The Student Room Group

textbooks recommendation for barts and the london

Hi there, would be glad if any barts students can share any advice on what textbooks to get for barts? Is there any reading list as well?
Reply 1
Hey there
I am a third year barts medic, are you coming to join our happy family next year?

In terms of what a 1st year needs, the only book you will need is Kumar and clarke, It will be pretty much invaluable for PBLs. I personally wouldn't bother buying much more now until you start. Other things i found helpful were wheaters functional histology (doesn't have to be new and you will be able to get this from the library anyway), netters anatomy flash cards and oxford handbook of clinical medicine.

They will probably try and get you to buy Marieb human anatomy and physiology, I managed to get a copy off of my sister as she used it training to be a nurse, but honestly i rarely opened it apart from trying to use it as a reference in essays. I would say don't bother with it.

I do have a few more books which i have accumulated in my time that have been helpful, but honestly you really only need kumar and maybe the netters once you really start. If you need any further help then just ask away.
Reply 2
Original post by vladricketts
Hi there, would be glad if any barts students can share any advice on what textbooks to get for barts? Is there any reading list as well?

Are you a current medical student or doctor? If not, please don't post in here.
When I started at Barts the year before last they sent out a "reading list" which had around 8-10 books on there, the best piece of advice I can give you is not to get any of them just yet.

What would be most beneficial to you is taking advantage of the library for the few first weeks, find out which books you seem to be using the most, and then progress from there.

If you always seem to be using Marieb or Rang and Dale's Pharmacology (in my opinion two of the best books for the first year, especially due to the amount of physiology they cover) then it may be worth investing in them, however if you find you really find Kumar & Clark really useful then it would be worth using that.

The point is that some people prefer using and get more out of some books that others, and to buy the whole reading list (around about £400 worth brand new) then find you have only primarily used two books for the whole of the year would be quite upsetting in the long run, so it would be best to bide your time and buy the books when you know what you need when you need them.

Any more help don't be afraid to PM me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending