The Student Room Group

How much extra do taxis charge after midnight?

Me and some mates are going on a night out on Tuesday and are going to share a taxi back but I've heard it is quite expensive after a certain time?
Also would it be possible for the taxi driver to drop us off in seperate villages (they are all quite close together)
Anyone does this before?

Thanks
Where im from if you're a guy it turns to double fares after 12 where as for hot girls it stays the same. Aaaand I tried to do that (get dropped off separate villages) but he said one stop only so I had to walk to the next village in a t shirt at 5AM :frown: I guess you should just check with him before you get in the car. Different ranks will have diff rules/ prices
Reply 2
I've never had to pay anymore than usual rate for a taxi after midnight... but I guess it may depend on what area you're in and what taxi firm you use.

Why don't you ring them before going out and asking for a quote? :smile:
Original post by <3x
I've never had to pay anymore than usual rate for a taxi after midnight... but I guess it may depend on what area you're in and what taxi firm you use.

Why don't you ring them before going out and asking for a quote? :smile:

This. Where are you from OP? Where I'm from I always get taxis home with my mates/girlfriend and get charged normal rates and they have no problem going to places close.
Reply 4
Must depend on the area..I haven't noticed a difference in price though it could depend on the companies as well I suppose.

As for dropping off at multiple destinations...that's rather standard for a taxi driver driving a group of people back from an event. I mean you'd want to mention the destinations you want to go when you get in, but I can't see them turning out what is relatively easy money (long journey, don't have to pick up different people, can plan the easiest route).

Only thing you'd want is to make sure friends who get out early on give you money for their journey. Some taxi drivers might reset the metre at each destination if you ask, but in my personal experience they'll just charge the whole amount at the final stop.
Kyle is gay
I think they've been pretty much the same rates tbh.

Original post by joey11223
Must depend on the area..I haven't noticed a difference in price though it could depend on the companies as well I suppose.

As for dropping off at multiple destinations...that's rather standard for a taxi driver driving a group of people back from an event. I mean you'd want to mention the destinations you want to go when you get in, but I can't see them turning out what is relatively easy money (long journey, don't have to pick up different people, can plan the easiest route).

Only thing you'd want is to make sure friends who get out early on give you money for their journey. Some taxi drivers might reset the metre at each destination if you ask, but in my personal experience they'll just charge the whole amount at the final stop.

Yeah definitely do this, the amount of times I've forgotten to ask then landed the whole bill (though luckily friends did pay back). It's not exactly fair to reset at each destination if you live close to each other anyway as then the first person pays the majority, in my groups people will usually just pay a little over the split cost to their destination when they get off (ie if there are 3 people and the bill at 1st person's place is £3 total they pay like £1.50)
Reply 7
they will give you a fixed price from here to there, and most cases bargain has no use.
Depends on the company, the area and how far you're going.

Best thing to do is ring round for quotes. I had most companies quoting me £50 from stafford to Stoke at 2am, and one quoted £25 (they didn't charge for the time they're travelling while you're not a passenger)
Reply 9
usually around 4.50 to get to town before a night out, like £8 on way back... robbers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending