a teeny bit of tummy (I'm 33 waist, looking to slim down a wee bit as well), I'd recommend a 5k run on the treadmill for cardio, but if you're slim as it is - then use a rowing machine bro, works the abs, chest - you name it.

If you get too tired of your constant routine then change it every now and then, or, try something like swimming as your cardio activity? Helped me in sustaining my built muscle last summer.

One final thing.
    Heaviest weights possible for you + Fewer reps = Building muscle.
    More manageable weights (still pushing yourself though) + More reps (12 per set) = Toning of muscle. Crucial to get this down to a T. That way you will get your results that you want; and for **** sake don't have any junk food.
    So for someone who's trying to primarily lose fat (while building some muscle) would you say to stick to the lower reps? Then once you have a lot less fat to move on to higher reps to avoid getting bigger and to tone it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol wtf... what kind of an answer did you expect to that??

Getting fit is not easy, otherwise everyone would do it. Simple as that.. if you've got determination and want it bad enough you can do anything, it's all up to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'bob')
    So for someone who's trying to primarily lose fat (while building some muscle) would you say to stick to the lower reps? Then once you have a lot less fat to move on to higher reps to avoid getting bigger and to tone it?
    If you lose fat, you will get the definition you want as long as the muscle is there. Higher reps actually build more muscle, but a beginner strength program is better as you can get to lifting heavier weights at those high reps quicker.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Watching Torchwood and listening to Justin Bieber, whilst sexting. (Or so I assume: I'd hate to have to cancel my membership before I've even gone.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Watching Torchwood and listening to Justin Bieber, whilst sexting. (Or so I assume: I'd hate to have to cancel my membership before I've even gone.)
    Now there's a name that's a bit of a blast from the past. Are you particularly active any more, or are you a little old for public life and only rolled out on special occasions, like the Queen?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Now there's a name that's a bit of a blast from the past. Are you particularly active any more, or are you a little old for public life and only rolled out on special occasions, like the Queen?
    Christ, you've made me look at my join date. You know we've both been here 7 years? :eek:
    It makes me feel kind of sad really. There just aren't many decent forums on the internet. The non-student ones are filled with bored mums that have no grammar.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

Results: how's it going?

Which A-level are you most confident about getting back?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.