Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is York really boring for nightlife?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive had conditional offers from both York (ABB) and Manchester (AAB) and although I'm unsure on which one to go to, I'm swaying towards York. The only thing that's making me unsure is the nightlife. I live 10 minutes away from Manchester so I'm used to there being loads going on, however I did want to go somewhere new, and York seems lovely. Can anyone tell me if theres much going on at York or is it quite boring?

Thankyouuu
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarber2)
    Ive had conditional offers from both York (ABB) and Manchester (AAB) and although I'm unsure on which one to go to, I'm swaying towards York. The only thing that's making me unsure is the nightlife. I live 10 minutes away from Manchester so I'm used to there being loads going on, however I did want to go somewhere new, and York seems lovely. Can anyone tell me if theres much going on at York or is it quite boring?

Thankyouuu
    York is a much smaller city with a much smaller student body and general population than Manchester, as I'm sure you're aware.

As a consequence, York doesn't really have any 'big' clubs. There are a few, such as Tokyo, Salvation, Revolution and a few others, such as Willow which has achieved cult status as a so-bad-it's-good kinda place. There's a few bars too.

If you're also interested in non-drinking nightlife, there are two cinemas in the centre of York, but the big one is out of town and a bit of a pickle to get back from if your film finishes later than 11. Bowling is in the same place, Clifton Moor Retail Centre.

York won't match up to the likes of Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester or Newcastle for the clubbing experience but it'd be a lie to say there's nothing to do. I think students in general suffer from having so much free time it feels like there's nothing to do.

Anything else you'd like to know about the university or the city, feel free to ask.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a similar dilemna. Can I be nosey and ask where you live? I live in Stockport so I'm used to going to town a lot/there always being something to do. I've got an offer to go to uni in Exeter this September or stay here an extra year and reapply to nearer/bigger city uni's next year (long story). Don't think I can really offer you much advice never having been to York, but I'll be interested to see what you decide to do! They're both great uni's so well done on the offers
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really just depends what you're looking for in nightlife. If you want to go to a different club every night, or several clubs on the same night, then obviously look elsewhere.

My average night out in York would be something like so:

- Predrink in halls until about 10 - 10.30pm
    - Walk or taxi into town depending on the weather
    - £1 Jagerbombs in Tiger
    - Somewhere for trebles (between £2.85 and £3.20 depending on where we go)
    - Tokyo/Salvation/Revs depending which night it is
    - Willow if we're in the mood
    - Cheesy chips or other takeaway product of choice
    - Taxi, walk or bus home

There are a lot of pubs and bars, although not all are studenty. I think even in the big cities (certainly true at home in Liverpool) you find your favourite places and stick to them most of the time, so really the only difference is that you have less choice. So nights out in York are good, and importantly cheap - just a little less varied than you'd find in a bigger city. If we get bored of the same places we can mix it up and go to different bars, but I find that as long as you have good people with you, you can have an excellent night no matter where you are. And you always meet people you know - there's always the experience of running into that-guy-from-your-seminars in Tokyo and deciding that you should be BEST FRIENDS.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed York for 2012 entry so you should have a great time.

Seriously though, being a smaller city I would imagine it has fewer and smaller clubs/bars than most student cities but it's probably cheaper and I reckon there's still some good places to go out - at least I hope so!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys

(Original post by 11flon)
    I'm having a similar dilemna. Can I be nosey and ask where you live? I live in Stockport so I'm used to going to town a lot/there always being something to do. I've got an offer to go to uni in Exeter this September or stay here an extra year and reapply to nearer/bigger city uni's next year (long story). Don't think I can really offer you much advice never having been to York, but I'll be interested to see what you decide to do! They're both great uni's so well done on the offers
    Well done on your offers too! I live in Bolton (which I can't wait to get out of) so it's only a quick train ride away from Manchester. I don't think anywhere I go will really compare to the nightlife at Manchester, but I keep thinking I can always come home to that? And Leeds is apparently a quick train ride away from York so going there for a few nights out seems like an easy enough thing to do. I just dont want to be bored haha!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarber2)
    Thanks for the advice guys

Well done on your offers too! I live in Bolton (which I can't wait to get out of) so it's only a quick train ride away from Manchester. I don't think anywhere I go will really compare to the nightlife at Manchester, but I keep thinking I can always come home to that? And Leeds is apparently a quick train ride away from York so going there for a few nights out seems like an easy enough thing to do. I just dont want to be bored haha!
    I've got an offer from York and know first years who are already there and can only really echo what's already been said in this thread really. I love going out and the stuff I've heard about York's nightlife hasnt really put me off because even the best clubs are rubbish if you're with the wrong people. Leeds is apparently about 25 minutes on the train and they run til 5am (i think!) so it's definitely an option. You definitely won't be bored
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't a club goer in York but I know that people made the most of what there was there and that made for a great experience because everyone was in it together. People do go to Leeds for nights out as well as London but it ultimately depends on who you end up with in a group.

I never had many complaints because i wasn't a club goer and I held with people who shared my tastes. People who did enjoy the nights out would make the most of them and enjoy what was there with the people they were with. It's just something you all accept at York. It doesn't really lessen the experience you have.

York does have something for just about everyone but if you're the person who wants to put in a 90/10 split between play/study, you're going to the wrong place. That said, there are places for people like that and they're not at good universities. Not saying that's what you are, it's just to say that at York, you'll find your balance one way or another just depending on the type of person you are.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.