The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
You have an unconditional so my guess would be you will get marl/sols because unconditional students get allocated accommodation before conditional students (conditional students make up the majority of applicants).

However in the unlikely circuimstance you don't get marl/sols apparently they offer you something either the same price or lower, they don't offer dearer than you chose.

Oh phew! Thank you for reassuring me. :biggrin:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Nikstar95
Hmmm... I get wat u say but .... I already have a BUCS username and password!!! :biggrin:

So cant I just use that u log in???

I tried logging in but it wont let me is this because my academic year has not started yet!! :confused:

hmmm not sure, it might require you to sign yourself into university when you arrive on your first day before it activates, but I'm not sure, since I didn't try signing up for anything (except the fresher's week pack) before arriving :wink:

Bit early though? Did you get an unconditional offer / defer entry or something?
I needed 1 more piece of advice.

I looked into the list of societies and I'm very keen on joining:

-Shooting
-Squash
-Pool (darts snooker)
-Ultimate frisbee
-Judo/karate

Not so keen but would like to join:
-Table tennis
-Kickboxing
-Rowing
-Cricket
-Archery

So my question is how many of these do u think I can manage myself to fit into???

As in will these take up too much of my time??? Since you took 5 sports up yourself!! How did u manage?? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thankz for all the help :smile: :smile:

Hmmm well it depends on your degree. Mine is lots of work throughout the year, and then barely anything during exams, so I have less time for sports and societies than most.

Additionally, some clubs meet more often than others, for example frisbee is 3 sessions a week, whereas pool is once (maybe twice?) a week. And squash is basically a platform for you to organise your own games with other members during the week, and there's a semester-long tournament, so that's REALLY flexible.

As a general rule of thumb, team sports will meet around 3 times a week (maybe more if you're on the top squads), individual sports like archery / shooting will be 1/2 times a week, and then there's stuff like swimming which is self-organised training with sporadic training days and competitions :smile:

So yeah, what're you going to study?
Reply 243
Original post by Architecture-er
hmmm not sure, it might require you to sign yourself into university when you arrive on your first day before it activates, but I'm not sure, since I didn't try signing up for anything (except the fresher's week pack) before arriving :wink:

Bit early though? Did you get an unconditional offer / defer entry or something?

Yep got an unconditional offer for BBA!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

LOL!! I read a bit about the stuff u can get on freshers day!!! Some pretty weird stuff in there!!! What all did u get from Bath???

And how do I sign up for the freshers pack!!! :smile:

Thankz
Reply 244
Hmmm well it depends on your degree. Mine is lots of work throughout the year, and then barely anything during exams, so I have less time for sports and societies than most.

Additionally, some clubs meet more often than others, for example frisbee is 3 sessions a week, whereas pool is once (maybe twice?) a week. And squash is basically a platform for you to organise your own games with other members during the week, and there's a semester-long tournament, so that's REALLY flexible.

As a general rule of thumb, team sports will meet around 3 times a week (maybe more if you're on the top squads), individual sports like archery / shooting will be 1/2 times a week, and then there's stuff like swimming which is self-organised training with sporadic training days and competitions :smile:

So yeah, what're you going to study?

Well theres no point answering that now (already said it in the other post) but mehhh.... I'm doin BBA!!! U hav any info on that????? :colondollar: anything u know about the placement years???

Hmmmm..... Maybe I'll start out with 2-3 clubs and then see if I have time to do other thingss!!! :biggrin:

Did a bit of research on ultimate frisbee.... seems quite hard :redface: .... especially for me (I dont even think I can throw a frisbee straight :tongue:)

Although pool shooting and Squash are a must for me!!! :smile:

Is the gym free or do we have to pay to use it???

Thankz
Reply 245
Just found out another 3 glaswegians will be going to bath! Maybe we can make a glasgow society lol.

You guys pay £9,000 per year in England right? :smile:
Reply 246
Original post by Organ
You guys pay £9,000 per year in England right? :smile:

+1 if u like smileys!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 247
YEY 4 people in Woodlands Court LOL WOO
Reply 248
Yep. But the experience is worth it i reckon.

