The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B - 19th June 2012 (Pre-release: Nepal)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Harry.K
ohh ****. ive written all over my booklet and its in colour aswell, wtf do i do?

I am pretty sure you'll be given a new copy.
Reply 61
Original post by Harry.K
It's stapled on the left hand corner.. I'll go into school tomorrow and sort it out.. and I never read the info on the front :facepalm:

I'm not 100% sure but if it's stapled in the corner then it sounds to me like it's a copy, and the original booklet has been kept by your teachers to give to you in the exam hall. I think the original would be stapled down the middle like a book?

I think that most teachers wouldn't give out the original as everyone would loose it before the exam haha. We certainly get a copy at our college, so we can doodle on it (but not take it into the exam).
Reply 62
My friend just found the guys flickr who took all of the photos for the pre release in Nepal. She thinks AQA might put one of the ones on his flickr on the paper as an unseen extra to the ones they advised us to look at. Here's the link for you all... I've found it really helpful and we'll be one step ahead if they do put one on the paper!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickwalker/sets/72157623586094841/with/4465366421/
Reply 63
Original post by imightbewrong
Have to say, this is a truly horrible exam to prepare for, especially considering due to having to focus on others I've only got a few days.

My teacher simply got us to work through the now seemingly holy grail of the zig-zag book, which I have done. Apart from becoming familar with the AIB, trying to learn the answers to the research suggestions in the zigzag, and doing some further reading, I honestly can't think of anything else for this exam. I guess I will also have to practice ways of presenting data (graphs) and the statistics, but I can't help but wonder if the stats is a waste of time, considering the limited nature of a data in the booklet.

Anyone else got better ideas? This exam seems very open ended and too an extent, is decided by the synoptic ideas you get on the day as you read the questions in the exam room. Have gotten so used to just learning information for GEOG3 this sort of independent thought has really made revision difficult.

Cheers.

Theres not much else you can do, however I found a teachers forum where some practice/potential questions have been made up. Although they may not come up, I personally think it will help you think about/into the topics a bit more and know the in's and out's of them a bit better:
1. Describe a technique that you would use to show the data in either Figure P3 or P4. Explain why this would be a suitable technique. (8 marks) [Based on Q1a June 2011]
2. To what extent can the Everest region be described as a fragile environment? (This question could involve annotating images from the AQA website mentioned in Item 6 on p.12 of the AIB, alternatively, it could just require reference to them in your answer to show you have looked at them carefully.)
3. Suggest reasons for the increase in tourism in Nepal and across the Himalayas since the 1950s.
4. The Advance Information Booklet advised you to carry out research using the Practical Action website.
a. Describe one project, funded by Practical Action, that is designed to provide access to sustainable energy supplies in Nepal. (6 marks) [Based on Q2a June 2011]
b. Write a justification for spending UK taxpayers’ money on projects to support people who live in Nepal. (12 marks) [Based on Q2b June 2011]
5. Discuss the issues that the physical geography of the Himalayas presents for tourism and other economic activities. (10 marks) [Based on Q3 June 2010]
6. How might the plans for HEP, as described in Item 4, improve conditions for people living in Nepal? (12 marks) [based on Q2c January 2012]
7. Discuss whether initiatives such as the development of HEP as outlined in Item 4 can help countries like Nepal to develop both socially and economically.
8. To what extent do you agree with the statement in Item 4 that “the construction of a hydroelectric project helps the economy of a region, and can also help environmental and social development”?
9. Discuss the extent to which one or more of the following initiatives are likely to help improve the standard of living for the population of Nepal:
The use of cattle dung to generate biogas
The use of solar heaters
The development of HEP
(15 marks) [Based on Q2 January 2011]
10. ‘The retreat of glaciers in the Himalayas is likely to have more effect on the physical environment than on people’. Discuss the extent to which you agree with this statement.
11. ‘Mistakes in scientific research threaten the very environments they aim to save’. Discuss the extent to which you agree with this statement with reference to Item 5.
12. Discuss the issues surrounding Foreign Direct Investment as a tool for developing HEP in Nepal.
13. ‘Collaboration is the key to success of biogas in Nepal’. With reference to Item 3, how far do you agree with this statement?
14. To what extent is biogas the solution to the fuelwood crisis outlined in Item 3?
15. Is tourism the key to development in Nepal?
16. Identify and comment on the environmental issues facing the Khumbu region of Nepal, as outlined in Item 2.
17. Identify and justify one environmental issue from those listed below which should be prioritised for action.
Rubbish left behind by trekkers
Air and water pollution
Water supplies
18. Are the solutions to the environmental problems facing the Khumbu region described in Item 2 fit for purpose?
19. How has the physical geography of the Himalayas affected the development of Nepal as a country?
Reply 64
has anyone made any notes on their computer they'd be AMAZING enough to send me? i'd made some and my whole computer restarted and it was all lost :frown: PLEASE? i have absolutely NO idea how to prepare for this exam!!
Original post by Tarjers
Theres not much else you can do, however I found a teachers forum where some practice/potential questions have been made up. Although they may not come up, I personally think it will help you think about/into the topics a bit more and know the in's and out's of them a bit better:
1. Describe a technique that you would use to show the data in either Figure P3 or P4. Explain why this would be a suitable technique. (8 marks) [Based on Q1a June 2011]
2. To what extent can the Everest region be described as a fragile environment? (This question could involve annotating images from the AQA website mentioned in Item 6 on p.12 of the AIB, alternatively, it could just require reference to them in your answer to show you have looked at them carefully.)
3. Suggest reasons for the increase in tourism in Nepal and across the Himalayas since the 1950s.
4. The Advance Information Booklet advised you to carry out research using the Practical Action website.
a. Describe one project, funded by Practical Action, that is designed to provide access to sustainable energy supplies in Nepal. (6 marks) [Based on Q2a June 2011]
b. Write a justification for spending UK taxpayers’ money on projects to support people who live in Nepal. (12 marks) [Based on Q2b June 2011]
5. Discuss the issues that the physical geography of the Himalayas presents for tourism and other economic activities. (10 marks) [Based on Q3 June 2010]
6. How might the plans for HEP, as described in Item 4, improve conditions for people living in Nepal? (12 marks) [based on Q2c January 2012]
7. Discuss whether initiatives such as the development of HEP as outlined in Item 4 can help countries like Nepal to develop both socially and economically.
8. To what extent do you agree with the statement in Item 4 that “the construction of a hydroelectric project helps the economy of a region, and can also help environmental and social development”?
9. Discuss the extent to which one or more of the following initiatives are likely to help improve the standard of living for the population of Nepal:
The use of cattle dung to generate biogas
The use of solar heaters
The development of HEP
(15 marks) [Based on Q2 January 2011]
10. ‘The retreat of glaciers in the Himalayas is likely to have more effect on the physical environment than on people’. Discuss the extent to which you agree with this statement.
11. ‘Mistakes in scientific research threaten the very environments they aim to save’. Discuss the extent to which you agree with this statement with reference to Item 5.
12. Discuss the issues surrounding Foreign Direct Investment as a tool for developing HEP in Nepal.
13. ‘Collaboration is the key to success of biogas in Nepal’. With reference to Item 3, how far do you agree with this statement?
14. To what extent is biogas the solution to the fuelwood crisis outlined in Item 3?
15. Is tourism the key to development in Nepal?
16. Identify and comment on the environmental issues facing the Khumbu region of Nepal, as outlined in Item 2.
17. Identify and justify one environmental issue from those listed below which should be prioritised for action.
Rubbish left behind by trekkers
Air and water pollution
Water supplies
18. Are the solutions to the environmental problems facing the Khumbu region described in Item 2 fit for purpose?
19. How has the physical geography of the Himalayas affected the development of Nepal as a country?

Have you got any notes on answers for these?
Reply 66
Reply 67
Anyone feeling very unprepared? :frown:
Reply 68
Original post by gl71994

Revise the following:

Climate Graph
Page 10 - two photos how they will damage tourist industry
Practical Action - Renewable Energy Villages and evaluate their success
Energy and development
Tourism benefits/problems.

I think they'll be the questions - just an educated guess though.
Reply 69
Original post by gl71994

ME! I'm literally reading everything now like a mad woman o.0
Reply 71
Do we need to know course content for the exam like stuff wednesdays exam etc? :s-smilie:
Reply 72
Original post by chacha1306
Do we need to know course content for the exam like stuff wednesdays exam etc? :s-smilie:

Some of it would be useful, but they can't expect everyone to know it because people do different modules. So just learn a bit about glaciers and the effect of tourism etc, just the subject areas in the booklet.
Original post by DavidCrow
Revise the following:

Climate Graph
Page 10 - two photos how they will damage tourist industry
Practical Action - Renewable Energy Villages and evaluate their success
Energy and development
Tourism benefits/problems.

I think they'll be the questions - just an educated guess though.

I was thinking along similar lines, good spots. The only things I would add is the data in P3 and P4 could be asked to be manipulated. pie chart? stats test on it? Also I reckon they could make you evaluate the IPCC's climate change evaluation, with the contrasting viewpoints.

Not happy with this exam! Demoralising that it is 40% of the A level.
Reply 74
I was thinking along similar lines, good spots. The only things I would add is the data in P3 and P4 could be asked to be manipulated. pie chart? stats test on it? Also I reckon they could make you evaluate the IPCC's climate change evaluation, with the contrasting viewpoints.

It's 40% of the A2, not the A level. In that regard it is only 20%. (still significant though) D:
Reply 75

What have you got for evaluating the IPCC? All I know is whats in the booklet and then a general overview of what it is. :/

Can't see myself improving on my January grade sadly. :frown:
Original post by ihateocr
It's 40% of the A2, not the A level. In that regard it is only 20%. (still significant though) D:

: ) Your're right, i meant 40% of the A2. Still a catastrophic amount...

Original post by gl71994
What have you got for evaluating the IPCC? All I know is whats in the booklet and then a general overview of what it is. :/

Can't see myself improving on my January grade sadly. :frown:

Nothing really, only had a few days get ready :frown:. I'm just going to have to think about it on the spot, but it is the sort of thing I guess they'd do. Guess you'd have to consider bias (would it be in the UN's interest to make things sound worse than they are? probably, as it would get countries working together/onboard, the history of climate change conferences like Kyoto, Copenghagen and more recently Durban are not good), and then look at the two viewpoints 1. glaciers are melting in the himalyas - the question here is by how much 2. actually they are getting bigger. have a look at these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/20/ipcc-himalayan-glaciers-mistake

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17701677

As my username suggests, I might be totally wrong. Its just seems like a decent synopotic topic for big dave to ask... :smile:

It says in the A2 textbook as an examiner tip to back up your opinions with evidence to ensure good marks, is evidence from the AIB good enough or is the evidence supposed to come from our own further research for the marks? Are we expected to recall statistics we've researched? :|
Original post by Ryaaaaannnnn

It says in the A2 textbook as an examiner tip to back up your opinions with evidence to ensure good marks, is evidence from the AIB good enough or is the evidence supposed to come from our own further research for the marks? Are we expected to recall statistics we've researched? :|

If you are looking for higher grades, statistics are good. I reccomend you just have a look at some population data on the CIA world factbook for Nepal. As per the first item and its paragraph on economy, perhaps have a look at GDP per capita for some Himalayan countries, and stuff like economic growth rate, population growth rate. Really good, as you can drop them in an relate them to most things, including physical factors. Even just talking about some things you've research are good. The key concepts of a news report or a study are great to include. Again I've never done GEOG4B before (my only chance at it!! D:smile:, but I'm just assuming.
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone have the geog4b paper for Jan?

Quick Reply

Latest