Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How's my diet plan? :D

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast: A bowl of GOOD cereal (e.g. shredded wheat, or porridge) with milk.
    Lunch: Something small but filling, like 3 pieces of weetabix with flora light and a sliced banana on top.
    Dinner: Something egg, poultry, meat or fish-based (varying throughout the week) with 2 portions of veg or salad with it, and perhaps a pasta-based dish once a week.

Exercise: 20min run on the treadmill every evening, 40 sit-ups and some random arm workouts with small weights. (This will be replaced with much more strenuous gym-time during the term but I can't get a gym membership at home)

Bit of info: I'm 5'2" with a BMI of about 26, I have great huge flabby thighs and calves, flabby arms, a belly that sticks out as much as my boobs (which are not very small) and a chubby face. You can see my collar bones when I stand normally so I'm quite disproportionate.

Any fitness fanatics see anything I'm missing or doing wrong?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Lunch: Something small but filling, like 3 pieces of weetabix with flora light and a sliced banana on top.
    Dinner: Something egg, poultry, meat or fish-based (varying throughout the week) with 2 portions of veg or salad with it, and perhaps a pasta-based dish once a week.

Exercise: 20min run on the treadmill every evening, 40 sit-ups and some random arm workouts with small weights. (This will be replaced with much more strenuous gym-time during the term but I can't get a gym membership at home)

Bit of info: I'm 5'2" with a BMI of about 26, I have great huge flabby thighs and calves, flabby arms, a belly that sticks out as much as my boobs (which are not very small) and a chubby face. You can see my collar bones when I stand normally so I'm quite disproportionate.

Looks good to me, as long as you stick to your plan, make sure you have no carbs/fatty foods later on in the day then you'll be fine

Be sure to treat yourself every once in a while though It will give you something to look forward to!

The only thing I'll say is make sure you're changing up the foods you eat every so often, otherwise you'll get bored of having the same things! I'm sure you knew that, just making sure :}

Good job, and good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

1. Learn to eat properly - some weetabix with some butter and banana on top is not a good meal regardless of what you want to achieve. Get at least a fist sized portion of protein into every meal (ie; eggs, lean meat, fish, beans, nuts seeds & lentils), a quality source of carbs (ie; vegetables, beans & lentils) and plenty of vegetables if you haven't included them already. As far as cereal goes aside porridge or a good muesli most are pretty worthless.

2. Learn how to train properly - a short jog every day, some situps and some bicep curls with light weights are going to do very little to improve your health, performance or appearance. Quality over quantity. For example, a 30-40 minute run at a moderate to hard pace every other day is going to do you more favours than a light 20 minute jog every single day. A 30-60 minute workout of burpees, pushups, chinups, pullups, lunges, squats and jumps (ie; tuck, squat & lunge) 2-3 times per week will 'tone you up' far quicker than 100+ situps and bicep curls with light weights every day.

(Original post by lsaul95)
    Looks good to me, as long as you stick to your plan, make sure you have no carbs/fatty foods later on in the day then you'll be fine
    Myth.

If she's eating a sensible calorie controlled diet it won't make the slightest difference.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Myth.

If she's eating a sensible calorie controlled diet it won't make the slightest difference.
    Really? ooo I did not know this.
    I always thought the consumption of carbs with no exercise, e.g. before you sleep, would cause them to store as fat?
    I'm probably wrong, but thanks for correcting me! You learn something new every day eh?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Terrible diet. Get rid of the frickin grains. Too much omega 6. Say bye bye to cereals, weetabix, porridge, bread and all the other crap. Don't drink milk either, we're not calfs, we're adult humans.

Your diet should be 99% green vegetables, carrots and potatoes. Fruit is ok in moderation too. And get it organic.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    Terrible diet. Get rid of the frickin grains. Too much omega 6. Say bye bye to cereals, weetabix, porridge, bread and all the other crap. Don't drink milk either, we're not calfs, we're adult humans.

Your diet should be 99% green vegetables, carrots and potatoes. Fruit is ok in moderation too. And get it organic.
    My mum makes me eat cereal every morning, can't help that. And it fills me up nice and good til lunchtime.

I think a diet of 99% green veg, carrots and potatoes would have me on the ****ter all day, and its not exactly a balanced diet. What about meat, dairy, bread, staple foods, etc?

I also absolutely hate the taste of veg, it makes me throw up.

I'm not looking for the perfect diet, just something to lose me about a stone!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    Really? ooo I did not know this.
    I always thought the consumption of carbs with no exercise, e.g. before you sleep, would cause them to store as fat?
    I'm probably wrong, but thanks for correcting me! You learn something new every day eh?
    Eating to excess is what makes you fat, that is why a calorie controlled diet is key. If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning you will lose weight regardless of when you consume carbohydrates, protein or fat.