Yeah I understand. Bath is a lovely place, and so is Bristol and most of the rest of the South West. Just avoid Swindon.
Reply 249
are they all arranged in flats. Or is this only ensuite accomodation? Are the flats smaller in ensuite accomodation?

thanks
Well theres no point answering that now (already said it in the other post) but mehhh.... I'm doin BBA!!! U hav any info on that????? :colondollar: anything u know about the placement years???

Hmmmm..... Maybe I'll start out with 2-3 clubs and then see if I have time to do other thingss!!! :biggrin:

Did a bit of research on ultimate frisbee.... seems quite hard :redface: .... especially for me (I dont even think I can throw a frisbee straight :tongue:)

Although pool shooting and Squash are a must for me!!! :smile:

Is the gym free or do we have to pay to use it???

Thankz

Ahh ok, had quite an influx of conversations recently, hard to keep track :colondollar:

I actually know a fair bit about BBA's, since you guys are gold-dust in 2nd year, since you have your placement during the first semester, whereas 2nd & 3rd year architects, and BBA2's both have placement in the second semester. In other words, you have 3 year's worth of students looking to share a house contract with 1 year's worth of BBA students :biggrin:
You have to pay to use the gym, I think it's 300 pounds for a year's membership, but it's discounted to something like 220 pounds during fresher's week, so really good value if you can afford it. It's never REALLY busy as well, probably around 75% full whenever I've gone?
Yep got an unconditional offer for BBA!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

LOL!! I read a bit about the stuff u can get on freshers day!!! Some pretty weird stuff in there!!! What all did u get from Bath???

And how do I sign up for the freshers pack!!! :smile:

Thankz

Well if you buy the pack which gives you a pass for the themed nightclub gigs and stuff you'll get a few bits and bobs for your fancy dress costumes, a map, etc etc. Then there's a fresher's fair which hands out bags of freebies, with deodorants, shampoo samples, energy drinks, snacks, etc etc. Pro tip, if you take a rucksack you can put the freebie bag in it, then go get another bag, and another bag, and another :biggrin:

Then you can have deodorant wars!! :evil:

You won't be able to sign up for the fresher's pack until the conditional offers have been confirmed, I'd guess, because then they'll have finished with all the behind-the-scenes prep with ordering merchandise, booking the music acts and so on. So whilst you might be ready, the uni is still scrambling like mad to get everything done, so you'll have to wait for them :biggrin:

When it's available it'll be on the bathstudent website, there'll be a million and one links to those things all over the site :wink:
Original post by Adrian87
are they all arranged in flats. Or is this only ensuite accomodation? Are the flats smaller in ensuite accomodation?

thanks

Depends on the accommodation block. Westwood is arranged in staircases, with one or two rooms on each floor, and a kitchen at the very bottom. Brendon Court, Sols & Marl, Woodland, John Wood and Norwood (I think) are arranged around 'kitchen groups', which are all on one corridor, with a kitchen somewhere along it. The sizes of these groups vary, Sols & Marl are 4/5 people per kitchen group whereas Brendon Court is 10-12 people (but larger kitchens).
Eastwood is arranged into individual houses, but I'm not sure how the interiors are laid out.

Arguably there's more freedom between different groups if you're in a kitchen layout, because with staircases you have to exit the building and then re-enter a different staircase, almost like apartment flats meet terraced houses. In contrast a kitchen layout lets people move up and down interior staircases, and then access each floor without getting outside.

But in short, you only really need to bother about what kind of room (and the quality of room) you're getting, and how many people you want to share a kitchen with :smile:
Reply 253
Ahh ok, had quite an influx of conversations recently, hard to keep track :colondollar:

I actually know a fair bit about BBA's, since you guys are gold-dust in 2nd year, since you have your placement during the first semester, whereas 2nd & 3rd year architects, and BBA2's both have placement in the second semester. In other words, you have 3 year's worth of students looking to share a house contract with 1 year's worth of BBA students :biggrin:
You have to pay to use the gym, I think it's 300 pounds for a year's membership, but it's discounted to something like 220 pounds during fresher's week, so really good value if you can afford it. It's never REALLY busy as well, probably around 75% full whenever I've gone?

LOL!!! sorry did not really follow what u said!!! What are BBA2's ????? And how did architects come in the picture??? And what do u mean by 3:1 thing??? :confused::confused:

Also since u know a lot about BBA can u please help me out with what happens in the course??? I'm looking for info on things like are there projects to be made... how often.... what type of projects.... timings????

