Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job Prospects in IR at St Andrews

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    International Relations sounds like a very interesting major, and I understand St Andrews is tops when it comes to IR, but what actually happens to IR graduates who don't plan on going on immediately to graduate school when they graduate???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're lined up in the quad and shot.

Seriously, there are many routes an IR grad can take. The degree is very sought after. Quite possibly graduate schemes / internships.

When are you going to stop spoon feeding your son, he's the one that should be working out what he wants to do in the future. It sounds like you're doing all the donkey work for him; he's got half a brain if hes good enough for UCLA.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)

Seriously, there are many routes an IR grad can take. The degree is very sought after. Quite possibly graduate schemes / internships.

When are you going to stop spoon feeding your son, he's the one that should be working out what he wants to do in the future. It sounds like you're doing all the donkey work for him; he's got half a brain if hes good enough for UCLA.
    :lolwut:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)

Oxy, you give me hope that there are straight talking, awesome people at St Andrews.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)

Oxy: In reference to your post, I am not asking these questions for HIM. If I am going to spend $160,000 over four years, I want to be sure the investment makes sense, and is worth it. And in any case, he is doing his own research on St Andrews----just not on The Student Room.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floridadad55)
    Oxy: In reference to your post, I am not asking these questions for HIM. If I am going to spend $160,000 over four years, I want to be sure the investment makes sense, and is worth it. And in any case, he is doing his own research on St Andrews----just not on The Student Room.
    He can do a host of things. Is he planning to settle in the UK? if so he can take a law conversion and become a city lawyer, go into consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    He can do a host of things. Is he planning to settle in the UK? if so he can take a law conversion and become a city lawyer, go into consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy...

Tsunami:

Thanks. I know that with a degree from St Andrews in international relations, my son could possibly get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy. I guess my real question is whether it is LIKELY that with a St Andrews degree in international relations, he would indeed get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy.

For example, in the U.S, if you graduate from the Wharton Business School part of the University of Pennsylvania, it would indeed be likely that just about every graduate would get a good corporate job upon graduation.

Does St Andrews have that kind of "Wharton" "power" in the consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy employment marketplace?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floridadad55)
    Tsunami:

Thanks. I know that with a degree from St Andrews in international relations, my son could possibly get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy. I guess my real question is whether it is LIKELY that with a St Andrews degree in international relations, he would indeed get a job in consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy.

For example, in the U.S, if you graduate from the Wharton Business School part of the University of Pennsylvania, it would indeed be likely that just about every graduate would get a good corporate job upon graduation.

Does St Andrews have that kind of "Wharton" "power" in the consultancy/investment banking/diplomacy employment marketplace?
    On the whole St Andrews is regarded as very prestigious. For general consultancy i.e the big 4 accountacy firms (Deloitte, KPMG,etc) then no problem. MBB are slightly more harder to break into and heavily recruit from Oxbridge.

Investment banking, is a similar story, approximately 80% of the yearly intake of analysts at the bulge bracket banks come from Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick. But, its still more then possible from St Andrews, probably just a different intensity and culture there.

For Law, there would be no problems but he would have to do a conversion. I'm not too clued up on diplomacy!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.