The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
You can only apply for one trust me. The create a new application is for summer school students.

I see. Ok thanks for the tip! much appreciated!
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
You wouldn't even believe how grateful I am to you for making this thread, or indeed even myself for happening to notice it! I'd assumed that applications for accommodation opened in June or something, dodged the bullet this time!
Wonder why bath don't allow "use of" a motor vehicle whilst in halls. Fair enough saying students can't park in campus, but saying the are not allowed use fo a vehicle is a bit harsh.

Just as well that I don't drive then lol.

Don't know if anyone else has replied too lazy to go through the rest of the thread :colondollar: but it's because they have an agreement with the council, it's either something to do with it being a world heritage site or an environmental policy can't remember which, but I think it's one of the conditions of the uni or something. Also I'm at Bath (2nd year Psych) and was in Solsbury court if anyone has any questions :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Flippin-Mad
Don't know if anyone else has replied too lazy to go through the rest of the thread :colondollar: but it's because they have an agreement with the council, it's either something to do with it being a world heritage site or an environmental policy can't remember which, but I think it's one of the conditions of the uni or something. Also I'm at Bath (2nd year Psych) and was in Solsbury court if anyone has any questions :smile:

How far is one end of the campus from the other??

As in I'm planning to stay at Sold/Marl but the School of management is on the other sside of campus so was wondering how big would the walk be???

I'm lazy tooo!!! :tongue:
I've applied to Marls/solsbury aswell! eeekk really hope i get a place there I loved it!
Reply 25
Original post by Nikstar95

As in I'm planning to stay at Sold/Marl but the School of management is on the other sside of campus so was wondering how big would the walk be???

I visited the Uni twice and the campus is pretty small cant imagine it would take any longer than 10 mins to get from one side of the parade to the other.

Im thinking of applying for westwood or norwood. Does anyone have any advice on which is better? Would love an en suite, but think the 15 pounds a week could be spent better elsewhere.

hope this helps

Took me just under 10mins to get from solsbury to 8W (I think that's where management is) and I only have little legs lol so you'd have to be pretty lazy! Also your lecs won't necessarily be in your department, that's where your likely to have to hand in work/have tutorials or whatever but lecturers will be spread around campus so doesn't really matter where you are. The Psych building is right at the bottom of campus diagonally opposite solsbury and still takes less than 15mins so really wouldn't worry about that when picking accommodation...one of the benefits of a small campus!
Reply 27
I'm at Bath (2nd year Psych) and was in Solsbury court if anyone has any questions :smile:

Hi I know your in solsbury but do you have any idea whether westwood or norwood are better. or more social etc. thanks.
Original post by flexwave
I visited the Uni twice and the campus is pretty small cant imagine it would take any longer than 10 mins to get from one side of the parade to the other.

Im thinking of applying for westwood or norwood. Does anyone have any advice on which is better? Would love an en suite, but think the 15 pounds a week could be spent better elsewhere.

hope this helps

Never actually visited anyone in Norwood but I know it's recently been done up and people who have visited/lived there thought it was nice. But one thing to consider is it's right above the parade and SU and people who live their have said that whilst they couldn't hear the SU because it was sound proofed they could hear pretty much everything on parade so people leaving/entering on club nights convos during the day etc which is worth considering, particularly if you're someone who reeally needs their sleep. Also, because it's near the SU I think more people who like going out a lot pick it so you get much less quieter people, whether this is a good or bad thing for you depends on the type of person you are. Westwood is much more old fashioned doesn't look particularly nice but the rooms are big the kitchen's nice enough and there are plenty of showers and loos, most of my friends who lived there said they'd never had to wait to use either, personally I loved having my own ensuite though and it depends entirely who you end up living with i.e. if they're the type of people who are constantly puking up or whatever might not be so pleasant. Tbh though no matter which accommodation you get it's not the end of the world, they all have their pros and cons and I know very few people who were particularly unhappy with their accommodation even when they didn't get their first choice. Neither Norwood or westwood are ensuite, wasn't sure from your post if you meant you'd ruled out the en suite ones orrr that you though Norwood was en suite and that's why you couldn't decide? Hope this helps :smile:.
Hi all, I'm a current Bath student and lived in Marlborough last year.
The ensuite room may seem appealing but bare in mind in second year and beyond you'll have to share a bathroom with others anyway. I didn't think Marlborough (or sols) was worth the extra money and I preferred Westwood and Eastwood by far!
Feel free to ask me any questions
I forgot to say, if you don't get your first choice then you'll be given accommodation within one price band of yours. They'll also downgrade rather than upgrading (there may be exceptions such as my case but very rarely).
Reply 31
Original post by ChelseyElla
Hi all, I'm a current Bath student and lived in Marlborough last year.
The ensuite room may seem appealing but bare in mind in second year and beyond you'll have to share a bathroom with others anyway. I didn't think Marlborough (or sols) was worth the extra money and I preferred Westwood and Eastwood by far!
Feel free to ask me any questions

Hi!

Hoping to be there come september. I was looking at norwood and westwood. are they worth the extra money over eastwood? Also where is the easiest to get to, and the most social. On the map east seems hidden away in the corner.

Thanks
I chose the cheap ass £88 a week room, because I'm poor lol. How bad are they?

Are those the cheaper Eastwood ones? If so I've not actually been in them but I know a couple of people who lived in them and got the impression that they're not really much/any different to normal Eastwood just aren't cleaned for you, and tbh when people know they aren't getting cleaned they are more likely to try and keep the place clean/come up with some kinda agreement about who does what so shouldn't make much difference just a bit more effort, but you'll have to do it yourself in subsequent years anyway not really a big effort :tongue:. Eastwood is pretty run down so doesn't look as nice as some of the newer ones, but has everything you need and is quite sociable and laid out more like house than a flat which is quite nice, soo as long as your not expecting luxury should be fine!
Are those the cheaper Eastwood ones? If so I've not actually been in them but I know a couple of people who lived in them and got the impression that they're not really much/any different to normal Eastwood just aren't cleaned for you, and tbh when people know they aren't getting cleaned they are more likely to try and keep the place clean/come up with some kinda agreement about who does what so shouldn't make much difference just a bit more effort, but you'll have to do it yourself in subsequent years anyway not really a big effort :tongue:. Eastwood is pretty run down so doesn't look as nice as some of the newer ones, but has everything you need and is quite sociable and laid out more like house than a flat which is quite nice, soo as long as your not expecting luxury should be fine!

Meh, I'm sure it'll be a laugh all the same. :dontknow:
Reply 34
Took me just under 10mins to get from solsbury to 8W (I think that's where management is) and I only have little legs lol so you'd have to be pretty lazy! Also your lecs won't necessarily be in your department, that's where your likely to have to hand in work/have tutorials or whatever but lecturers will be spread around campus so doesn't really matter where you are. The Psych building is right at the bottom of campus diagonally opposite solsbury and still takes less than 15mins so really wouldn't worry about that when picking accommodation...one of the benefits of a small campus!

OHHH... thankz for the info.... this was one of the factors that made me think taking Sols/Marl was a bad idea....but now its all cleared !!!!

Thankzz Alot!!! :dance::dance:

BTW one more question what is the concept of a communal kitchen as in is it just cook your own food and get out or ppl cook for each other and have a good time????
Reply 35
Original post by flexwave

hope this helps

It surely did help... Thankzz!!!!

My advice would be go for the ensuite bcoz anyways its only for a year... after that you would have to share your shower again if u move in with friends to a flat or something!!!
Reply 36
When I applied I didn't click on the Save button. I only clicked submit. That's not a problem, is it? :colondollar:
OHHH... thankz for the info.... this was one of the factors that made me think taking Sols/Marl was a bad idea....but now its all cleared !!!!

Thankzz Alot!!! :dance::dance:

BTW one more question what is the concept of a communal kitchen as in is it just cook your own food and get out or ppl cook for each other and have a good time????

It totally depends on the people you end up living with. Some people cook their own food and eat it in the kitchen, some people cook their own and eat in their rooms, other people decide to cook and eat together, some people do all of these depending on day/mood.
Reply 38
Original post by ChelseyElla
It totally depends on the people you end up living with. Some people cook their own food and eat it in the kitchen, some people cook their own and eat in their rooms, other people decide to cook and eat together, some people do all of these depending on day/mood.

OHHHH!!!! Just hope I end up with the right ppl!!! :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by kvvn93
When I applied I didn't click on the Save button. I only clicked submit. That's not a problem, is it? :colondollar:

No its a good thing bcoz if you click submit it saves a copy and sends it to Bath.... if you click save it will just save the copy for you !!!

:biggrin: Hope this helped!!

Quick Reply

Latest