Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Intellectual Betrayal of the Poor: and the End of Old Britain?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering how people feel about the democratic values of our nation. I often see a lot of populace things on t.v, but as a PPE student, I often see through the lies.

I saw this article, written by another PPE student, and I know that not all people will accept it; but I believe it is worth a read. Please fee free to tell me what you think. Good or bad , that is the whole point of this post.

http://www.theurbn.com/2012/04/intel...f-old-britain/
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politrics)
    Hi,

I was wondering how people feel about the democratic values of our nation. I often see a lot of populace things on t.v, but as a PPE student, I often see through the lies.

I saw this article, written by another PPE student, and I know that not all people will accept it; but I believe it is worth a read. Please fee free to tell me what you think. Good or bad , that is the whole point of this post.

http://www.theurbn.com/2012/04/intel...f-old-britain/
    Nice story bro. A bit depressive though. lol
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millz)
    Nice story bro. A bit depressive though. lol
    Sad but true.

That's also a good song by Metallica.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article, but I suppose this disassociation of our leaders has always been going on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you , OP, very interesting read.

It's sad that our leaders (and very often we ourselves) view the populace as a baying mob, which must be tricked and cajoled with identity politics etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T463qFGsans
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Typical UK, another extended period of Labour government, the country has gone to hell in a handcart.

Total tossers the lot of them, I mean, quite what kind of party is Labour that could make Lord Snooty and his pals running the country seem like a thoroughly good idea?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Sad but true.

That's also a good song by Metallica.
    The only good song off the Black Album.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh god he's linked Cornell West.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I skimmed the article. Nothing but left-conflationism. Conflating free markets with existing capitalism, failure in the context of markets with market failure, and neo-liberalism with a consistent free market ideology.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    The only good song off the Black Album.
    Enter Sandman, Through the Never, Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven are all great tracks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    very well written article, but is it me, or is there not actually an underlining thesis to it? He claims that free markets are a false notion that have betrayed the poor, but hasn't actually explained the faults within neo-liberalism to suggest such things- nor does he actually focus on the poor themselves, rather, using a collection of obscure, yet perfectly fitting books on a standard university PPE list to make a case with no actual defined purpose.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.