Sorry!! :redface:

Hmmm ..... thats quite expensive :eek: !!!! It works up to Rs.2000 per month while over here one of the best gyms charge approx Rs.900-1200 per month + u get 2 months free!!! :smile:

Ahhh will hahve to think about the gym part!!1 :frown:

Thankz for all the help :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 254
Well if you buy the pack which gives you a pass for the themed nightclub gigs and stuff you'll get a few bits and bobs for your fancy dress costumes, a map, etc etc. Then there's a fresher's fair which hands out bags of freebies, with deodorants, shampoo samples, energy drinks, snacks, etc etc. Pro tip, if you take a rucksack you can put the freebie bag in it, then go get another bag, and another bag, and another :biggrin:

Then you can have deodorant wars!! :evil:

You won't be able to sign up for the fresher's pack until the conditional offers have been confirmed, I'd guess, because then they'll have finished with all the behind-the-scenes prep with ordering merchandise, booking the music acts and so on. So whilst you might be ready, the uni is still scrambling like mad to get everything done, so you'll have to wait for them :biggrin:

When it's available it'll be on the bathstudent website, there'll be a million and one links to those things all over the site :wink:

Woooohoooo!!!! Thankz !!! :awesome: I love free stuff especially in a bag!!!

HAHA!!! Are u serious btw becoz I have a rucksack??? :lolwut:

LOL!!! after all the money we pay I guess we... I think thee uni deserves to run around like a chicken!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

:devil3:Deodarant war!!!:evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::mwuaha:

Ahhh crap I hate waiting!!! :huff: they should just start now!!! BTW wen u say register do u mean that I get some kind of a coupon that enables me take a frshers goodie bag??? :smile:

Also I have heard they give out a lot of pizza :eyeball: !!! Wats that all about??
LOL!!! sorry did not really follow what u said!!! What are BBA2's ????? And how did architects come in the picture??? And what do u mean by 3:1 thing??? :confused::confused:

Also since u know a lot about BBA can u please help me out with what happens in the course??? I'm looking for info on things like are there projects to be made... how often.... what type of projects.... timings????

Sorry!! :redface:

Hmmm ..... thats quite expensive :eek: !!!! It works up to Rs.2000 per month while over here one of the best gyms charge approx Rs.900-1200 per month + u get 2 months free!!! :smile:

Ahhh will hahve to think about the gym part!!1 :frown:

Thankz for all the help :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hmm, oops, got away from topic a bit there :colondollar:;

The university year is split into two semesters, Semester 1 and Semester 2. During the first semester the BBA1's (which are 2nd year BBA students) go on placement. During the second semester the BBA2's (3rd year BBA students) AND 2nd and 3rd year architects all go on placement.

Since housing contracts in Bath last 12 months, people who have half-year placements try and find people from the other half to share a contract with, so they only have to pay for half a year's rent. This means that BBA1 students (when you're in 2nd year) are like gold-dust, since there's x3 more students on placement in the other half of the year who are all fighting to find some BBA1's to share a contract with :tongue:

We're currently in this process in Bath now, so as soon as I saw "BBA" that was the only thing I thought of :biggrin:

Unfortunately that's pretty much all I know about the BBA course, but I just wanted to tell you how easy you'll find it to get a house in your 2nd year! :biggrin:

I'm guessing from the "Rs" that you're Indian then? I guess you probably have pretty cheap gyms there, lucky buggers :tongue:
Woooohoooo!!!! Thankz !!! :awesome: I love free stuff especially in a bag!!!

HAHA!!! Are u serious btw becoz I have a rucksack??? :lolwut:

LOL!!! after all the money we pay I guess we... I think thee uni deserves to run around like a chicken!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

:devil3:Deodarant war!!!:evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::mwuaha:

Ahhh crap I hate waiting!!! :huff: they should just start now!!! BTW wen u say register do u mean that I get some kind of a coupon that enables me take a frshers goodie bag??? :smile:

Also I have heard they give out a lot of pizza :eyeball: !!! Wats that all about??

You don't need any coupon for goodie bags if I recall correctly, you just walk up and they give you one. So if you take one, do a short talk around the hall and come back, they'll just give you another (as long as they can't see you carrying one!)