I think a diet of 99% green veg, carrots and potatoes would have me on the ****ter all day, and its not exactly a balanced diet. What about meat, dairy, bread, staple foods, etc?
    Aside from cutting back on grains or at least making better choices he doesn't really understand what he is talking about and is best ignored.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Count calories. Burn more than you eat = win. Simple as that I'm afraid.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    Listen to this guy, he is god-like.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think a diet of 99% green veg, carrots and potatoes would have me on the ****ter all day
    :rofl: :rofl:

Have them in a curry. I like vegetables anyway but if you have them with a tin of chopped tomatoes, curry powder and spices they won't taste like veggies at all :gthumb:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eating to excess is what makes you fat, that is why a calorie controlled diet is key. If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning you will lose weight regardless of when you consume carbohydrates, protein or fat.

Aside from cutting back on grains or at least making better choices he doesn't really understand what he is talking about and is best ignored.
    Hey, you seem really clued up on this stuff, me likey.

Unfortunately I dont have the equipment or space to do a lot of the exercises you advised and I dont have time to do all the cooking thats probably required of having these food every meal. I also have to have my cereal every morning. Better than toast and jam right?

Also I just ate my first ever raw carrot without being sick, I'm quite proud. Are you a believer in 3 square meals a day or six small meals a day?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I dont have the equipment or space to do a lot of the exercises you advised
    Unless you live in solitary confinement I doubt that's the case.

Space? A small 6ft x 4ft patch of carpet/paving/grass is more than enough.

Equipment? I deliberately chose exercises that need no equipment save a pullup bar that you could easily/cheaply buy from Amazon or Argos, or improvise with a strong tree branch, children's climbing frame or football posts.

Even if you don't have both the above in your house/garden (very unlikely) you almost certainly do a short walk/run away.

and I dont have time to do all the cooking thats probably required of having these food every meal.
    The prep work (ie; putting food into saucepans, boiling the kettle and such like) takes a couple of minutes. Steaming some meat/fish and vegetables only takes around half an hour, and while that is happening you can do something else. If you are that short on time you can cook multiple batches of food at the same time to save time.

I also have to have my cereal every morning. Better than toast and jam right?
    Porridge with some fruit and nuts is far better still.

Also I just ate my first ever raw carrot without being sick, I'm quite proud. Are you a believer in 3 square meals a day or six small meals a day?
    It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference as long as you're eating a sensible calorie controlled diet.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference as long as you're eating a sensible calorie controlled diet.
    Hmm, but what about controlling cravings and keeping the metabolic rate steady?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, but what about controlling cravings and keeping the metabolic rate steady?
    Meal frequency does not influence metabolic rate. You will burn the same amount of calories digesting, absorbing and processing the food from 3 meals as you would 6. The only way to increase the amount of calories your burn via eating is to eat more overall which is counterproductive.

Eating plenty of protein, fibre and foods containing water will control cravings, that is where your lean meat, fish, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils and vegetables come in. Meal frequency itself does little (if anything) to control cravings. Most people go wrong by not eating enough of the above in favour of processed junk like breakfast cereals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My mum makes me eat cereal every morning, can't help that. And it fills me up nice and good til lunchtime.

I'm not looking for the perfect diet, just something to lose me about a stone!
    You can have meat, I think it is useless though.., but you should definitely avoid bread and dairy. Also avoid processed food, which is really anything in a box or plastic..
    I personally eat 100% raw vegetables with little fruits...my main source of energy comes from starch of vegetables (potatoes/carrots)

You will lose weight if you follow this diet, but it will lower fat, not lean muscle...so you might lose body weight from fat...not muscle.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend using www.myfitnesspal.com to log your calories, see what proportion of nutrients you need, set your goals and log your exercise. There's also an iphone app
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    I'd recommend using www.myfitnesspal.com to log your calories, see what proportion of nutrients you need, set your goals and log your exercise. There's also an iphone app
    Hey I do actually have that app! Problem with it is that you have to log every single thing that you eat and the exact amount of it, which I often don't know and/or I forget to use it most days xD it is very useful though, thanks
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    :rofl: :rofl:

Have them in a curry. I like vegetables anyway but if you have them with a tin of chopped tomatoes, curry powder and spices they won't taste like veggies at all :gthumb:
    Vegetable curry Now you're talking!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey I do actually have that app! Problem with it is that you have to log every single thing that you eat and the exact amount of it, which I often don't know and/or I forget to use it most days xD it is very useful though, thanks
    Well if you are eating similar things for each meal, you can save a group of foods as a 'meal' and just select the meal rather than going through and finding each food. I did start off weighing things out and this helped me to control my portion sizes, but now I can roughly estimate how much I'm pouring out so I don't bother. Good luck anyway, and never go below 1200 calories a day
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)

There is a little thing called evolution? Maybe you heard of it?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Rice cooker in your uni halls?

Would you bring a rice cooker to uni?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.