The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath accommodation thread 2012-2013. Poll included (woodland added)!

Poll

Who did you apply for?

Edit: please vote on poll so we can see which type of accommodation is most popular and hence the likelyhood of getting it. (the poll is anonymous)

Thought I'd start a new accommodation thread so the other applicants thread doesn't get swamped. Ask it all in here. :smile:

For those that still haven't applied here's the application page and accommodation pricing is on this page.

Be advised, no one is guaranteed their preference so it's best to get an application in early! Applications open on 02/04/12. For those with a conditional offer this means you will recieve confirmation in August. For those with an unconditional offer, you may recieve comfirmation before August.

Accommodation summary:
A standard contract lasts for 38 weeks, but there are variations to suit exchange students and foundation year students.

Prices include utility bills, connection to our residential network and core possessions insurance.

You can view our accommodation during our open days which are held twice a year.

Accommodation preferences:
Both single-sex and mixed flats are available, please only select single sex if you have a strong preference.

We regret that we cannot guarantee any preferences at any stage regarding your choice of room type or location.

Accessibility
Purpose-built accommodation with ground floor access is available in Brendon Court, Marlborough Court, Solsbury Court and Woodland Court.

If you have any additional requirements beyond our existing provision, you are encouraged to discuss your particular needs with Student Accommodation Services, as special adapations can be arranged to suit your needs.

Cars and parking
It is a condition of residence in university halls that students do not have the use of, or keep a motor vehicle, in connection with their use of the accommodation. Failure to meet these obligations may result in the University taking disciplinary action which may include requiring a student to leave University accommodation.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

For those that can't get in due to too many people logged on, keep pressing the 'continue' and 'please try again' buttons, that way when someone logs out you get straight in. At least that's how it worked for me.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
I'm really confused about how the process works... I applied for marl/sols but are we meant to have back-up choices?
Original post by Dr. Bassman
I'm really confused about how the process works... I applied for marl/sols but are we meant to have back-up choices?

You can only apply for one.
Reply 4
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn

thanks
I've added a poll that way we can see which type of accommodation is most popular and hence the likelyhood of getting in.

I thought they'd let you go with preferences, and provide other information (I know that's how Exeter does it). I'd rather have Westwood than Woodland although the fact that I applied for Marl/Sols would surely imply that Woodland is a better fit for me (being ensuite and all).
Yeah seems strange why they only allow one prefference. The other unis I've applied for let me have up to 3. :dontknow:

I thought you could only apply for the firm's accommodation? But yeah, it is odd - knowing my luck I'll be chucked in Woodland and have no money for the whole year :tongue:
Sols/Marl Court is going to be massively oversubscribed :frown:
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I thought you could only apply for the firm's accommodation? But yeah, it is odd - knowing my luck I'll be chucked in Woodland and have no money for the whole year :tongue:

Some only allow firmers to apply some allow both. The other one I applied for was kent.

Yeah that's why I applied for the cheapest room going, that way if i don't get that hopefully they'll give me one similar. I probably could afford the ensuite but I'd rather save my money for nights out, food, clothing etc (although hopefully i'll get a job whilst at uni). Plus I'm used to sharing showers and toilets with upwards of 30-40 people so that doesn't bother me.

The good thing about bath though is they are so cheap compared to ucl, kent, sussex and other unis in southern england. In other unis you are looking at £120-£130 per week for just a standard. Ensuites are in the region of £140+!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Contrad!ction.

HAHA!! Although it is quite strnage that they allow us to choose only 1 preference.....

Quick question: Its written that the contract is for 38 weeks only.... wat about the extra 39th week ... as in an academic year has 39 weeks rite so wer is the other 1 week????
Some only allow firmers to apply some allow both. The other one I applied for was kent.

Yeah that's why I applied for the cheapest room going, that way if i don't get that hopefully they'll give me one similar. I probably could afford the ensuite but I'd rather save my money for nights out, food, clothing etc (although hopefully i'll get a job whilst at uni). Plus I'm used to sharing showers and toilets with upwards of 30-40 people so that doesn't bother me.

The good thing about bath though is they are so cheap compared to ucl, kent, sussex and other unis in southern england. In other unis you are looking at £120-£130 per week for just a standard. Ensuites are in the region of £140+.

I don't really mind sharing showers, but the bathroom I have at home is so crap that I'd like a little bit of luxury :tongue:

That's good to know - I've never really had much money, so it's nice to know I'm still saving it :tongue:
Original post by Nikstar95
HAHA!! Although it is quite strnage that they allow us to choose only 1 preference.....

Quick question: Its written that the contract is for 38 weeks only.... wat about the extra 39th week ... as in an academic year has 39 weeks rite so wer is the other 1 week????

I would have liked to put Westwood as an 'insurance'. :frown:

Not too sure on that one...

Actually i think most course end at the end of may and you have accommodation until 16 of june. Don't worry though, i doubt they'll chuck you out before the end of semester lol.
Reply 13
Need some advice here. I just applied for marl/sols. After completing my application, there was a create new application button at the bottom of the screen. So i was wondering are we allowed to have multiple applications? or only one? please advice. Thanks.
Reply 14
Unless i and the rest of the applicants here have missed something lol, i'm pretty sure you are only allowed one application.

NO...No.... wat huntethan said is right .... even I had a button saying create new application at the bottom aftr already applying for Marl/Sols court!!!!

I thought of creating one more but didnt want to complicate my application so left it!!!
Reply 15
Actually i think most course end at the end of may and you have accommodation until 16 of june. Don't worry though, i doubt they'll chuck you out before the end of semester lol.

LOL... Lets just hope they dont!!! :tongue:

Thankz!!!
NO...No.... wat huntethan said is right .... even I had a button saying create new application at the bottom aftr already applying for Marl/Sols court!!!!

I thought of creating one more but didnt want to complicate my application so left it!!!

Yes but if you click on it, it wont allow you to create a new application for this session. It says "You can only have a single application per session. Please apply for a different session or return to the summary page and cancel any existing application before re-applying". I.e. one academic year. The create a new application is for those going to summer school before the start of the year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17

yup same as you. i was afraid if i created another application if may replace my previous application.
Original post by huntethan
yup same as you. i was afraid if i created another application if may replace my previous application.

You can only apply for one trust me. The create a new application is for summer school students.
Reply 19
Yes but if you click on it, it wont allow you to create a new application for this session. It says "You can only have a single application per session. Please apply for a different session or return to the summary page and cancel any existing application before re-applying". I.e. one academic year. The create a new application is for those going to summer school before the start of the year.

OHHHH!!! Thankz for the info... was planning to make one more application!!

Quick Reply

Latest