There is free pizza! Unfortunately there's a big crowd of people there, but you can write down your mobile number (just make one up) and they'll give you a free slice of pizza. You can also buy these vouchers for 5 pounds at the fair, then if you take the voucher to their pizza outlet thing you can hand it in to get any pizza you want (which can save you around 9 pounds). It's a bit of a walk to get there though, generally people order deliveries during the year, but it's worth it if a load of you have bought the vouchers and want to binge on pizza :biggrin:
Reply 257
Hmm, oops, got away from topic a bit there :colondollar:;

The university year is split into two semesters, Semester 1 and Semester 2. During the first semester the BBA1's (which are 2nd year BBA students) go on placement. During the second semester the BBA2's (3rd year BBA students) AND 2nd and 3rd year architects all go on placement.

Since housing contracts in Bath last 12 months, people who have half-year placements try and find people from the other half to share a contract with, so they only have to pay for half a year's rent. This means that BBA1 students (when you're in 2nd year) are like gold-dust, since there's x3 more students on placement in the other half of the year who are all fighting to find some BBA1's to share a contract with :tongue:

We're currently in this process in Bath now, so as soon as I saw "BBA" that was the only thing I thought of :biggrin:

Unfortunately that's pretty much all I know about the BBA course, but I just wanted to tell you how easy you'll find it to get a house in your 2nd year! :biggrin:

I'm guessing from the "Rs" that you're Indian then? I guess you probably have pretty cheap gyms there, lucky buggers :tongue:

HAHAHA!!!! Yep I'm Indian!!! although tbh I thought U knew...... bcoz my location was India!! :tongue: :tongue:

Woohooo!!! :awesome: Thats great news!!! :colone: :colone: I guess I can exploit alot of the BBA2 students to help me with my projects ....if they want the contract :evilbanana:

Since u dont know about BBA but u are in the process I'm assuming u are a achitecture student (3rd year) !! :teehee: (ur name says it all)

Yep... we are quite lucky!! Everything is pretty cheap out here (atleast compared to the UK)
Although the INR:GBR exchange rate has gone skyhigh(82.2) So :bawling: :frown:

BTW wats ur real name??? :K: (although if u dont want to disclose it PM me )

Me is Nishchay Bhatt!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (pronounced nee-esh-cha-ye) :p:p
Reply 258
You don't need any coupon for goodie bags if I recall correctly, you just walk up and they give you one. So if you take one, do a short talk around the hall and come back, they'll just give you another (as long as they can't see you carrying one!)

There is free pizza! Unfortunately there's a big crowd of people there, but you can write down your mobile number (just make one up) and they'll give you a free slice of pizza. You can also buy these vouchers for 5 pounds at the fair, then if you take the voucher to their pizza outlet thing you can hand it in to get any pizza you want (which can save you around 9 pounds). It's a bit of a walk to get there though, generally people order deliveries during the year, but it's worth it if a load of you have bought the vouchers and want to binge on pizza :biggrin:

Yesssss!!! Hope thhey have enough of those bcoz the others are gonna need them(bcoz I will take all of them...if u did not understand the joke)!! :tongue:

Hmmmm do these vouchers last beyond freshers week???? Bcoz if they do :banana2::crazy: Pizza for a month :tongue:

Also great business idea!!! Will sell these for 9 pounds.... they save 5 pounds and I earn 4 pounds!! :yep: :rock:
HAHAHA!!!! Yep I'm Indian!!! although tbh I thought U knew...... bcoz my location was India!! :tongue: :tongue:

Woohooo!!! :awesome: Thats great news!!! :colone: :colone: I guess I can exploit alot of the BBA2 students to help me with my projects ....if they want the contract :evilbanana:

Since u dont know about BBA but u are in the process I'm assuming u are a achitecture student (3rd year) !! :teehee: (ur name says it all)

Yep... we are quite lucky!! Everything is pretty cheap out here (atleast compared to the UK)
Although the INR:GBR exchange rate has gone skyhigh(82.2) So :bawling: :frown:

BTW wats ur real name??? :K: (although if u dont want to disclose it PM me )

Me is Nishchay Bhatt!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (pronounced nee-esh-cha-ye) :p:p

I may or may not be a second year architect called Matt :teehee:

I like to be mysterious :ninja:

p.s. I think we took over this thread somewhat :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest