Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Housing Contract

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm in rather a pickle here, but I'll try my best at explaining it.

About a month ago, I signed into a contract with 3 of my friends to live in a house close to our university (moving from halls to this house in Sept 12). However, since signing the contract, the three aforementioned 'friends' have become rather...troublesome, and I don't feel like I can trust to live with them any more (words cannot describe the vandalism done to my car by them, thinking it's 'Funny').

I was wondering if anyone knows of any sort of contractual loophole that could get one out of this situation? My contract states itself that I can get out of it if I find a replacement for myself willing to sign into it and pay the deposit. However, upon further clarification from my landlord, my other three housemates have to 'approve' this new person, but I just know they're going to say 'No', so they can keep me with them and torture me until I drop out of university.

Anyone been in this situation previously? There must be something I can do surely?

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does your uni have an advice centre or service you can talk to? They would be the first people I speak to. If not CAB or possibly Shelter would be able to advise you.

It doesn't sound right that your other housemates must approve another person, unless that's explicitly stated in your contract, but I am no expert. It's not something that I've heard of a landlord requesting.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it's not in your contract, then your flatmates don't have to approve them, but it will be useful to have some 'official' weight behind you. Your university should have an accommodation service who can help with this sort of thing (i.e. getting it sorted out before the new tenant gets annoyed and pulls out!). The Students Union should also have someone in the know, and failing that, there's always the CAB (although apparently there can be a noticeable waiting period until you can get an appointment).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only part of my contract I can find that states about changing out the person bound to it (other than various parts that link to sections of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, which I can't really research easily) is as follows.

"IT IS AGREED AND DECLARED that in the event of any one or more of the persons named as the Tenant ("the Applicant") wishing to vacate the Property before the end of the term hereby granted then :-
    (i) the Applicant must give one months written notice to the Landlord and nominate a third party (who shall be acceptable to the Landlords in all respects and as to which the Landlords shall have an absolute discretion whether to accept or to reject such person) to assume the Applicants obligations under this agreement.
    (ii) any acceptable third party must sign this agreement to indicate acceptance of its terms and conditions
    (iii) only when (i) and (ii) are fully complied with shall the Applicant be released from his or her obligations under this agreement (including in particular the obligation to pay rent)
    (iv) all the persons named as the Tenant are jointly and severally responsible for the payment of the whole of the rent and this applies whether or not the Property is fully occupied."

So to me it sounds like there's nothing legally binding that the others would have to sign off on a new tenant. This means I just have to continue my search for a new one. Luckily, my landlord is hearing my cries and has advertised the place officially through the university, so hopefully that'll attract some attention. To the classifieds I tell ye!
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypohamish)
    The only part of my contract I can find that states about changing out the person bound to it (other than various parts that link to sections of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, which I can't really research easily) is as follows.

"IT IS AGREED AND DECLARED that in the event of any one or more of the persons named as the Tenant ("the Applicant") wishing to vacate the Property before the end of the term hereby granted then :-
    (i) the Applicant must give one months written notice to the Landlord and nominate a third party (who shall be acceptable to the Landlords in all respects and as to which the Landlords shall have an absolute discretion whether to accept or to reject such person) to assume the Applicants obligations under this agreement.
    (ii) any acceptable third party must sign this agreement to indicate acceptance of its terms and conditions
    (iii) only when (i) and (ii) are fully complied with shall the Applicant be released from his or her obligations under this agreement (including in particular the obligation to pay rent)
    (iv) all the persons named as the Tenant are jointly and severally responsible for the payment of the whole of the rent and this applies whether or not the Property is fully occupied."

So to me it sounds like there's nothing legally binding that the others would have to sign off on a new tenant. This means I just have to continue my search for a new one. Luckily, my landlord is hearing my cries and has advertised the place officially through the university, so hopefully that'll attract some attention. To the classifieds I tell ye!
    Unfortunately, this is the point where the landlord can get you - he can simply say that the new tenant isn't acceptable to him unless the other housemates have approved them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Unfortunately, this is the point where the landlord can get you - he can simply say that the new tenant isn't acceptable to him unless the other housemates have approved them.
    I was thinking this, but then I thought about this: What if someone gets kicked out of university? What if they choose to leave? What if, financially, they couldn't afford to pay the rent?

There must be some sort of protection for people in those situations, so there should be a similar thing to protect me D:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    No he cannot, and he needs to give an actual reason to reject someone as well - as in one that is reasonable.

A landlord is required to accept a replacement on "reasonable terms" otherwise it would be breaching the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.